Why is it so hard to make a profit out of an MMA promotion?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right now it’s Covid, so the past year makes sense.

No audience, hard to get a TV deal.

But shouldn’t the UFC have more competitors?

Elite XC went under.

UFC doesn’t pay newcomers much.

Today there is only Bellator and ONE FC out in Korea that I can name.

Do no investors want to start an American rival MMA promotion?

Sports simply not that big in large parts of the world. Plus the UFC has focused so much on building their brand rather then the sport the vast majority of fans don't know about other orga or don't care and it's hard to blame them when there's already so much content with the UFC . Anyone who thinks MMA will ever surpass major sports like soccer , football , boxing etc is kidding themselves .

Elite XC went under.

at this point there's no real prospect for making an mma promotion at least in the us as the elite's (ufc, bellator, pfl) have already filled the demand. regional show companies are good though and typically work out, especially in smaller cities where the bigger orgs don't go to.

Sports simply not that big in large parts of the world. Plus the UFC has focused so much on building their brand rather then the sport the vast majority of fans don't know about other orga or don't care and it's hard to blame them when there's already so much content with the UFC . Anyone who thinks MMA will ever surpass major sports like soccer , football , boxing etc is kidding themselves .
It already surpassed Boxing

The UFC runs just about every week. I think that satisfies the MMA desire for most people.

Elite XC went under.

Because when you message people on Facebook about pirating your event they troll you

https://www.pflmma.com/news/profess...w-capital-brings-total-funding-to-175-million

But the answer to your question, TS, is that yes, it's hard to get TV deals.

And smaller orgs than that are even harder to profit from. Matt Lindland started FightSport here in Portland, and after a few years sold his share to partners. Said he was tired of spending $100k upfront then working his ass off to maybe make $50k and maybe lose $50k.

EDIT: sorry, that's CageSport, not FightSport.

The ufc starting is still usually above most other leagues non champion payment.

Back