Why is Crossfit so strongly disliked?

CrossFit is maligned and generally misunderstood by most recreational lifters and "bodybuilders", though its core concept is great for the typical person looking for general fitness, especially in a supportive group environment.

"you just don't get it, man"
no, i get it. it's stupid. The only thing it offers that is good is a supportive group enironment, and that has become a cult...so even that is bad.

It makes zero sense for athletes with specific training requirements, who would benefit from specific workouts with progression and programming.

And yet, crossfit hq pimps it as a solution for athletes, has specific programming for football players, and pays athletes from actual sports to do stuff with crossfit.

Also, everyone benefits from specific workouts with progression and programming.

General complaints about CF stem from the fact that many CF gyms are run by morons and provide crap coaching.

Morons with Lvl 1 certification as trainers from crossfit hq. Morons who got there cert by attending a 1 weekend course. Crossfit breeds bad trainers who provide crap coaching.

Not all CF "boxes" encourage high reps of heavy, technical lifts; not all of them perform stupid exercises or push members to injury; not all of them have terrible coaches. But a decent chunk of them do, and they are highly visible. Do your research on a box before joining and paying them.

Yes, some crossfit boxes don't do crossfit. They do traditional strength and conditioning programming and use the crossfit label to charge you 3x the price.
The whole point of having a branded system is you are supposed to have a reasonable expectation of what you are going to get when you go there.

Do your research, and then go to a good gym without the crossfit label and spend the money you save on a trainer if you need one.

If you're an athlete, put a bit more thought into things rather than letting a random "WOD" dictate your training sessions. Even better, find a legit coach if you have the cash! (I don't...)
Random is not good for an athlete - and I don't mean a CrossFit "athlete".

Who is random good for?

Also, this is like... the twelfth "what's wrong with CF" thread I've seen on Sherdog, and I'm just a quiet lurker here.

that's the problem with cancer. it's hard to kill and it spreads rapidly.

Haha, this thread always brings me back to both BroScience's CF video, and the video made by two beareded guys with one of them having one leg. Both hilarious.

Also, this is like... the twelfth "what's wrong with CF" thread I've seen on Sherdog, and I'm just a quiet lurker here.

Yes, they used to be against the rules, for the obvious reason. Then one person cried about it, and a mod ignored everyone else and removed it as a banned topic. So now we go through the same endless shit threads until we can get it added back to the banned topic list.

It is not as if anything good ever comes of a crossfit thread.

Interesting parallel there, btw.

Some of their WOD's are a recipe for disaster.

Doing movements like snatches, squats, deadlifts, overhead squats for reps combine with endurance activity taken to failure is asking for an injury

Some of their WOD's are a recipe for disaster.

Doing movements like snatches, squats, deadlifts, overhead squats for reps combine with endurance activity taken to failure is asking for an injury

More than asking. Go read their injury forum.

But I suppose fucking yourself up exercising badly makes you "elite."

More than asking. Go read their injury forum.

But I suppose fucking yourself up exercising badly makes you "elite."

Someone here posted the injuries during the crossfit games and how alot didnt make it past the first round.

no, i get it. it's stupid. The only thing it offers that is good is a supportive group enironment, and that has become a cult...so even that is bad.

And yet, crossfit hq pimps it as a solution for athletes, has specific programming for football players, and pays athletes from actual sports to do stuff with crossfit.

Also, everyone benefits from specific workouts with progression and programming.

Morons with Lvl 1 certification as trainers from crossfit hq. Morons who got there cert by attending a 1 weekend course. Crossfit breeds bad trainers who provide crap coaching.

Yes, some crossfit boxes don't do crossfit. They do traditional strength and conditioning programming and use the crossfit label to charge you 3x the price.
The whole point of having a branded system is you are supposed to have a reasonable expectation of what you are going to get when you go there.

Do your research, and then go to a good gym without the crossfit label and spend the money you save on a trainer if you need one.

