Why Is It That Ronda Rousey Isn't Considered A Hateable Bully?

Maybe because if you work harder, train longer, and dedicate your life to becoming one of the best in the world in an area of expertise (hand to hand combat), then you're not a bully, you're just better prepared and being suitably rewarded for your effort and dedication.

If I go to school, stick it out through high school and earn a PHD but you don't bother learning to read until you're in your 20s, am I a bully if I write a better book than you?

If I start learning to play the guitar at the age of 12 and you pick up a guitar at the age of 20 and I get a record deal and you don't, am I being a bully?

People respect hard work, dedication and success. No matter how you cut it Rousey has put in tens of thousands of hours over a decade of a half of her life to succeed in Judo and MMA. They also respect human beings who are passionate about pursuing their dreams.

Is it Rousey's fault that others didn't train as hard or as long? Or that others in her sport (Judo) or other combat sports weren't willing to take the risk to take a leap of faith into a sport that didn't exist at the highest professional level and was essentially paid minimum wage when she could have returned to school, trained for another Olympics, or sought another job?

People who focus exclusively on the skill/athleticism gap between men's and women's MMA are entirely missing the point.

Women's MMA is younger than men's MMA, so obviously the talent pool isn't going to be as deep. The skill levels aren't nearly going to be as well established. That's what being a younger sport means.

It would be like criticizing the skill levels of male MMA fighters because Boxers fight at a higher average level of technical proficiency as a whole and have a deeper pool of talent to draw on.

People forget that when Rousey, Tate, Zingano and McMann entered the sport it was hard for them to even find a gym that would let them in the doors let alone coach them. Rousey's coach Edmond wouldn't even give her the time of day for MONTHS. Think about that, an Olympic medalist Judoka couldn't get someone to train her.

Could you even imagine what it would be like to be an Olympic medal MAN and be told that they weren't interested in training you? Put yourself in her shoes, or the shoes of these other women.

We men don't think about the difficulties that these early generations of WMMA pioneers have had to endure just to get access to training, access to mat time, access to coaching... hell, to even GET a fight.

And considering that it is MEN that have provided the greatest obstacles to women attaining the skills that YOU are complaining about them not having, it's the worst sort of victim blaming.

Yes, the same Men who snicker and glare when a woman walks into a gym looking for someone to work pads, spend mat time, or sit in on a class. The same Men who snicker that women aren't built to fight even though martial arts has a LONG history of female involvement. The same Men who look at a woman who is interested in Athletics and make rude remarks that they look masculine or unattractive because they want to maximize their physical potential.

No, Rousey is not the GOAT in terms of skills or talent. However, she is possibly the most important athlete that WMMA has ever seen. And she may be the most important athlete that MMA has seen this generation.

For decades MMA has been marginalized, treated as bloodsport, viewed as the haven of psychopaths, brutes and meat heads. And now comes along a woman who is changing public perception.

MMA is now being held up as an example of meritocracy, where regardless of gender, regardless of upbringing a person can ascend to the peak of the sport. They can become the most famous, the most highly paid and the highest draw. Rousey is being lauded in many quarters not because she's a woman, but because she is being embraced and respected in the sport IN SPITE of being a woman.

And because of that MMA is getting more exposure, more acceptance, and more attention than it ever has. It has the opportunity to win over the mainstream public and with it the benefits that come along with being a mainstream sport in terms of corporate sponsorship, full media coverage and public discussion.

If you LOVE MMA, I mean truly love MMA as a sport then you should be embracing Rousey and what she's doing for the sport. What does it matter if most of the fans are casual fans? EVERY sport has casual fans.

Go to a super bowl party... how many people have no idea who half the players are, what their regular season records are, or what the rest of the teams did in a particular year? Casual fans doesn't kill the sport, it STRENGTHENS a sport because it means that there's more opportunities to create Hardcore fans.

Did the NBA suffer because people wanted to see the freak that was Wilt Chamberlain? Or to find out what all the fuss over Dr. J. was about? No, all it did was grow the sport and increase participation.

Should WMMA survive into the future, 50 years from now Rousey will be remembered as an icon of MMA with the same loving reference as Babe Ruth. There will undoubtedly be better athletes to come along just as Babe Ruth couldn't compete in modern baseball. However, it doesn't matter.

Babe Ruth put Baseball on the map in a way that few had done before him. And that he was decades ahead of his time in skill and athletic talent was irrelevant. People tuned in because relative to his peers he was the Greatest.

And as much as you may not like it, what we're seeing now is History in the making. WMMA history. MMA history. Sports history.

Just appreciate it for what it is. You have a front seat to combat sports history in a way that few do. The only difference is that when people talk about whether the modern fighter of the day is being compared to the greats like GSP, Fedor, Anderson and Rousey, you'll actually be able to say with some confidence whether they actually could live up to the legends of the sport.

Damn good post.

Lmao so should Ronda retire for being too good?

It's like that here on Sherdog.

A few of us, capable men with high IQs, plenty of knowledge and life experience. Long time MMA veterans. We are the Rondas.

Then there's the rest of you fuckin Shertards, who just don't seem to have it in you to lift your game. Making retarded threads like this one.

Hilarious post man, comedy gold. A solid 7/10. Especially referring to yourself as a long time veteran with a 2013 join date.

She'll be one of WWE's top rasslers.

She's no where near as good looking as the top divas. She's be a sideshow at best. She'll be better as an occasional star, like Brock. Mostly appearances, but not a lot of time in the ring.

This is it.

