Why is Conor getting the Next TS @LW so controversial?

Hooker deserves it more.
And if Gaethje wins, Poirier deserves it more.
Gaethje winning has nothing to do with Poirier. Conor wrecked Dustin, or did you forget. Also whoever wins the title would rather make the big bucks against Conor.

Nobody even knew about MMA before Conor made it mainstream so ofc he deserves it more than anyone else

So you think that a single win over a fighter on a losing streak merits a title shot over a fighter who already decisively beat him a year earlier? Not to mention the win isn't even at lightweight. There are many more deserving fighters to get the title shot. Tony Ferguson beat Cerrone when he was still winning and is 12 and 2 at lightweight. Justin Gaethje knocked finished 4 top 10 fighters and the former number 1 contender. The winner of Dan Hooker-Dustin would be in a good position too. A single win over a spent Donald Cerrone doesn't merit a title shot, and insults the other more qualified contenders. Conor is 1-1 at lightweight in the UFC.

He hasn’t earned it.

More fair to give the shot to someone who has recently fought and won at LW.

You dont get to beat a LW in a WW fight and then ask for a LW title shot.
By that logic Nate should have gotten a TS when he beat Conor or when DP beat Max to oblivion, DP should have gotten a shot at the FW belt.

UFC has a terrible, or non-existent, merit system. Not like I wouldn't watch if he got a shot, but honestly based on activity and wins I would prefer others get their due. WWE-like popularity has a big place in UFC so the answer as to why he would get it is pretty obvious. However, I feel this robs us (and obv the fighters) of consistency and opportunity.

His lone win in nearly 4 years is over a guy coming off 2 stoppage losses and 4-6 in his last 10 in a different weight class. If it wasn’t Conor, nobody would be talking about a title shot.

A good example would be if Ortega returned after a layoff and a dominant loss. He fights aging veteran, Frankie Edgar (Coming off 2 losses) at Lightweight and wins. Think he earned a title shot at Featherweight?

Sends the wrong message to other fighters who have to climb through a division and earn a title shot like Khabib did.

If he jumped over someone like JG ok but the truth is that theres a massive hole in the LW division and no contenders.

I’m not saying that LW isn’t a deep division because it obviously is but its not like WW where you have 2-4 guys who could legit ask for a title shot and be deserved.

I say give Conor another titleshot and lets see if he still has it.

(After Khabib-Gaethje of course )<Fedor23>)
McGregor hasn't won a fight at Lightweight since 2016.

/thread

He also has way more twitter followers than fighters have.
The twitterweight champ types whatever the fuck he wants (but retains the right to delete within 10 seonds)

Not going to mention his bank account.

Yeh you just did mention it.

Mixed
Martial
Arts

not

Money
Making
Abilities.

Khabib should do us all a favour and offer an immediate rematch with Conor on condition that the loser retires from all televised combat sport for life.

He hasn’t fought at LW since losing the Khabib fight

No, he fought and won in a weight class above lightweight. Usually doing something like that is harder, so it holds more weight than just winning a lw fight. But since Conor lives in your head rent free, you can find anything to bitch about, even if it doesn't make sense.

Back