Who is random good for?

Dude you are wasting your time. He is probably part of the group that believes "functional training" is actually a method past what it's supposed to mean: training to a specific thing. For instance soccer players train a certain way for it carries over to soccer (hence functional); MMA fighters train a certain way for it carries over to their fights (hence functional).

That guy you are arguing to is probably convinced that something like box jumps are just functional. :rolleyes:

Be prepared for a back injury is all I can think when I see most people do Crossfit

Jesus, I give CrossFit one shitty backhanded "compliment" and some of you tear me a new one. Let me explain. My first comment there was worded crappily, I admit it.

I'm not promoting Crossfit, I just try to have an informed opinion of it when most bro-dybuilders and strength athletes I know make (weirdly passionate and angry) claims about this latest dumb fitness trend that don't match what I've seen in person. I don't do CF. I have observed several sessions though, and that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

I said CrossFit's core concept is good for the typical gym-goer is because most of those people have no idea what they're doing, no coaching, and will piss away their time and effort doing useless routines from magazines, switching every few weeks - because they're bored or because some "functional training" article tells them they need to "confuse" their body. And that's the extent of their research, because the Starting Strength book has too many big words and diagrams. And that doesn't matter to them, because they have no real performance goals outside of the gym.

As a movement and organization, CrossFit is flawed. I was talking about the core idea of performing semi-random circuits (they're meant to be semi-intelligently programmed) that encompass the traditional facets of fitness training (mobility, endurance, strength/power, speed) for people with no specific performance goals. That's not necessarily dangerous, neither is it ideal. There's nothing in that definition that says it has to involve high-reps of dangerous or complex movements. In fact the practitioner is supposed to only attempt what's within their capabilities at the time. Anything beyond that, such as being pushed into trying to do 15 reps of 215lb snatch after running half a mile, three times, is not strictly part of the definition.
In any CF class I've observed, it's never looked like that. The "Death before DNF" mindset is dying out.

CrossFit brought back into public view the concepts of training for strength and performance, and useful barbell movements that the average recreational lifter would never do otherwise. Remember that even Rippetoe has complimented CF for this. Running SS or something similar (Blaha's novice program, Greyskull, whatever) is a better idea for almost everyone hitting the gym, but they're not going to freaking run those because they're HARD, and CF is drawing people in who would otherwise never train at all. Why do WE care what lonely housewives do to keep moving and make friends?

No seriously, why the hell do you care?

And I've not personally seen any of the problems everyone insists is rampant (injuries, retardedly dangerous circuits, terrible coaching) to any real extent, so it's not inherent in CF. It's part of the culture. In fact, the coaches/practitioners are supposed to scale workouts to their abilities and a full half of all CF sessions I've seen were dedicated to thorough explanations of movements and lifts, coaching and mobility work. So these housewives/douchebag bros aren't all getting crippled out there.

Injuries and injurious programming comes down to individual Crossfit boxes/instructors, and from the CF guys and gals I know personally, I haven't heard of a single injury.
"Coaches" with 1 week certs and nothing else? None of them run any "box" I know of. Every coach at the CF box near me has multiple qualifications, including government certified ones. Rampant cases of rhabdo? Not seen that anywhere. WODs centering around endless heavy reps of C&Js? Not seen it at all. I believe they exist, sure, but I'm right near the premier box in my region and I've not seen any of this.

"And yet, crossfit hq pimps it as a solution for athletes, has specific programming for football players, and pays athletes from actual sports to do stuff with crossfit."

CFHQ is full of crap. The athletes in the CF Games don't do crossfit WoDs. Most crossfitters that I've spoken to know that. And that they're almost all on PEDs.

CF as a movement and an organization is dangerous and reckless. There's no disagreement there from me. CFHQ itself came up with some of the more idiotic WoDs.

"Yes, some crossfit boxes don't do crossfit. They do traditional strength and conditioning programming and use the crossfit label to charge you 3x the price."

