Why is Cain known for his cardio?

He gassed hard in JDS II and III. It's just that JDS gassed even more than him.

getting tired =/= gassing. Gassing is when you're exhausted and become more or less useless. Cain was tired, JDS was gassed

Cain gets tired in some fights, but he hasn't gassed yet. He pushes himself and keeps a pretty good pace even though he is tired.

I don't refute it, but it's against slow HWs. All HWs are much slower in comparison to the other weight classes. Cain may not be able to keep up with LHWs or MWs in terms of speed.

I think it's more to do with the fact his wrestling has been so much better than all his opponents. It's pretty easy to land a lot of punches if you're able to squish all your opponents into the fence/mat for the entire fight.

If there was a featherweight with wrestling that much better than the competition, he'd also have a huge output from squashing them into the fence and using them as a punching bag.

He's born that way.

I can't remember where I read it but there was a study done on him when he was at Arizona State and it was concluded that his body doesn't produce lactic acid as fast (if at all) as it does in other people.

He's just a freak athlete.

getting tired =/= gassing. Gassing is when you're exhausted and become more or less useless. Cain was tired, JDS was gassed

Cain gets tired in some fights, but he hasn't gassed yet. He pushes himself and keeps a pretty good pace even though he is tired.

Agreed, I wish more people would use words correctly on here instead of exaggerating everything to where what they are saying isn't true or accurate.

I don't refute it, but it's against slow HWs. All HWs are much slower in comparison to the other weight classes. Cain may not be able to keep up with LHWs or MWs in terms of speed.

Cain would be faster than most LHW and I think he would be faster than the average guy at MW. I don't know why it's so hard for people to tell if someone is fast or not.

Um, no. While he slowed down a little in the championship rounds, Cain did NOT gas. With respect to the word gas, you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...

He slowed down allot

People trying to discredit Cain's cardio are hilarious. The guy is a machine, period. Let's look at the facts:

Strikes landed per minute:

RANK FIGHTER RECORD
1 Cain Velasquez 6.21
2 John Lineker 6.05
3 Fabio Maldonado 5.92
4 Max Holloway 5.86
5 Court McGee 5.62
6 T.J. Dillashaw 5.56
7 Alistair Overeem 5.45
8 Evan Dunham 5.42
9 Al Iaquinta 4.93
10 Luke Barnatt 4.86

So that's nearly 31 strikes LANDED per round...and he's a HW. The only other HW there is Reem and it's skewed because he get's KO'd after he gasses in the first.

Not to mention the fact that he is ALWAYS moving forward, ALWAYS controlling the clinch and octagon. His cardio should be unquestioned along with his grit and heart.

Well that about sums it up.

No one is saying he's as fast as lighter fighters. He is fast for his division, but obviously he's not going to be as quick as Mighty Mouse or even some middle weights.

He does, however, have equal and in many cases, higher output than fighters across any division. The ability to continually move forward, control the octagon and land strikes is a function of cardio, hence why he is lauded for having great cardio. He's really no different, and in many ways better, than Frankie whose entire game is also based on non-stop cardio.

Because he keeps up a pace that even a BW would struggle with.

I think people overrate his cardio it is good but it is only good for heavyweight standards.

Uuuummmmm.....that's why people praise him for his cardio. Because he IS a HW.

A man carrying around 240+-250+ pounds to be able to keep constant pressure the way Cain does would die of exhaustion.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is great or the ability to have great cardio can be genetic, you couldn't go and train your ass off for a year and be able to have a manny Pacquaio type work rates. You can't train your ass off and go and win a marathon cardio like everything comes down to genetics.

Watch a Cain fight then go and watch any other heavyweight fight, the paces are completely different.

cain may have slowed down a litle bit in some of his fights, but like others have said, it was much less than his opponent. theres a difference between your opponent gassing, and making your opponent gas. cain makes his opponent gas, and that speaks to his cardio.

Back