Not sure why people have turned this into an "it's not her fault she's better than her opponents" issue. The issue is her personality and all the casual fan adoration from people who have no clue how she portrayed herself prior to her appearance at Wrestlemania.

I love her personality and know plenty of people who do, and I have been following her since the beginning of her MMA career

Here's a person that has been training a craft that applies exceptionally well to women's MMA since she was a little kid. It's just not possible for her low-level athletic opponents to ever close that gap since many of them didn't train MMA or work grappling seriously until they were adults. It'd be like if college wrestling champs were wrestling kids from Junior High School. What is there to be impressed about or cheer?

Yeah, why would anyone cheer for Roy Jones Jr or Mike Tyson or Fedor or Mayweather or GSP or...?

Oh yeah, because some fans are able to recognize a cultural phenomenon when we see one. Ronda is transcending, and it's fun to see how far the ride can go before she gets bumped off through hubris or any other factor. Anyone can see an ordinary champion struggle and hand off the belt after one defense. It's fun to see someone push it, and it's bringing a shitload of new money into the sport that was not there before her. Why be a bitch about it and make constant repetitious threads saying the same dumb shit?

Hilarious post man, comedy gold. A solid 7/10. Especially referring to yourself as a long time veteran with a 2013 join date.

You see what I did? Made a post to entertain both sides. Genius indeed. You are from the latter of the two.

I remember this site when it was a Geocities site you 2005 noob.

Ronda is a serious bitch.

Yeah. Ronda's the one making crybaby threads and posting crybaby posts about a dominant champion who is charismatic and clean. She's such a bitch, right? Not her haters. They're not whiny bitchasses. It's Ronda. Sure thing.

When people start saying "unfair" you know your doing itvright.

Those saying Ronda will be broke and forgotten in 10 years are really pathetic, as well as totslly blind to the gigantic cultural impact she's already made. I got bitches at work talking about her that would never in a million years watch MMA. But sure, tell yourself she'll be a forgotten nobody in a decade. That should help you babies sleep at night.

Those saying Ronda will be broke and forgotten in 10 years are really pathetic, as well as totslly blind to the gigantic cultural impact she's already made. I got bitches at work talking about her that would never in a million years watch MMA. But sure, tell yourself she'll be a forgotten nobody in a decade. That should help you babies sleep at night.

Lol it's true.

And memes about her went pretty much viral in the mainstream- about both her skills (straight out of opponents etc) and her looks ('when the fighter looks better than the models' & 'I'd only last 34 seconds with Ronda rousey too')

Even guys like McGregor make peace with their opponent after the bell. She doesn't seem to understand that everybody talks thrash in the build up to a fight but she seems to take it personally cause she's a complete drama queen. She refused to shake Cupocake's hand after their fight then that pathetic "don't cry" to an unconscious opponent.

some people call her "a breath of fresh air" for how real she is. I'm conflicted. I don't get into the fake ass squawking that most fighters do leading up to the fight. I don't need any of it. But on the other hand she is showing what I believe to be her true colors. I don't know if I respect that or just continue DVRing the fights and fast forwarding to the action.

Lol it's true.

And memes about her went pretty much viral in the mainstream- about both her skills (straight out of opponents etc) and her looks ('when the fighter looks better than the models' & 'I'd only last 34 seconds with Ronda rousey too')

They'll just keep pretending that their tiny world represents the whole. Then in 20 years when people are still writing about her and the impact she made, these fools will be scratching their heads, still not getting it. "Why are they still writing about that bully?"

Why isn't Ronda considered a bully?...Cyroid.

ts, you would be impressed if you could accomplish one percent of what ronda has achieved in her life. don't hate her because you failed in life.

Rhonda isn't a bully. She's what Royce Gracie was to early MMA. She's just the best in an early but talent-empty division. Difference is that Royce would fight any comers from any weight class, and didn't say anything. Rhonda talks loads of shit but won't fight anyone outside her talentless weight class. Royce was a bad-ass, Rhonda is in it to get rich and talk shit.

Rhonda isn't a bully. She's what Royce Gracie was to early MMA. She's just the best in an early but talent-empty division. Difference is that Royce would fight any comers from any weight class, and didn't say anything. Rhonda talks loads of shit but won't fight anyone outside her talentless weight class. Royce was a bad-ass, Rhonda is in it to get rich and talk shit.

You want her to fight outside her "talentless" weight class, to go up to a weight class that is literally empty minus a convicted roid cheat who thinks she can call all the shots? Yeah, okay.

Ronda by domination and early stoppage at any weight, IMO. Too bad Cyborg pissed hot and ruined her own career, or there is a small chance 145 is in the UFC and Cyborg would have already gotten her ass murdered in there and went back to fighting 135ers that are blowing up to get a paycheck.

The Dana White mind trick is way more powerful and effective than the Jedi mind trick.

Even guys like McGregor make peace with their opponent after the bell. She doesn't seem to understand that everybody talks thrash in the build up to a fight but she seems to take it personally cause she's a complete drama queen. She refused to shake Cupocake's hand after their fight then that pathetic "don't cry" to an unconscious opponent.

Although I don't agree with all of Ronda's "drama," I can't figure out why you guys keep bitching about her not behaving like the squeaky clean, girl-next-door athlete. She is a FIGHTER and has been trained to be one, since a child.

This is a girl who has been training since a child to throw people down as hard as possible, and break their arms. She left high school early to train. She had a pop who took himself out and a mom who would attack her unexpectedly just to prepare her for combat.

How the heck would you be surprised that she doesn't see the world, or respond in social settings like a lot of other people .....?

Back