Why is Crossfit so strongly disliked?

Here's the gif's this thread is lacking.

9K8ausw.gif

bQ5w1.gif

crossfit.gif

ayPOf87.jpg

4mJOlFn.gif

0aj0Ddi.gif

Obnoxious women dressed like fucking power rangers that think they're superhuman because they can do kipping pullups.

Holy shit someone is not wearing an outfit you like. What is this world coming to? FFS can we can a strength routine that will abide by this dude's dress code? This is american right? I thought this was america.

^should have been the first reply.

Honest question

If you found out your Doctor was an avid Crossfit Practitioner, would you switch Doctors?

An anecdotal crossfit story I heard recently;

A chick I know wanted to get in shape after having a kid. She's not overweight, but she's never been physically active. She never played a sport and spent most of her teen years and early 20's all angsty, listening to music and chain smoking cheap cigarettes.

Anyway, a coworker took her to an intro class at a local cross fit gym. They fucked her up SO bad, that after only ONE training session, she spent three days in the hospital recovering from rhabdo.

Crossfit is most often a one sized fits all mish mash of exercises that completely neglects individual needs. For instance, the need for this girl to not get thrashed half to death.

Whoa. That's messed. Even in combat sports, there's none of that in a free trial (unless they have some condition and fail to disclose it).

I'm guessing they make everyone sign a waiver to prevent all the lawshuits?

Holy shit someone is not wearing an outfit you like. What is this world coming to? FFS can we can a strength routine that will abide by this dude's dress code? This is american right? I thought this was america.

The internet is America?

An anecdotal crossfit story I heard recently;

A chick I know wanted to get in shape after having a kid. She's not overweight, but she's never been physically active. She never played a sport and spent most of her teen years and early 20's all angsty, listening to music and chain smoking cheap cigarettes.

Anyway, a coworker took her to an intro class at a local cross fit gym. They fucked her up SO bad, that after only ONE training session, she spent three days in the hospital recovering from rhabdo.

Crossfit is most often a one sized fits all mish mash of exercises that completely neglects individual needs. For instance, the need for this girl to not get thrashed half to death.

Haha. My gf tried one cf class n came back with swollen arms. It was her 1st class n they made her do 100 pull ups.

The problem is the fashion posers , not the system itself while it personally bothers me new crossfiters really think that guy invented all the excercises ...just like "functional" systems

Honest question

If you found out your Doctor was an avid Crossfit Practitioner, would you switch Doctors?

if he's a good doctor, no.
he can do whatever he wants on his own time.

Because it's like atheism in where 90% of its followers feel the need to let everyone plant, bird and animal that they come into contact with that they are a part of it.

Even murder and eat people?

generally, when someone says "you can do whatever you want" they expect "within the bounds of the law in your jurisdiction" is implied.
However, i wouldn't know he was killing and eating people until he got caught, so it wouldn't have any effect on my continuing to patronize his office. Once he is caught, the decision is effectively made for me.

What are you talking about? I LOVE CrossFit, aka life!

giphy.gif

I'm glad you have a sense of humor about yourself lol, will come in handy on the dog.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor about yourself lol, will come in handy on the dog.

Self-deprecation is the second-best form of humor behind observational, in my opinion.

Thrusters are a great exercise for gpp. This guy is a palsy :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

I know. He's such a try-hard!

Why not just do regular push presses, be able to use much more weight, and have much more power output?

Sure, thrusters might make you break a sweat, but if you're lifting for cardio, you're doing it wrong, especially when there are much safer alternatives, such as sprinting or jump roping. That's how form deteriorates, and people are hurt, which is one of my main contentions against CF (along with there being no form of programming).

I could easily see someone catching a thruster wrong, sacrificing their thoracic integrity, and pulling a muscle in the upper back. Just not worth it, especially since the exercise is not optimal for really anything. It's not heavy enough for the front squat portion, but also not heavy enough for the push press portion. Additionally, the grips used on front squats and push presses aren't exactly the same. You will simply ingrain poor motor patterns into yourself, by either having your elbows too far in front for push presses, or too far back for front squats.

CrossFit is maligned and generally misunderstood by most recreational lifters and "bodybuilders", though its core concept is great for the typical person looking for general fitness, especially in a supportive group environment.

It makes zero sense for athletes with specific training requirements, who would benefit from specific workouts with progression and programming.

General complaints about CF stem from the fact that many CF gyms are run by morons and provide crap coaching.
Not all CF "boxes" encourage high reps of heavy, technical lifts; not all of them perform stupid exercises or push members to injury; not all of them have terrible coaches. But a decent chunk of them do, and they are highly visible. Do your research on a box before joining and paying them.

If you're an athlete, put a bit more thought into things rather than letting a random "WOD" dictate your training sessions. Even better, find a legit coach if you have the cash! (I don't...)
Random is not good for an athlete - and I don't mean a CrossFit "athlete".

Also, this is like... the twelfth "what's wrong with CF" thread I've seen on Sherdog, and I'm just a quiet lurker here.

CrossFit is maligned and generally misunderstood by most recreational lifters and "bodybuilders", though its core concept is great for the typical person looking for general fitness, especially in a supportive group environment.
What makes its "core concept" great for general fitness?

