Why is it that...

lol, don't they think there,s enough?

limapfr5.jpg

Nice work with the map Mikey. But if you think that's the end of it, imagine 2 or 3 years from now. We've got all the jits in the world, soon there's going to be an assload of Muay Thai instructors moving in trying to get their MMA on with all the guidos and fighters. (and even better, all the browns at affiliates might be black belts by then) I just don't want our little clique infested with aikido guys and posers.

Are you kidding? I know it's not a mecca yet, but PA has a lot of good BJJ clubs.
Outside of Philly and the Burg...legit BJJ clubs are scattered. It is not like NY, Fl, or CA. Sometimes I could kick myslf for moving from Florida to PA.

hmm..sorry.isnt mixed martial art is a system that is a mixture of martial arts?so if a system is a combination of taekwondo,jjj and judo isnt it (mix)ture of martial art?

hmm..sorry.isnt mixed martial art is a system that is a mixture of martial arts?so if a system is a combination of taekwondo,jjj and judo isnt it (mix)ture of martial art?

Technically, yes. Practically by the definition of MMA as a combative sport/hobby/system of self-defense, no.

Because arbitrarily throwing together martial arts deemed ineffective such as TKD, aikido, etc, having your students do forms, and calling them MMA is different from putting together combat sports and blending them together in such a way that they can be effective in competition.

people will figure out tht the classes and coaches suck after 1 lesson and then go to a better mma skool

Because arbitrarily throwing together martial arts deemed ineffective such as TKD, aikido, etc, having your students do forms, and calling them MMA is different from putting together combat sports and blending them together in such a way that they can be effective in competition.

So mixed martial arts is defined by what martial art is being taught and if it's being effectively blended together?

So what martial arts qualify? If the qualifying martial arts aren't blended together effectively, then is it still considered MMA?

If I open a wrestling school that only teaches bum rushes and WWF-style techniques is it wrestling? Sure we wrestle, the moves are legal in wrestling, but... seeing as what I'm teaching would be almost entirely ineffective in any competitive wrestling setting it's not what most people mean when they say "wrestling".

The terms' meanings have evolved to encompass a set of techniques that are effective in competition. MMA is no longer just a description--it has become a name for something more specific.

If you prefer think of it this way--when someone signs up for MMA they think they're signing up for applicable MMA, if they're getting junk then they're being mislead.

Technically there are leg locks in Judo.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but......

The only difference between Judo and BJJ are the rules and strategy. The basic techniques are the same, each has just evolved differently.

There I've said it. Now I'll be hated by both sides.

I agree with you and renzo gracie does too just read his book .

bjj's roots is judo ,

judo pre ww2 was in its enfancy and looked alot like bjj the rules pre ww2 judo were just like bjj you hit the ground you keep going until a sub or pin occured no stand ups (look up kosen judo thats pre ww2 judo thats still taught today ).

when the judoka left for brazil he left before kano changed the rules . kano noticed the throws where being left behind , and what we call guard pulling was favored .

in brazil he taught the gracies his form of judo(pre ww2style) while challenging vale tudo style matches . then he left the gracies to form there own style of heavy ground influenced judo that is light years ahead of judo newaza . they made it intot here own art .

the only difference is the structure of both arts and how much they train the difference aspects . but really the best thing would be to just train both and get a base of both cuz it they really compliment each other .

So mixed martial arts is defined by what martial art is being taught and if it's being effectively blended together?

So what martial arts qualify? If the qualifying martial arts aren't blended together effectively, then is it still considered MMA?

You know, that's actually a good question.

I don't consider that the martial art necessarily has to be "style x, style y, or style z" just that it works. Look at Machida. If Machida, tommorow, opened up an MMA academy where he taught karate and jiu jitsu, as well at the blended applications for MMA, that's MMA. It's something effective and mixed together in application. Same thing if I were to open up a school that used judo, sambo, and Sanda for its MMA base. If it works together, it's MMA because it's effective and mixed.

If it's an arbitrary throwing together of martial arts, like JJJ, aikido, and Kuk Soo Won, and they're not integrated, then it's not MMA, it's just three martial arts.

At least, that's my opinion.

obvious answer: if mma is becoming mainstream, there's money to be made. as long as supply meets demand, these mcdojo mma things will keep popping up.

on the bright side, if you're well versed in mma, you'll know the difference between a good gym, and a bad one.

also, these will never produce successful fighters, which means their demise in the long run.

obvious answer: if mma is becoming mainstream, there's money to be made. as long as supply meets demand, these mcdojo mma things will keep popping up.

on the bright side, if you're well versed in mma, you'll know the difference between a good gym, and a bad one.

also, these will never produce successful fighters, which means their demise in the long run.

yes, but why open in between 2 legit, serious schools that are only 1-block away from each other to begin with???

I sympathize with you. I too have seen these mcdojos that brand themselves as MMA schools just because its the cool new thing now. There is a school my GF's little bro goes to, the teacher is a black belt in kenpo karate, and they got a guy whos fought once professionally in MMA, and they claim their an MMA school and that you train with professionals. Such BS, i watched their "MMA" class, i was loling so much. They taught armbars by having one person lie on their side and extend their arm in the air while the other person grabs it steps over the persons body and falls back.

people always fear what they cant understand. i could rip out your clavicle in 1 second.

yes but the real skill is in how fast you could put it back in. that's where the real money is. as in "hey look, i tore your clavicle out, for 500 i'll put it right back at the same speed.". i want a finder's fee when you start making cash hand over fist off that one.

yes, but why open in between 2 legit, serious schools that are only 1-block away from each other to begin with???

maybe the zoning in your area is so screwy that soon the whole block will be nothing but martial art academies.

So they can undercut the serious schools' prices by selling crap to the gullible.

"Look how much you save training with us!"

So they can undercut the serious schools' prices by selling crap to the gullible.

"Look how much you save training with us!"

yeah, i just saw a sign that said "19.99/month special!"

i think it's worth it for me to sign up for a month and thoroughly own everyone in their on a daily basis until they realize instructors are supposed to know what they're doing, and they go to a real school.

yeah, i just saw a sign that said "19.99/month special!"

i think it's worth it for me to sign up for a month and thoroughly own everyone in their on a daily basis until they realize instructors are supposed to know what they're doing, and they go to a real school.

20 bucks for entertainment for a month is totally worth it.

However I'm willing to bet:

a) You get disgusted and quit before the month is over
b) You are asked to leave and not come back for making fools of people

Back