Why is Charles Oliveira not getting a decent fight?

HUGHPHUG

AL CAPS YO
@Gold
Reaction score
I know this isn't new, but...

5 fight win streak over the last 16 months, all stoppages, mostly against veterans of the game

But on Saturday he is fighting Jared Gordon, 3-2 in the UFC, 1-2 in the last three (two losses by T/KO)
Tapology have him ranked at 62

Was there really no one else for him to fight?

Does no one want to fight him? At this point a recognizable fighter should be getting a Fight Night main event against a top 10er

Oh wait, he doesn't move needles so he doesn't deserve a main even fight, he's not even co-main for fuck sake, leave that to the number one LHW contender fight of Shogun vs Craig, boy that's one for the ages.

What about Iaquinta/Dariush/Hernandez/Barboza/Hooker/Cerrone

even Trinaldo or Bobby Green would have been better fights and they're on the same card

No disrespect to Jared, it's a massive fight for him and will be a massive leap for him if he gets the win, which is possible. Do Bronx has folded in fights before, but perhaps this is the new do Bronx mentality (similar to Masvidal; 'hold on, maybe if I try to win fights now I won't lose them?')

Who knows, anyone even care?

Here are some lovely toasts
Toast.jpg

OH MY GOD I POSTED IN THE HEAVIES!!!

High risk, low reward for other fighters. Some of them just won't sign for those types of match ups.

High risk, low reward for other fighters. Some of them just won't sign for those types of match ups.
And doesn't that suck? Fuckin pussies

They shouldn't be 'offered' fights, if you're ranked, you have to fight, or get the fuck out

He's a gatekeeper... He gets KTFO by the studs and puts humiliating submissions on the scrubs.

He's making dough, everyone knows his name like Cheers, but he likely still gets KTFO by the sharks in the division, so if I was him I'd be happy to be one of the only guys making 50k Reebok money on top of a decent show/win purse on the long term.

Some guys get two fights and that's that... He's there plugging away, a total novelty fighter that you can spice up any low-end card with, but a champion he will never be. He could carry on working and paying bills for years the way he's going. Get more fights than Wilson Goveia. His style has longevity.

I'm a fan, I've always liked his "crazy legs" style, but his ceiling is much lower the he thinks it is... Fortunately Dana knows where it's at, and has been using him fairly well imo.

Charles historically has lost every time he gets a step up and he's getting paid well to crush cans so why not keep up with the easy paydays

I want to see him against a ranked guy soon. His mentality looks better and his striking has really come along. I’d like to see him against Al or Hooker.

i think they simply wanted a guaranteed win for him in brazil. lw is super stacked and going on a 5 fight win streak doesnt really cut it at this point, unless theyre big names. i do agree he deserves a guy in the top 15-20 if he wins this one though

also, u cant really be surprised shogun is comain over do bronx... right? i mean, of course he is

He's a gatekeeper... He gets KTFO by the studs and puts humiliating submissions on the scrubs.

He's making dough, everyone knows his name like Cheers, but he likely still gets KTFO by the sharks in the division, so if in was him I'd be happy to be one of the only guys making 50k Reebok money on top of a decent show/win purse.

Some guys get two fights and that's that... He's there plugging away, a total novelty fighter that you can spice up any low-end card with, but a champion he will never be.

I'm a fan, I've always liked his "crazy legs" style, but his ceiling is much lower the he thinks it is... Fortunately Dana knows where it's at, and has been using him fairly well imo.
I wouldn't just call him " gatekeeper "( this term used too much). First off, he needs to take of business this week. Hes one of those guys where you shouldn't reference fights from a couple of years ago. Hes filled out his frame, has evolved on his feet and looks straight up nasty. In fact- he wins this weekend ( if) and gets a high profile fight..... this will be the fight I'll bet $$$ on do bronx and I hope it's a top guy like the wreckless gaejthe. I ll laugh my way to the bookie bank with Charles as a decent sized underdog.

He's making dough, everyone knows his name like Cheers, but he likely still gets KTFO by the sharks in the division, so if in was him I'd be happy to be one of the only guys making 50k Reebok money on top of a decent show/win purse.

