Why is GSP the "money fight?"

1e6a617df9fcb2e879301c92f9713b0d_crop_north.jpg

He's mostly known as a guy who knows GSP

Shitty white belt thread.

Why is the GOAT a money fight ???

tumblr_m5t7b6J2lB1rvjt2vo1_500.gif

Since we are in the Money Fight era, which I am starting to seriously despise, I am curious as to why GSP is such a draw. I get that he won his last 12, which is extremely impressive, but look a little deeper and it's clear that people were catching up to GSP. In his last 13 wins, 10 were decisions(1 split vs Johny), 1 TKO against BJ Penn(who threw in the towel), 1 TKO against Matt Serra(knees to body), and 1 submission of A faded Matt Hughes. When added to the fact that he tapped to strikes and has been submitted, I'm kind of confused at the blind worship he is getting.

White belt threads for the lulz...

Because he's GSP and people love him

Next to maybe Randy, he's the nicest most humble dominant champ the UFC has ever seen.

I'm sure he is still the biggest, cumulative PPV draw the company has seen

1. He is easily one of the biggest draws in the sport, ever.
2. He is the GOAT ww and never lost his title before stepping away
Doesn't take rocket appliances to realize this

Because there ain't shit to do in Canada, so they have a high PPV buyrate if you get a Canuck on the card and GSP is the king of Canucking

Beats me. Woodley seems to think it though.

shhh we're talking about GSP... not Conor McGregor.

population of Canada : 35.16 million # of fighters anyone ever cared about: 1
population of Ireland: 4.595 million # of fighters anyone ever cared about: 1

population of Canada : 35.16 million # of fighters anyone ever cared about: 1
population of Ireland: 4.595 million # of fighters anyone ever cared about: 1

Your MMA knowledge: 0

Carlos Newton was a UFC champion. Rory MacDonald, David Loiseau, Mark Hominick and Patrick Cote all fought for UFC titles. T.J. Grant was granted a title shot before his injury that ended his career.

Stout, Goodridge, Horodecki, Kang, Doerksen, Misha Cirkunov, Jimmo, Makdessi, Mein, Alexis Davis, Sarah Kauffman, Letourneau, etc

More stupid threads i never paid that much attention to this before i decided to register on this site, I think we need better mods so people who ask stupid question get banned

Your MMA knowledge: 0

Carlos Newton was a UFC champion. Rory MacDonald, David Loiseau, Mark Hominick and Patrick Cote all fought for UFC titles. T.J. Grant was granted a title shot before his injury that ended his career.

Stout, Goodridge, Horodecki, Kang, Doerksen, Misha Cirkunov, Jimmo, Makdessi, Mein, Alexis Davis, Sarah Kauffman, Letourneau, etc

I guess you forgot that I said fighters who mattered.

I really never got why GSP was such a draw. I like watching him fight because I'm an mma fan but he brings in fans that really never watch it. He's not that exciting at anything in the cage.

Since we are in the Money Fight era, which I am starting to seriously despise, I am curious as to why GSP is such a draw. I get that he won his last 12, which is extremely impressive, but look a little deeper and it's clear that people were catching up to GSP. In his last 13 wins, 10 were decisions(1 split vs Johny), 1 TKO against BJ Penn(who threw in the towel), 1 TKO against Matt Serra(knees to body), and 1 submission of A faded Matt Hughes. When added to the fact that he tapped to strikes and has been submitted, I'm kind of confused at the blind worship he is getting.
How can you despise the fact that these men and women that give their blood, sweat, and tears to this sport are now FINALLY in the position where they can demand the amount of money that they deserve to step in the cage.

I understand your frustration with missing out on certain fights because of it, but at least lay the blame where it belongs. If the UFC paid each fighter a more appropriate amount for every fight, the fighters wouldn't be demanding the "money" fights like this once they build a name for themselves. This is the price the UFC (and fans) pays since they want to operate with an independent contractor model and low ball the shit out of their fighters. Once the fighters have clout, they play hardball and demand a payday.

And the GSP fight is a money fight because of the name and legacy that GSP built before suddenly retiring his belt for unknown reasons. If he were to come back, there would obviously be a huge draw from fans to see that fight, regardless of who it was against. Therefore it is a money fight. Because it generates money.

youre arguing two different things. He's the money fight because a GSP come back fight will make a lot of .... Wait for it ... Money! You really have to read between the lines, so I can see why you might have missed it. It's pretty subtle.

Back