If you think I don't know the difference between CF and traditional S/C programs, you're wrong. They're doing CrossFit. They're just not being utterly retarded about it. There are degrees.

Dude you are wasting your time.
(snip)
That guy you are arguing to is probably convinced that something like box jumps are just functional. :rolleyes:

Eh?
What I would tell a novice lifter/athlete to do is probably exactly what anyone else here would tell them. In fact, it was this forum and 7chan that got me away from bodybuilding style routines to doing shit that actually works. (Btw you're refering to specificity of training there, not "functional training." As a term, it originated in physiotherapy and has a specific meaning.)

I already said I wouldn't recommend CF for anyone who actually cares about their performance or metrics as an athlete. So you can disagree with what I said about Crossfit here if you want, maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't care. It's not like I'm going to do it or promote it to anyone. Fuck it.

...Eh?
What I would tell a novice lifter/athlete to do is probably exactly what anyone else here would tell them. In fact, it was this forum and 7chan that got me away from bodybuilding style routines to doing shit that actually works. (Btw you're refering to specificity of training there, not "functional training." As a term, it originated in physiotherapy and has a specific meaning.)

I already said I wouldn't recommend CF for anyone who actually cares about their performance or metrics as an athlete. So you can disagree with what I said about Crossfit here if you want, maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't care. It's not like I'm going to do it or promote it to anyone. Fuck it.

Then FUCK IT! Lighten-up. I was having fun. You should do the same and not take these posts so fucking serious! Even posts with actual helpful content should be taken with a grain of salt especially if the person is asking for advice for that person is asking advice on a free forum from a bunch strangers. Advice is not always the best given, and much like the JOKING it should be taken lightly, and then use their best judgement. If a person is serious about anything they should truly investigate it instead of asking on a forum much like a person blindly doing whatever they are told in a CF class. In short, lighten up I was jumping on the bashing band-wagon for I was bored.

Jesus, I give CrossFit one shitty backhanded "compliment" and some of you tear me a new one. Let me explain. My first comment there was worded crappily, I admit it.

i apologise if you felt personally attacked by my comments. That was not my intention.

As a movement and organization, CrossFit is flawed.

The organization is all that crossfit is. None of the exercises used, nor the idea of super setting exercises, is original to crossfit. The specific wods, the brand, the training certification, and the crossfit games are what is original to crossfit.

If you agree that the training cert is a bad cert and the wods cfhq produces are stupid, then you are effectively saying crossfit is bad. If you know trainers who program intelligently, they are doing so by going against the direction they get from cfhq.

Why do WE care what lonely housewives do to keep moving and make friends?

No seriously, why the hell do you care?

If uninformed people are put at risk of harm, some people care merely because they care about he well being of their fellow humans. (i am not one of these people)

Many people care because the bad training reflects negatively on trainers and on the industry of exercise as a whole. People who get injured doing barbell work in crossfit are going to walk away from it blaming barbell work. There is already enough of that with "squats are bad for your knees" and "deadlifts will ruin your back" without crossfit piling on.

Some people care about truth in advertising and just generally object to snake oil and cults.

Additionally, crossfit promotes itself and attempts to minimize churn by fostering an elitist, semi-religious adherence in members. those people can be really obnoxious and tend to denigrate non-crossfit forms of exercise. That annoys people and creates a negative emotional response.

And I've not personally seen any of the problems everyone insists is rampant (injuries, retardedly dangerous circuits, terrible coaching) to any real extent, so it's not inherent in CF. It's part of the culture. In fact, the coaches/practitioners are supposed to scale workouts to their abilities <trimmed to just be the part i'm responding to>

check out the official crossfit youtube channel. You'll find plenty of official videos of terrible programming, terrible coaching, promotion of terrible form, and encouraging people to overdo it. Hell, they have a mascot based off of a condition that specifically only occurs if you overdo it to the point of hospitalization.
There's a video of the head of crossfit programming (the guy who designs the crossfit games events, designs the official wods, and runs the trainer cert program) demonstrating the worlds worst form on a max deadlift attempt while be cheered on by two of crossfit's "stars".

