Why is internet so expensive in Canada?

I pay 70$ for 100mbps in the US.

I remember when I got excited to have 5Mbps.
Then 15 wow. 30 then 100. What more could you need.

Then came streaming 2160p video.

There’s an Oligopoly amongst the government and Rogers, Bell and Telus.

They won’t let American companies come into Canada and compete for wireless customers and lower prices.

A few years ago Verizon tried to come to Canada and take over wireless cell phones and internet and the government told them to get fucked.

There’s an Oligopoly amongst the government and Rogers, Bell and Telus.

They won’t let American companies come into Canada and compete for wireless customers and lower prices.

A few years ago Verizon tried to come to Canada and take over wireless cell phones and internet and the government told them to get fucked.

You are right: https://this.org/2018/11/30/canada-has-an-oligopoly-problem-and-we-need-to-fix-it/

Also it seems Canada's government is to big with huge taxes. Which party can fix this, liberals, conservatives? Conservative want smaller government, no? Free market. Currently this system is crap for Canada from what I can see.

Mine is free.
We have a deal with the cable company so its free.
Its a good price.

We were on a group internet plan in our last place where internet was included in the rent. When I phoned my internet provider and told them we were moving to a new address, they moved our account over but forgot to put it back to $55/month. So now I get a bill every month that says $0.00.

<{ohyeah}>

People talk about monopolies or what not, here in california I can only get spectrum or use my cell as a hot spot. Spectrum is pretty fast (300) but I was getting 400 for 10.00 cheap at time warner before they merged. Now its 85.00 a month for like 100. No other options and this is a US state and a US company and fuck off if you say its the libs fault, this shit is not, this just straight up because they can and there is no other option and they will pay the fines. Fuck um.

Sorry just did a speed test and called in after i saw this thread and they are straight killing my bandwidth because of.....new contract I never signed. I already escalated it and It will be fixed eventually but it will never be as good as time warner was, and they dont have AT+Ts fiber lines here. Bah.

165 $ for cable and interent .

According to shaw cable I'm getting a good deal.

<DisgustingHHH>
My wife had an indigestion problem about a year ago, ended up in the ER. They gave some over the counter pepcid or something and sent her home with a $9,000 bill.

Maple Syrup Syndicate

Damn, I wish my internet was as cheap as any country on that list.

165 $ for cable and interent .

According to shaw cable I'm getting a good deal.

Shaw are crooks. That’s why I don’t mind them not getting their $55/month.

Just scrap the cable, keep the internet and get an android box or Roku tv and just pay for the streaming services you actually want to watch. My Roku tv has some good free streaming apps too, so I have plenty to watch.

That would be wayyyyyy cheaper than shitty Shaw cable. Cable tv sucks and you always pay for those 3 channel packages with only two good channels at best anyway.

The lines keep getting chewed up by moose and beavers so they have to charge more for the constant repairs.

It's part of how we launder money into the military attack beaver program.

Mine is free.
We have a deal with the cable company so its free.
Its a good price.

That's nice. My cable company wouldn't piss on me, if I were on fire. My only other option is AT&T, but they really screwed me in the past. Just thinking about them makes my ass bleed.

My monthly bill from CenturyLink is $337. That's for our satellite internet, DirectTV & a landline phone ( which we don't use but CenturyLink's billing is crazy so it's actually cheaper to have the landline than it is to not have it ).

Back