Why is it ok to discriminate against smokers...

I always find it funny that when im in my car giving someone a ride who isnt a smoker and i light up they scoff at me. its like look here asshole, my car, my rules. im doing your ass a favor.

Hmm you have a point but I have to ask, are they aware that you are going to smoke in your car before the ride? Sounds like you don't tell them. If not it is something you should say before hand, hey I hope you don't mind that I smoke in the car. Some people are sensitive to it and it can give them a headache or whatever and having know that possibly would not have asked for the ride. If you tell them that, they accept the ride and they still scoff they can suck a dick. I do understand you are doing them a favor but I think it would be a good common courtesy to inform them you smoke in the car.

I went through a couple studies in the first link and they talked about how some studies were biased one way or another and should be examined for scientific honesty. Didn't go through the rest based on that sample.

The second link talked solely about how there were myths regarding smoking and second-hand smoke. The article made absolutely no mention as to what these myths were or provided studies to make a case either way.

Third link talked exclusively about second-hand smoke and cancer while completely ignoring a host of other respiratory illnesses that smoking causes or exacerbates.

On a personal note i fail to see how breathing second hand smoke can be worst that the pollution and shit any city dweller breathes in on a dialy basis...

When people smokes it affects other people. If someone's a fat mess, that's their problem. They're not filling the room with smoke.

Except for that fatties like smokers wreck health care. And unlike smokers wear out elevators and what not too

Huh? Fat people take get way more shit than smokers.
Let's just be disgusted by both.

After I hang out with a fat person I don't come home smelling of crappy fat food. Smokers on the other hand send you home with their stink. It's like if anytime you hung out with someone drinking a beer they spilled it all over you. Wouldn't that be really annoying?

I'm a bit torn on sin taxing, but I end up agreeing with you after some thought. I tend to be a bit of a Millsian Libertarian in the sense where you should be able to do whatever you want, without penalty, as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. But if you take crappy care of yourself, you actually do end up hurting others financially so it does make sense that you should have to pay for that.

However, I just don't think a sin tax on crap food would ever work in the same way it has on cigarettes because a much larger proportion of people eat poorly and would fight it every step of the way. I remember they tried to put a sin tax on soda in NY a few years back, and the proposal fell flat on its face.

Wasn't it because of the way Bloomberg went about it (I believe he used some advisory panel to circumvent the legislature)?

I always find it funny that when im in my car giving someone a ride who isnt a smoker and i light up they scoff at me. its like look here asshole, my car, my rules. im doing your ass a favor.

Smokers can be a pain in the ass if you are giving them a ride and they sulk if you dont let them light up in your car. As if the non smoking driver is mean or something, get the boat stinky

Smokers can be a pain in the ass if you are giving them a ride and they sulk if you dont let them light up in your car. As if the non smoking driver is mean or something, get the boat stinky

Someone was mad at you because you gave them a ride, but wouldn't allow them to smoke in your car? Were they sober at the time?

I can't even imagine someone complaining about not being allowed to smoke in someone else's car, when I was a smoker, I wouldn't smoke in my own cart if I had passengers.

You hangout with terrible people.

Because smokers were stupid enough to get addicted to begin with.

You need to eat to live, smoking is optional.

fat shaming is less acceptable than smoker shaming because people lay out the excuse that some people are fat because of genetics and have less control over their body weight than the average person. I agree that this is true, however, the large majority of obese people, in murca at least, are the way they are because they don't have self control and i hate most of these fat mother fuckers.

another reason why some might think it's unacceptable to discriminate against fatties is because of the income disparity argument and that a truly healthy meal costs more.

Because smokers were stupid enough to get addicted to begin with.

You need to eat to live, smoking is optional.

u dont need to eat 40 lbs of food a day.

u dont need to eat 40 lbs of food a day.

There's no biological compulsion to ever smoke that first cigarette.

If you had to smoke to live then maybe people would have more pity towards addicts.

smokers smell like shit and I don't want to inhale their toxic trash

Because if you want to get away from fatties you just need to walk up some stairs, smokers however are usually impervious to stairs.

Except for that fatties like smokers wreck health care. And unlike smokers wear out elevators and what not too

Further smokers pay tax on their ciggies to cover their extra health care cost, there are no different taxes on HFCS etc.

There's no biological compulsion to ever smoke that first cigarette.

If you had to smoke to live then maybe people would have more pity towards addicts.

[insert free will argument]

After I hang out with a fat person I don't come home smelling of crappy fat food. Smokers on the other hand send you home with their stink. It's like if anytime you hung out with someone drinking a beer they spilled it all over you. Wouldn't that be really annoying?

So whenever you hang out with a smoker you only do so in an enclosed space where they are so inconsiderate that they blow all of their cigarette smoke on your clothes and make you smell?

Gotta call bullshit on that one.

Most smokers on the whole are reasonably considerate to non smokers needs, at least in my experience.

When people smokes it affects other people. If someone's a fat mess, that's their problem. They're not filling the room with smoke.

them being obese Is just their problem? last I read 60% of raising cost of insurance premiums are due to problems caused from peoples obesity.

Back