Why is it that...

If it's $20 for a trial month with no obligation, you should definitely do it. If you can't spare the time, I'm sure other qualified individuals you know can.

If it's $20 for a trial month with no obligation, you should definitely do it. If you can't spare the time, I'm sure other qualified individuals you know can.

no, i definitely can. i have absolutely no life outside of training. i mean i live here for christs sake.

i'm just not so sure now. i kinda feel bad for them. apparently when his first place went out of business he sent 10 students our way. i wasn't aware of that.

still opening up half a block away is just bad practice... though he's literally right next store to kioto.

maybe he thinks kioto is going to close down like kings is due to instructors moving to xtreme couture, and he thinks in can move in on our turf...

Technically there are leg locks in Judo.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but......

The only difference between Judo and BJJ are the rules and strategy. The basic techniques are the same, each has just evolved differently.

There I've said it. Now I'll be hated by both sides.

Okay, technically true. Katame-no-kata's last move, for instance, is a leg lock. However, they're not allowed in competition, and the only time I've ever seen them practiced is when there's a sambo or BJJ instructor, or an old school Kawashi judo guy. Though maybe there will be revival of leg locks in judo because of this ... my old instructor had a kawashi judo background, and he would sometimes practice leg locks. BTW, technically there is also striking (atemi) in judo. But the whole point of judo (according to Kano, not just me) is that you perfect the technique by applying them against resisting opponents ... ie you spar (randori) with them. How often are leg locks and/or striking done in randori?

I think you're half right about the rules and strategy, but a big part of technique is setting up the throw or submission. Anyone can throw if the person is off balance, anyone can do a submission if you're already in position. Getting there is where judo and BJJ differ ... judo is much more advanced in setting up throws, BJJ in setting up submissions.

That's being going on before we were born.

Shawn Tompkins started his MMA Team Tompkins straight from his 'karate' club and he is now an elite trainer to the likes of Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Sokoudjou and many others....as well as having a personal stable of Mark Hominik, Sam Stout, Chris Hordecki and many others....

You know, that's actually a good question.

I don't consider that the martial art necessarily has to be "style x, style y, or style z" just that it works. Look at Machida. If Machida, tommorow, opened up an MMA academy where he taught karate and jiu jitsu, as well at the blended applications for MMA, that's MMA. It's something effective and mixed together in application. Same thing if I were to open up a school that used judo, sambo, and Sanda for its MMA base. If it works together, it's MMA because it's effective and mixed.

If it's an arbitrary throwing together of martial arts, like JJJ, aikido, and Kuk Soo Won, and they're not integrated, then it's not MMA, it's just three martial arts.

At least, that's my opinion.

hmm..ok..so let say.i'm a black belt in taekwondo and also black belt in judo.i blend both martial art and cut out the katas.theorically it might be effective system.and i teach it in a mma school but i still emphasise tt its a blend of taekwondo and judo.so will it still be a legit mma system?

if you look closely.. the guys in the back are smiling/laughing.

hmm..ok..so let say.i'm a black belt in taekwondo and also black belt in judo.i blend both martial art and cut out the katas.theorically it might be effective system.and i teach it in a mma school but i still emphasise tt its a blend of taekwondo and judo.so will it still be a legit mma system?

If ypu spar and compete in MMA with your stable of fighters then yes

i too think its a troll, but the guy posts on a bunch of forums with a straight face and still hasn't declared it a work. its a lot of effort for a dodgey joke, and he actually has some vids of bad kickboxing fights with the guy in the ground work video. seriously retarded.

Well all the schools in my area are not bad. They offer specialized classes with blackbelts in individual disciplines, and then they offer MMA classes which take assistant instructors from each discipline along with local MMA who are fighting pro and they made a custom program for people who want to study MMA.

I like it, if you want to go for boxing only one day you can do that, if you feel like trying some new standup you learned the next day you can take it to the MMA class and work on your implementation in sparring. Seems like a really good system.

Back