Some guys get two fights and that's that... He's there plugging away, a total novelty fighter that you can spice up any low-end card with, but a champion he will never be.

Godammit man I can't even argue with that! That's why we love you Buff

He is one of those guys, like Cerrone, who mostly fails when he takes a step up, but he never reached Donald's heights or popularity

i didn't want to say in the OP that he has a tendency to quit but he does. However I'd still like to see him fight a legit top tenner and lose that nastily, than fight the number 62 LW in the world and possibly lose and drift off to obscurity.

Surely there is more money in main eventing against a ranked guy than this?

Somehow once you lost a few fights to some gatekeepers the UFC loses trust in you and wont push you as hard as some other prospects, even tho you might have clearly evolved.
Also he doesnt really have decent star potential which might be a factor.
Also its LW. The divison is fcked since Conor came through. No clear rankings, a lot of big names who havent fought each other and are lurking for the next shot.

I wouldn't just call him " gatekeeper "( this term used too much). First off, he needs to take of business this week. Hes one of those guys where you shouldn't reference fights from a couple of years ago. Hes filled out his frame, has evolved on his feet and looks straight up nasty. In fact- he wins this weekend ( if) and gets a high profile fight..... this will be the fight I'll bet $$$ on do bronx and I hope it's a top guy like the wreckless gaejthe. I ll laugh my way to the bookie bank with Charles as a decent sized underdog.

I think you're right, he could be a sleeper in the division, but he has a lot to prove.

I like watching him fight, and if he added stand up then he would be a threat to the upper echelons, but for now he's the equivalent of a really good spinning shit striker that is vulnerable in the ground.

There was a recent interview where he talked about this. I’m paraphrasing but he said something like a lot of the guys didn’t want to fight him or wanted to wait for later dates. However he likes to get paid so he just took the fight with whoever accepted.

I think you're right, he could be a sleeper in the division, but he has a lot to prove.

I like watching him fight, and if he added stand up then he would be a threat to the upper echelons, but for now he's the equivalent of a really good spinning shit striker that is vulnerable in the ground.
" vulnerable on ground "
Huh ?

I know this isn't new, but...

5 fight win streak over the last 16 months, all stoppages, mostly against veterans of the game

But on Saturday he is fighting Jared Gordon, 3-2 in the UFC, 1-2 in the last three (two losses by T/KO)
Tapology have him ranked at 62

Was there really no one else for him to fight?

Does no one want to fight him? At this point a recognizable fighter should be getting a Fight Night main event against a top 10er

Oh wait, he doesn't move needles so he doesn't deserve a main even fight, he's not even co-main for fuck sake, leave that to the number one LHW contender fight of Shogun vs Craig, boy that's one for the ages.

What about Iaquinta/Dariush/Hernandez/Barboza/Hooker/Cerrone

even Trinaldo or Bobby Green would have been better fights and they're on the same card

No disrespect to Jared, it's a massive fight for him and will be a massive leap for him if he gets the win, which is possible. Do Bronx has folded in fights before, but perhaps this is the new do Bronx mentality (similar to Masvidal; 'hold on, maybe if I try to win fights now I won't lose them?')

Who knows, anyone even care?

Here are some lovely toasts
Toast.jpg

giphy.gif

This is like the 3rd or 4th thread on this, recently.

This was the first matchup in his run that doesn't make sense.
He should definitely be fighting in that top 10 spot now.

It made sense he had to build his case outside the top 10 because he failed hard every previous chance he had, but I feel he's done that and earned another shot.
Oh well, he should run through this dude and then he better get his top 10 shot again.

giphy.gif

This is like the 3rd or 4th thread on this, recently.
Yeah but how many got toast in the OP?
And how TS got first reply to their own OPP?

You down with OPP?

I'll take you frame by frame it...

giphy.gif

I want to see him against a ranked guy soon. His mentality looks better and his striking has really come along. I’d like to see him against Al or Hooker.
That's the two that stand out for me, though I favor him to lose both.
But at least he needs to try

Back