Why is Hector so far down the card?

Last edited:
im more surprised about his opponenent and the lack of countdown coverage than his position on the card

imo lombard should be set up for a #1 contender fight. if they do the lawler hendricks rematch then i think with a win lombard should fight again vs rory for #1 contender. if the ufc is banking on GSP coming back in 2015 then they dont need to build as many contenders and they should also be testing to see if rory really is championship material

im more surprised about his opponenent and the lack of countdown coverage than his position on the card

imo lombard should be set up for a #1 contender fight. if they do the lawler hendricks rematch then i think with a win lombard should fight again vs rory for #1 contender. if the ufc is banking on GSP coming back in 2015 then they dont need to build as many contenders and they should also be testing to see if rory really is championship material

I agree, they should have already made Rory vs Lombard when Lombard beat top 6 Shields. Instead they cut Shields and then had Rory fight 2 guys Shields had recently beaten and a third guy ranked below Lombard instead of fighting Lombard. That match making makes no damn sense unless they want to keep Rory away from Lombard.

They don't structure the cards like "small-bigger-bigger-biggest". This is why the last prelim is usually one of the most high profile fights of the night and the second main card fight is low profile.

They want people to watch the whole thing, not just the last hour.

Can't say I agree with that. The last prelim fight does get the bigger names, but that's a fairly recent, post-Fox development: Faber/McDonald was the first and Urijah was clearly not happy. (85% sure it was McDonald.) Fox didn't like getting stuck with all no-names.

Main fight-cards absolutely go small-to-big. It's like a law of entertainment physics. From movies, to sporting events, to concerts, billing cards have always been in order of size/popularity as determined by the promoter. It's a huge variable in talent pay and an age-old war fought by agents.

We could probably crash Sherdog debating the "size" of various five through three fights, but whatever we think, the UFC ranks them according to some worst-to-first measure. God knows what it's about, but Hector's spot is a statement to/about him.

being 3rd on the PPV is "better" than being 1st, TS? explain please.

Casual fans are never, ever going to watch start to finish. The vast majority of them won't watch much more than the headliner.

Keep an eye on the in-person viewers. Arenas are never packed at the beginning of the main card and you can see the seats fill in as the night progresses.

Outside the main and comain events, does it really matter when a fight appears on the main card? Really, I'm curious... does fighter pay depend on where the fight takes place?

Outside the main and comain events, does it really matter when a fight appears on the main card? Really, I'm curious... does fighter pay depend on where the fight takes place?

It's not a real-time measure. There's no hard pay-scale. But over time, card placement is a huge factor in career/$ trajectory. More viewers watch the show the closer it gets to the main. More viewers means you're a bigger draw in the eyes of the bean-counters.

Someone earlier mentioned being more confused by the minimal presence of Hector in the promotion of the overall card. That's actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The slotting of fights dictates marketing money--in the obvious order. The fourth fight down isn't going to get much. So the fighter won't get as much exposure. The fifth fight will get less, etc., etc.

By the way, I'm not some massive Hector fan. I like him fine, I'm just being insistent because the card order thing is a matter of fact.

I don't consider it a bad thing. Hector just might start the PPV card with a bang.

Opening the PPV card is a more prominent spot than #2, which the UFC routinely treats as filler space

They like to kick off PPV with an exciting fight just like they like prelim main event to be names to draw viewers to FS1.

There is no plus side to fighting Hector for a lot of guys.

With his patience and power unless you are a guy that can avoid him and gas him, he is the fighter nobody wants to fight. That is the weird thing, certain styles beat him easily. Yet he could KO the toughest strikers in the division. For many fighters, fighting Lombard is too high risk.

my guess is Hector has a shit personality that doesn't mesh well with the match makers\Dana so this is his punishment ...if he wasn't such a dangerous fighter they would've probably already kicked him off the top 15

his situation is fishy, something going on behind the scenes, in my opinion

They generally try to kick off the show with a big entertaing fight and Burkman even if out matched is fun to watch. Plus only the main and co-Main are getting promotion. So the order really doesn't matter.

Hector got an easy win fight .. not sure how that's hate. Hector gets to win again, and puts him in line for the TS after Rory.

There is no plus side to fighting Hector for a lot of guys.

With his patience and power unless you are a guy that can avoid him and gas him, he is the fighter nobody wants to fight. That is the weird thing, certain styles beat him easily. Yet he could KO the toughest strikers in the division. For many fighters, fighting Lombard is too high risk.

Certain styles beat him easy? How many people have beat him "easy"? The boetch match was a boring decision and Okami out-sized him to lay and pray a decision, both matchups came in MW where he was just not big enough.
At WW, I don't see anyone LnP this guy as his judo can hold up adequately against the wrestlers in the division. The one guy I can see beating him is Rory because Rory will dance and jab his way to a decision.
I think Hector can beat either of Hendricks or Lawler.

Back