Why is BJJ so ffff-ing hard?!?

my first couple classes i got passed, submitted, destroyed in every which way. that weekend, i decided to get an escape from everywhere, that is, all the different side control positions, mount, and recover guard from half guard. i realized that even though i've seen tons of sweeps and submissions from watching BJJ and MMA, i couldn't try any of them if my guard was getting passed in like 3 seconds.

btw, the secret... it's position before submission. though it's not really a secret.

I've been training for only about 3 months, so yeah, I know it's still brand new. But I can't seem to do anything. I'm constantly in positions/situations that I have no clue what to do. Although I "know" (that is, I'm aware of) a number of subs, I almost never pull them off. Can someone please tell me what the learning curve is like, and at what point do you start to see the puzzle? Also, aside from going to class as often as possible, what else can I do to help myself understand.view BJJ as the chess match it should be (or so I'm told). I mean, to me, just getting my ass handed to me 3x per week doesn't seem to be helping. :redface:

So, just curious to hear from you 8 years later. Lol What advice would you give yourself? =)

OP don't get discouraged. If you at my posts here I sound a lot like you.

It just takes a while. For everyone it seems. Some days you will do good some not so good. You have to be mentally tough and don't let the bad days get you down.

You know what helps (and my experienced instructor seems to know this), but if your struggling and go against a brand new white belt and have your way with him that is basically what you can reasonably expect to be able to do in a street fight situation against someone who knows no BJJ.

At least to me , that motivates me a lot

bjj is the easiest art to learn out of the main 4 especially nowadays when guys wear pokemon rashguards and have no top passing game make sure to be explosive and play top learn 3 solid passes over under double overs knee cut or double unders and stay heavy

BJJ is hard because it is basically just a version of crocodile wrestling adapted for use against aquatic apes.

I'll stop thinking we're pussies when the version that works against large tree apes comes out.

Holy thread necromancy. However, this is a gem.

BJJ is easy. It just takes a really long time to figure that out.

I'd nitpick and say that BJJ is simple, not easy, but w/e. Obviously there are details within details, but all my breakthroughs occur when I discover fundamental similarities between positions and movements. The less I have to think about complexity, the better I get.

I had a feeling this was an old thread!
I hope i never figure it out. I seek out ways to get my ass kicked. Loving the 20 plus year journey.

Back