Why is Dana protecting Ronda Rousey?

A while back Vince McMahon told Dana that you need dominant champions to make the most money, Dana took that lesson to heart, he will not let his money machines get beat if he can help it.

UFC has been talking about a catch weight fight t 140. Am questioning DANA and i do believe he is in the ufc. lol

Read thread title again...thank u have a nice day.

The UFC's talk about a catchweight fight has essentially been: there's no chance in hell the fight will be at 140.

Cyborg has continually pushed for 140 and the UFC has said NO repeatedly.

I'd be willing to bet Cyborg gets the fight as soon as she shows she can make 135. No protection there, the ball is in Cyborg's court.

If you're asking why neither Cyborg or Rousey want to change weight (ie to make it fair either Cyborg loses 10 pounds of muscle or Rousey gains 10 pounds of muscle), its because they're not sisters and neither owes the other squat. Why change your weight for someone you don't even particularly like (and that's true for both of them).

They're not the same size (if they were Cyborg would make 135 as easily as Rousey). They're naturally one weight division apart (again, if they weren't Cyborg could make 135 as easily as Cyborg). So why should either change their body (either gain or lose 10 pounds of lean mass) to help the other?

I'd say they are at least 20, if not 30, pounds apart. Cyborg cuts significantly more weight because of her extra muscle mass.

Cyborg not owing Ronda anything isn't a good reason for her not to drop. She's the one who has the most benefit, next to no leverage, isn't enticing to most fans except in relation to Ronda. It makes sense for Ronda to not go up: she's the draw and the one that matters.

Not to mention the fight would be in the UFC and they wouldn't allow it.

Ronda would get better PPV buys defending her belt than by having a catchweight fight with nothing on the line.

Only hardcore fans even know who Cyborg is.

Clayj, you're right but I disagree. There may not be much going at 145 in mma, but there are lots of female athletes who could in theory fight at that weight - they're just not currently in mma. Some are in other fighting sports, judo for example, and could cross over. Others are making money in unrelated sports because there's no money for it in mma at their weight - as yet.

If women's mma is viable long-term, a 145-lb weight class is inevitable. Other companies have done it. It's more a question of when the UFC decides to invest in the division then if they do. How long will it take to deepen the talent pool enough for good competition? Obviously years; to compare, bantamweight is still a work in progress. I'm hoping the horizon at featherweight is less than a decade, as opined by someone else. But it will very likely be too late for a Rousey-Cyborg match.

UFC has put a lot of money in rr and she gets press. they will milk it for as long as they can.

Back