It makes zero sense for athletes with specific training requirements, who would benefit from specific workouts with progression and programming.
The fact that you believe ANYONE should train without proper progression and programming baffles me greatly.

Not all CF "boxes" encourage high reps of heavy, technical lifts; not all of them perform stupid exercises or push members to injury; not all of them have terrible coaches. But a decent chunk of them do, and they are highly visible. Do your research on a box before joining and paying them.
Well, there's where the disagreement stems from. I do not believe that being a CrossFit "box" means you are practicing CrossFit. Since CrossFit has such a vague, ambiguous definition, the only true CrossFit "workouts" are the daily WODs posted on their site, and the CrossFit Games.

If you're an athlete, put a bit more thought into things rather than letting a random "WOD" dictate your training sessions. Even better, find a legit coach if you have the cash! (I don't...)
Random is not good for an athlete - and I don't mean a CrossFit "athlete".

Also, this is like... the twelfth "what's wrong with CF" thread I've seen on Sherdog, and I'm just a quiet lurker here.
I don't think random can be good for anybody. It is a severely flawed way of working out that will surely lead to severe injury in the long-run.

This is literally a surprisingly good chunk of my clientele when i do rehab. Idiots from crossfit who don't properly program. I love seeing SLAP tears, achilles tears, torn cuffs, disc herniations etc. They often come back even after discharge for similar issues because they go back to Xfitting.

It makes 100% sense to have proper progression etc. Once they have a sufficient base, they can go on to whatever and be relatively fine because they likely know their limits better. Developing improper motor patterns, especially under fatiguing conditions is silly. Having no eccentric focus on movements is also silly. Hitching deadlifts for reps or max weight is retarded. Running backwards 400m for time after 100 pushups is just nonsensical.

I know. He's such a try-hard!

Why not just do regular push presses, be able to use much more weight, and have much more power output?

Sure, thrusters might make you break a sweat, but if you're lifting for cardio, you're doing it wrong, especially when there are much safer alternatives, such as sprinting or jump roping. That's how form deteriorates, and people are hurt, which is one of my main contentions against CF (along with there being no form of programming).

I could easily see someone catching a thruster wrong, sacrificing their thoracic integrity, and pulling a muscle in the upper back. Just not worth it, especially since the exercise is not optimal for really anything. It's not heavy enough for the front squat portion, but also not heavy enough for the push press portion. Additionally, the grips used on front squats and push presses aren't exactly the same. You will simply ingrain poor motor patterns into yourself, by either having your elbows too far in front for push presses, or too far back for front squats.

I enjoy thrusters. I've maxed them and done them for reps. It's not something you build absolute strength with but I like them for general performance improvement. The motor patterns shouldn't be an issue. If someone can't differentiate exercises, they shouldn't be lifting.

This is literally a surprisingly good chunk of my clientele when i do rehab. Idiots from crossfit who don't properly program. I love seeing SLAP tears, achilles tears, torn cuffs, disc herniations etc. They often come back even after discharge for similar issues because they go back to Xfitting.

It makes 100% sense to have proper progression etc. Once they have a sufficient base, they can go on to whatever and be relatively fine because they likely know their limits better. Developing improper motor patterns, especially under fatiguing conditions is silly. Having no eccentric focus on movements is also silly. Hitching deadlifts for reps or max weight is retarded. Running backwards 400m for time after 100 pushups is just nonsensical.
Couldn't agree more.

I enjoy thrusters. I've maxed them and done them for reps. It's not something you build absolute strength with but I like them for general performance improvement. The motor patterns shouldn't be an issue. If someone can't differentiate exercises, they shouldn't be lifting.

They can improve your general performance, but why do them when it can pretty easily lead to injury (due to the fatigue factor and the elbow positioning), and there are much better alternatives?

I hate the fact that there's always at least three crossfit idiots in my building's gym at any given time jumping from machine to machine incessantly and making it impossible to get a decent workout in.

It's gotten to the point where I can only work out there early in the morning or in the middle of the night (like I just finished doing).

This doesn't make sense. Why would "crossfitters" be using machines? One of the USP's for CrossFit is lack of equipment: barbell, bumper plates and a pull up bar is all you need. Maybe a heavy kettle bell.

CrossFit would make an a great supplement to MMA, as long as the box and trainers are of a high standard.
doing your s&c in a group dynamic is usually beneficial to workload. The high amount of olympic lifting caleathnics and gymnastics are all beneficial.
9/10 cannot program themselves, so will benefit from a good trainer doing it for them

This doesn't make sense. Why would "crossfitters" be using machines? One of the USP's for CrossFit is lack of equipment: barbell, bumper plates and a pull up bar is all you need. Maybe a heavy kettle bell.

CrossFit would make an a great supplement to MMA, as long as the box and trainers are of a high standard.
doing your s&c in a group dynamic is usually beneficial to workload. The high amount of olympic lifting caleathnics and gymnastics are all beneficial.
9/10 cannot program themselves, so will benefit from a good trainer doing it for them

I can understand people ENJOYING training more due to socialization, but why do you believe s+c in a group environment is beneficial?

Additionally, doing lots of heavy singles, doubles, and triples are GREAT for Olympic lifters. Doing sets of 50 are not.

Back