Why is BJJ so ffff-ing hard?!?

Great posts, guys. Thanks. It's nice to know it's not just me. I guess what's been troubling me is the question of whether the practice of rolling and getting my ass kicked is in and of itself helpful. I guess it is, so off I go.
BTW, orange: most of the guys I roll with are failrly close to my size (5'10", 180), and they tend to be advanced white belts and blue belts, with the occasional purple thrown in.

If you keep yourself calm, you're learning (whether you realize it or not) how to survive. This will progress towards competent defense and then offense. Just give it time.

normally the first 6 months is a difficult time for everyone.

BJJ really goes against the grain in our modern time of wanting instant gratification.

Progress is slow and measured over years and still after many years there will be others better than you who absolutely dominate you.

It's a maturing process. Some can't handle it and quit but the ones who persist reap the awards.

BJJ taking a long time to understand is the best part about it. I love how when i started i had no idea what i was doing for 5-6 months. Now, 8 months in, i kinda know what i'm supposed to do, i see myself improving, and i see myself being able to do things with ease that, when i started, seemed more complicated than quantum mechanics.

It's awesome to work hard and actually see improvement in something.

If it were easy to get good, would you want it as much?

Now, depending on whether you have work, what time it is there etc... go train.

b/c you are posting stupid things like this instead of analysing how you are getting beat and looking up techniques on youtube on how to escape/defend yourself.
you will not submit people very often or at all for the first few months.
and start going more than three times a week.

Thanks for that incredibly myopic response. Did you actually read my post, where I specifically acknowledged that everything is still very new after only 3 months?
But you're right: the 60 seconds or so that it took me to post this really could have been better spent on youtube. :redface:
Idiot.

b/c you are posting stupid things like this instead of analyzing how you are getting beat and looking up techniques on youtube on how to escape/defend yourself.
you will not submit people very often or at all for the first few months.
and start going more than three times a week.

Most all of this is retard and should be ignored.

I've underlined the only words that should be bothered with.

Great posts, guys. Thanks. It's nice to know it's not just me. I guess what's been troubling me is the question of whether the practice of rolling and getting my ass kicked is in and of itself helpful. I guess it is, so off I go.
BTW, orange: most of the guys I roll with are failrly close to my size (5'10", 180), and they tend to be advanced white belts and blue belts, with the occasional purple thrown in.

Ok, so you are train BJJ for 3 months and you are orange?

Is that a kid belt?

Ok, so you are train BJJ for 3 months and you are orange?

Is that a kid belt?

I think he's addressing the poster above named Orange-something who asked about his opponents' sizes.

I've been training for only about 3 months, so yeah, I know it's still brand new. But I can't seem to do anything. I'm constantly in positions/situations that I have no clue what to do. Although I "know" (that is, I'm aware of) a number of subs, I almost never pull them off. Can someone please tell me what the learning curve is like, and at what point do you start to see the puzzle? Also, aside from going to class as often as possible, what else can I do to help myself understand.view BJJ as the chess match it should be (or so I'm told). I mean, to me, just getting my ass handed to me 3x per week doesn't seem to be helping. :redface:

You certainly don't "know" submissions you can't pull off. The first problem is knowing what to do, when to do it. So focus on that. Then the submissions and sweeps will come.

Everybody pretty much said it. When you first start, you obviously aren't going to know what you are doing. It takes a lot of time to tighten up your game. Just go at your own pace, and don't worry about what anybody else is doing. Jiu-jitsu is about being better than YOU were, not better than everybody else is. Just relax. You're going to learn a lot, and you have to get tapped a lot in order to do that.

I have read that you get your ass kicked for the first year or two in BJJ.My theory is that it is toughening you up.I'm starting class in early august and I keep telling my wife I know how hard is going to be but then again if it was easy would it be worth it and would it be legit?

"BJJ is easy. It just takes a really long time to figure that out."

Nice :)

Suck it up candy ass. Sooner or later a bigger wimp then you is going to come through teh door.

Suck it up candy ass. Sooner or later a bigger wimp then you is going to come through teh door.

Are you even trying anymore?

Where's the "hardness?"

P.S. When is the bigger wimp showing up at my school? You promise?

Are you even trying anymore?

Where's the "hardness?"

P.S. When is the bigger wimp showing up at my school? You promise?

You actually feel bad for this *** TS? Who the fuck comes to a BJJ fourm to cry about getting there ass kicked.
Oh and your calling me a wimp and challenging me to come to your school? Who the fuck are you Sensei Al? lol. Im not all that at BJJ but I train hard and don't cry, and I fight HARD.

Oh and your mom didn't ask "Where's the HARDNESS" I feel like Connery on Trebeck celeberty jepoardy.

Once I started relaxing and focusing on it as a whole thing, not just an armbar here or a heel hook there it all sort of came to together.

I am new also (3months), and i only pulled off my first submission in class about 2 weeks ago. It felt good to know that I was actually learning something and was lucky enough to pull something off. I am still getting tapped, but for the most part I am still playing the defense and just learning as I go. Every person is different and everything clicks at different moments. I think once you have successfully executed your first submission cleanly then will you start to think "hey now I get it.....sorta" It will come with time to do things but once it does you will find that your eagerness to learn will grow even more because the simplest of moves will start to feel second nature to you and you will be ready to understand all the different moves that are taught later on.

I'm about two months in and I think I've been able to pull 2 arm bars and a few chokes. I suck too! But.. it's probably normal to suck that much in the beginning.

Back