Why is Crossfit so strongly disliked?

I wanted to like the video but ...didn't! It was just stupid but get the message. Broscience did it way better.

Broscience is pretty hard to beat. I liked this one a bit better than that Army tshirt guy's one though.

There are crossfit gyms popping up in my city and it's starting to get a little annoying. There's one pretty close to where I live and whenever I go out, I see groups of people in their crossfit shirts running together. That in itself isn't a problem but I find it annoying in the way they have to take up so much space when they do and have to advertise to the world the fact they do crossfit. Every time I see them I get a sense they want to scream, "Look at us everybody! We do crossfit!" There are much better places to run than the crowded streets of a city.

If I got guys from my boxing gym and we all ran together with boxing t-shirts while taking up as much as space as possible, I would feel like a tool.

There are crossfit gyms popping up in my city and it's starting to get a little annoying. There's one pretty close to where I live and whenever I go out, I see groups of people in their crossfit shirts running together. That in itself isn't a problem but I find it annoying in the way they have to take up so much space when they do and have to advertise to the world the fact they do crossfit. Every time I see them I get a sense they want to scream, "Look at us everybody! We do crossfit!" There are much better places to run than the crowded streets of a city.

If I got guys from my boxing gym and we all ran together with boxing t-shirts while taking up as much as space as possible, I would feel like a tool.

Fucking space takers. Hey, you guys ain't buzz aldrain (sp?)

CrossFit as a training method is otherwise amazing, but their focus on quantity over quality which is the problem here.

Kipping pull ups :icon_evil

Speaking of running did any of you ever see this video?

[YT]ME7Pswhet00[/YT]

As with everything in life, there is going to be the good and the bad.
As with everything in it's infancy, it's going to have to go through trial and error, make f**k ups and (hopefully) learn from them. As Paul Carter said when he was talking about Crossfit, he referred to the UFC and how it was in it's early days. I'd be amazed to find a business that started out at it's absolute pinnacle.

I'm a 'crossfit level 1 trainer' and I too hate the crossfit groupie douche. I am aware, however, that there will be groupie douches in every niche of life.
I agree that random programming will lead you no where. Following a progressive and periodized program is what will improve your performance (hmm, will I get in trouble for saying this? haha).
I think the fact people are getting off the couch and are running, rowing, lifting weights safely (I can only speak for myself here but i'll stop someone if I think form is deteriorating) and engaging in social behaviour are all good things.

As others have said, every 'box' is individual to itself. Go in and speak to the trainers, ask them what their educational background and training history is outside of Crossfit, check out their programming and then make an informed decision about whether that specific Crossfit gym is for you.

Unfortunately crossfit could learn from the mistakes of others. But instead, like everybody else who ignores history, they repeat the mistakes of the past. And some of them are so bad it is not only like reinventing the wheel, but creating a square wheel and calling it "elite."

It is not just growing pains, it is a lake of maturity and integrity from crossfit HQ that trumps any other program. The only boxes that do well do their own programming which often has little to do with "crossfit" and more in common with traditional S&C programming (see, Outlaw, for example).

Then, of course, there is the attitude towards injury. That is not a growing pain, that is criminal negligence.

It is not just growing pains, it is a lake of maturity and integrity from crossfit HQ that trumps any other program.

I assume you meant lack. When it comes to maturity and integrity, crossfit HQ would be a dried up lake bed.

(mentioned just in case someone new reads it and thinks you are actually endorsing them in some way)

I assume you meant lack. When it comes to maturity and integrity, crossfit HQ would be a dried up lake bed.

(mentioned just in case someone new reads it and thinks you are actually endorsing them in some way)

Yeah, I did. I cannot even blame it on auto-correct, as I do not have a smart phone. All fuck-ups are entirely my own.

What constitutes a crossfit box?

How can you be a crossfit box but yet do your own programming? I thought you had to basically do what head orifice says? Or are gyms just buying the ability to put Crossfit on their building to attract the clients?

How can you be a crossfit box but yet do your own programming? I thought you had to basically do what head orifice says? Or are gyms just buying the ability to put Crossfit on their building to attract the clients?

Each gym is free to do anything they want, in any way that they want.

You're given basic programming direction at the L1 but after that, it's on you.

Each gym is in no way, shape, or form obligated to even be aware of HQ's existence. The only thing they impact is programming in the Open, Regionals, and the Games.

I don't know of a single person within our community that listens to HQ, let alone takes anything they say seriously.

The only time HQ will get involved with an affiliate is if they violate the legal terms of use agreement as it relates to the "Crossfit" brand and how you use the term to market yourself.

I've often thought about making my gym a CF affiliate just to get more clients in the door, but not sure I could live with myself giving them money.

As with everything in life, there is going to be the good and the bad.
As with everything in it's infancy, it's going to have to go through trial and error, make f**k ups and (hopefully) learn from them. As Paul Carter said when he was talking about Crossfit, he referred to the UFC and how it was in it's early days. I'd be amazed to find a business that started out at it's absolute pinnacle.

I'm a 'crossfit level 1 trainer' and I too hate the crossfit groupie douche. I am aware, however, that there will be groupie douches in every niche of life.
I agree that random programming will lead you no where. Following a progressive and periodized program is what will improve your performance (hmm, will I get in trouble for saying this? haha).
I think the fact people are getting off the couch and are running, rowing, lifting weights safely (I can only speak for myself here but i'll stop someone if I think form is deteriorating) and engaging in social behaviour are all good things.

As others have said, every 'box' is individual to itself. Go in and speak to the trainers, ask them what their educational background and training history is outside of Crossfit, check out their programming and then make an informed decision about whether that specific Crossfit gym is for you.

I love the pro-Crossfit argument where if you find a good Crossfit gym that doesn't do Crossfit, then it's not bad. It makes no sense at all. If the WOD off Crossfit's main website sucks, then Crossfit sucks. You can't not ascribe to their philosophy, then say Crossfit isn't bad, because you're not doing Crossfit!

have a level 1 certified trainer and pay the franchise fee.

You have to pay over $3,000 a year for the franchise fee, Hence the reason you have copycats with names like Crosslift, Liftfit, Boxfit and so on. The most active part of the Crossfit HQ is their legal department. I believe Glassman in the recent 60 minutes interview said he had over 90 attorneys working for him and has had over 50 lawsuits against people he thought infringed on his copywrite. According to him he's won all the lawsuits.

Mostly the culture around it I imagine. Bright outfits, knee high socks, the dumb motivational social media posts. Not to mention everyone I know that does it feels the need to let everyone else know that they are a crossfitter.

Back