Why is basketball players looked up to as the greatest athletes?

Are basketball players the best athletes?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
athleticism is usually defined by how effectively and quickly the athlete can perform triple extension:

Triple extension is a common movement performed with many different activities. Some of these activities include Olympic lifting, jumping rebounds, sprinting and even gymnastic movements like back flips. A key point to remember with a triple extension are the 3 joints that perform the movement:
  • Hip extension
  • Knee extension
  • Ankle plantarflexion

aka, explosiveness.
63f79a_958183eda54a4a8e8533fe1e19fb65a3.jpg

sprint-start-analysis-300x169.png

Snatch_Power_thumb.jpg

tim_lincecum2-300x240.jpg

That mostly depends on muscle fibres

More fast twitch muscle fibres = more explosiveness

That + biomechanics n morphology.

Ppl with longer legs (longer levers) will be able to generate more power to propel themselves further away (jumping/running)

Ppl with shorter legs (shorter levers) will be able to generate more localized power (lifting heavy weights)

Nope.
Jordan didn't make it in golf, or baseball, let alone MMA.

Golf n baseball requires way more skill than mma.

In both of those sports you have to learn how to control one object, hit another n make it go as far away as possible n be as precise as possible.

You don’t have much of shortcuts in those type of sports n superior athleticism will help you very little if at all cause it’s a stationary sport.

In mma you use your own arms n legs n the target is way bigger n you’re in motion.

There the superior athleticism makes a huge difference.

And that they can transition to MMA better than any other athlete from any sport. According to Sherdog.
Really?

It's not a particularly fast paced sport nor is it really the highest level sport in terms of hand eye coordination or split second decision making ( for the most part).

It has to be because they are tall but most of them are skinny and if you've ever seen a basketball fight outside of a few extremely uncoordinated when it comes to fighting.

Hockey players would possess far more transferable assets in my opinion.

In reality though, as far as the greatest athletes, period really, but who also possess all required elements, toughness, endurance, coordination, split second decision making, calmness under pressure and unparalleled fearlessness,( as ridiculed as I'm sure this comment will be), are racecar drivers.

athleticism is usually defined by how effectively and quickly the athlete can perform triple extension:

Triple extension is a common movement performed with many different activities. Some of these activities include Olympic lifting, jumping rebounds, sprinting and even gymnastic movements like back flips. A key point to remember with a triple extension are the 3 joints that perform the movement:
  • Hip extension
  • Knee extension
  • Ankle plantarflexion

aka, explosiveness.
63f79a_958183eda54a4a8e8533fe1e19fb65a3.jpg

sprint-start-analysis-300x169.png

Snatch_Power_thumb.jpg

tim_lincecum2-300x240.jpg
according to whom?

Out of thousands of college basketball players, only a tiny fraction will make the NBA.

The rest of them will never be professional athletes.

I mean. They're tall as shit.... and they're not slobs or anything, all these guys DO for a living is run around as fast as they can all the time or leap off of their legs up vertically or at an angle through the air towards the hoop or to take a shot over someone trying to block them... They are going to have to be in some serious damn shape to be in any way competitive. I will not knock something that I cannot achieve. I have not even mastered the sport I want to and I never will to be honest . That's a fact , mostly since I'm here right now instead of training.... these guys are dedicated professional athletes who don't really play games... they are in there to win, they are paid to win. So are the other guys.

82 regular season games. Sometimes back to back. The physical demand of that is pretty serious

Forrest Griffin said NHL'er Dustin Byfuglien would have been great in MMA.

Byfuglien is 6'5", 260 and is remarkably fast and agile for his massive frame. Zero doubt the dude would be an absolute weapon in MMA. Scary thing too - coming from hockey - cardio wouldn't even be an issue for him. He'd probably have the best cardio of any heavyweight.

82 regular season games. Sometimes back to back. The physical demand of that is pretty serious
Its a kids game that they get to play.. key word they are playing ..wish I could get paid to play a child's game .. pretty silly really . 82 games in 8 months isn't shit .

Because they get paid the most. (together with football)

NBA players on average are paid several times what football players receive. NFL players generally get less than top athletes in the other major sports.

Apples and oranges. Every pro athlete in every pro sport can do things that 99.something % of the rest of the population cant.

You could take a Yasiel Puig in baseball or a Russell Westbrook in basketball or a Saquon Barkley in football and they all possess that explosivity that you look for. But is there a swimmer or soccer player that has the stamina that would be gold if they had a little training with it.

Back