"Coaches" with 1 week certs and nothing else? None of them run any "box" I know of. Every coach at the CF box near me has multiple qualifications, including government certified ones.

Was that gym started as a crossfit box, or did it already exist and it became a crossfit box?

My point was that crossfit produces certified trainers (using their crossfit cert) who are terrible.
Also, there are plenty of interview videos on the crossfit youtube channel with crossfit certified trainers who opened boxes.
(at least, there used to be. i haven't looked at their channel in a long time)

Rampant cases of rhabdo? Not seen that anywhere.

well, to be fair to crossfit, the rhabdo thing is a little overblown. They aren't helping themselves though when they make a mascot based on it.

CF as a movement and an organization is dangerous and reckless. There's no disagreement there from me. CFHQ itself came up with some of the more idiotic WoDs.

great. see, we agree a lot more than we might have initially expected.

If you think I don't know the difference between CF and traditional S/C programs, you're wrong. They're doing CrossFit. They're just not being utterly retarded about it. There are degrees.

that's largely a semantic disagreement. I wouldn't call what they are doing crossfit. I would say they are doing some cross training and some traditional strength and conditioning exercises. That existed before crossfit. IF they aren't doing the wods from cfhq and aren't following the company's guidelines, i would say they aren't doing crossfit.

(Btw you're refering to specificity of training there, not "functional training." As a term, it originated in physiotherapy and has a specific meaning.)

OriginalSpeedy was using functional in reference to how the term was co-opted by guys like Naudi Aguillar, rather than its actual legitimate use. He was taking a shot at another "fitness movement" that has some similarities with crossfit (but none of the financial success).

again, none of this is intended as an attack on you. our fundamental disagreement seems to be that you view crossfit and crossfit hq as separable things where i view them as being inextricably linked.

Then FUCK IT! Lighten-up. I was having fun. You should do the same and not take these posts so fucking serious! Even posts with actual helpful content should be taken with a grain of salt especially if the person is asking for advice for that person is asking advice on a free forum from a bunch strangers. Advice is not always the best given, and much like the JOKING it should be taken lightly, and then use their best judgement. If a person is serious about anything they should truly investigate it instead of asking on a forum much like a person blindly doing whatever they are told in a CF class. In short, lighten up I was jumping on the bashing band-wagon for I was bored.

Hrmmrm... fair enough. I'll call a waahmbulance for my bruised feelings then. ;)

I have no idea why I got so defensive there. I'm aware CrossFit is hated with a passion here, so maybe I expected that to be reflected onto me for what I said.

CrossFit is maligned and generally misunderstood by most recreational lifters and "bodybuilders", though its core concept is great for the typical person looking for general fitness, especially in a supportive group environment.

It makes zero sense for athletes with specific training requirements, who would benefit from specific workouts with progression and programming.

General complaints about CF stem from the fact that many CF gyms are run by morons and provide crap coaching.
Not all CF "boxes" encourage high reps of heavy, technical lifts; not all of them perform stupid exercises or push members to injury; not all of them have terrible coaches. But a decent chunk of them do, and they are highly visible. Do your research on a box before joining and paying them.

If you're an athlete, put a bit more thought into things rather than letting a random "WOD" dictate your training sessions. Even better, find a legit coach if you have the cash! (I don't...)
Random is not good for an athlete - and I don't mean a CrossFit "athlete".

8ea.jpg

Who is random good for?

giphy.gif

True, but that's kinda like saying rape is better than murder because at least you leave them alive after. They're both heinous.

Dont buy into the feminist hysteria. Rape is bad, but you can't compare the two for gods sake

Back