Why is GSP willing to return against Woodley but not against Lawler?

Obviously GSP has been taking and considering a comeback for sometime. Robbie was the long time champ and was running low on people to fight. GSP never said anything about returning against Lawler. But not that Lawler got beat and Woodley is the champ all of a sudden GSP agrees to fight him.

I believe that Tyrone is more dangerous than Lawler, faster, more 1 punch power, and good wrestling.

GSP would have UD'd Lawler but could be at a risk of getting KO'd/TKO'd against Woodley.

So, why did GSP agree to the Tyrone fight so quickly but not the Lawler one?

Woodley is easier for him to beat. GSP is a grinder. Big strong fighters with no gas tank are much easier for him to stuff than a fellow grinder like Lawler.

This isn't surprising. GSP didn't like the grueling battle he had with Hendricks. He doesn't like tit for tat. Although a prime GSP would probably have not have had much issue in bringing the Lawler fight to the ground, he could have gotten roughed up more than he likes on the feet with Robbie's dangerous, force the pocket style. I'm really kinda bummed Robbie didn't smarten up for the Woodley fight, especially after nearly losing his title to Condit. He should have caged up on Woodley like MacDonald did so successfully. GSP is probably confidant he can impose a similar dynamic against Woodley, and I expect if his form is similar to what it once was, then that should be expected.
If this picking opponents trends continues "for the fans" we are eventually going to end up with champions authoring their own tailored narratives and not taking the most competitive fights. I'd rather see the Wonderboy fight. It doesn't need to be a tournament to make cause and effect #1 contender fights.
For GSP's return, if they really want to be smart, they should embrace the legacy Robbie carved out with substantially more highly competitive title defenses in a stacked division against top 3 contenders than any other present talent. Robbie deserves more respect and appreciation. A fight with GSP would be good for both of them. Then Lawler can go fight the rematch with Diaz. They can make big Diaz vs Cerrone on the in-between which would also be sick.

This isn't surprising. GSP didn't like the grueling battle he had with Hendricks. He doesn't like tit for tat. Although a prime GSP would probably have not have had much issue in bringing the Lawler fight to the ground, he could have gotten roughed up more than he likes on the feet with Robbie's dangerous, force the pocket style. I'm really kinda bummed Robbie didn't smarten up for the Woodley fight, especially after nearly losing his title to Condit. He should have caged up on Woodley like MacDonald did so successfully. GSP is probably confidant he can impose a similar dynamic against Woodley, and I expect if his form is similar to what it once was, then that should be expected.
If this picking opponents trends continues "for the fans" we are eventually going to end up with champions authoring their own tailored narratives and not taking the most competitive fights. I'd rather see the Wonderboy fight. It doesn't need to be a tournament to make cause and effect #1 contender fights.
For GSP's return, if they really want to be smart, they should embrace the legacy Robbie carved out with substantially more highly competitive title defenses in a stacked division against top 3 contenders than any other present talent. Robbie deserves more respect and appreciation. A fight with GSP would be good for both of them. Then Lawler can go fight the rematch with Diaz. They can make big Diaz vs Cerrone on the in-between which would also be sick.
and further in matchmaking theory: winner of Condit/Maia should fight winner or Woodley/Macdonald. That's my ballot.

Robbie is statistically 100% against Canadians.

GSP losing to Robbie would further add to that statistic.

After watching how Woodley destroyed Lawler, I'm pretty sure he'd take the fight as well, but Lawler is no more champion so what's the point?

Hardly anyone overrates Woodley. Have you seen this forum since he's won the title?
It's not that Woodley isn't a top WW. It's completely conceivable that he could given a stylistic advantage capture that title at any given time with how contentious the top of the division is. It's just widely understood that the sort of prolongedly dominant victory that MacDonald racked up on him is still a viable recipe to undo him. There's a bit of that going around at WW.

For example:
A superior/stronger stand-up game that Rory can't shut down ends Rory.

A strong wrestling game with the chin to persevere, and the smarts to shutdown the stand-up likely ends Lawler.

A more disciplined striking approach that allows one to out-score while racking up takedowns on Condit's often prone to getting just a bit wild and off-balance persistence, can topple Condit.

I really think what fighters should be looking to get super extraordinary with is again BJJ. Unfortunately the guys who go wizard with that end up so pedigree with it that they can't quite catch-up the tools to employ it. They tend to always end up with some glaring deficiency. But we see these dynamic athletic talents with unusual eye-hand skills plus toughness constantly treat it as defensive note and never really commit to being great BJJ practitioners. I truly believe that's the next thing to exploit an advantage in this sport over its contemporary talent pool.

After watching how Woodley destroyed Lawler, I'm pretty sure he'd take the fight as well, but Lawler is no more champion so what's the point?
You think GSP thinks he's gonna haymaker smash Lawler out in one round with a fastball casting punch? I've never once seen GSP throw a fastball.

Hardly anyone overrates Woodley. Have you seen this forum since he's won the title?

You're right, There's been a small wave of exaggeration regarding his skills though. Not a knock against Lawler, because this is mma.. anything can happen. Gotta be honest though, Woodley is the Bisping equivalent right now imo.

When has GSP shown he can land punches like that?

Possibly because the deal was for a title fight. So they were dealing with Lawler. Then he lost so then they started dealing with Woodley. I don't think gsp was ducking anyone. It's just the way the dice rolled come signing time.

GSP wins 5-round fights. Lawler goes insane in the 5th round of 5-round fights. To beat Lawler, GSP would have had to deal with 5th-round Lawler–something he probably wasn't keen on.

Woodley is easier for him to beat. GSP is a grinder. Big strong fighters with no gas tank are much easier for him to stuff than a fellow grinder like Lawler.

I think GSP would get Lawler to the ground pretty easily though and just get the UD.

GSP stated before the Woodley Lawler fight he was
Ready to return

he's being smart. doesn't want another facial overhaul such as what he got from fat johnny.

GSP doesn't want to look like Rory. Besides, in a 5 round fight, Lawler will catch GSP. And GSP likes to tap to strikes. Ask Matt Sera.

I will say it now.

If this fight is made.

Woodley will win.

Back