Why is basketball players looked up to as the greatest athletes?

Are basketball players the best athletes?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Football = not as good cardio, too muscle bound, not as long bodies/reach
Basketball = Jones like frames, great cardio, fast twitch explosive movements

I still think running backs and defensive backs are probably the most explosively athletic, but for fighting, guys like Diaz and Jones show us there is a lot more than being explosive.

People always assume big black dudes are the best fighters
Yeah, well have you noticed how the HW and LHW categories have grown a serious tan over the past decade as more money comes into the sport?

Keep in mind that representation is vastly disproportionate not just to blacks' per capita population globally, but also in North America & Brazil which dominate the sport of MMA. This reflects a truth that has held true since Joe Louis put the hurt to Schmeling in their rematch in boxing up until the Klitschko brothers, briefly, and also with Fury/Valuev, but appears to have been restored to that past long held reality already with Wilder and Joshua (I don't see Ruiz's reign lasting long).

We all knew Ngannou just needed more seasoning. He's coming to claim his throne.

Lol some of you CUCKS have never played a single sport in your life. You spew stuff just for the sake of it:

Basketball athletes are made exactly for what they do: BASKETBALL. Have you ever seen some of these lanklets in real life?

1. They’re goofy, uncoordinated, awkward moving human beings.

2. Their sport includes heavy rotation, constant time outs, and breaks throughout the game... essentially the game is played in short bursts.

3. Basketball players are HIGHLY injury prone. Their exaggerated limbs are not made for full contact sports. Charles Barkley in his prime was considered one of the more “physical” players in the league and he even ADMITS that basketball players are not “Tough Enough” for high impact sports like football.

Fighting itself requires different attributes altogether: being calm under high intensity moments (Fight IQ), muscle endurance, unreal hand/feet eye coordination, punching power etc.

You can be the fastest, highest jumping human being in the world but what happens when you find yourself underneath someone punching your face in waiting to tear a limb off at any wrong movement?

Not to mention have you ever seen these awkward goofs hit heavy bags? Compare their switch kicks to someone like Adesanya or Aldo LOL.

have you ever seen a basketball player hit pads? its sad.
lankyness slows you down

Biggest tallest yet still mobile humans in a very fast paced sport. The slow twitched flabby Ben Askren's of the world get weeded out fast.
john-wall.gif

good job on the motion blur. you can do a gif like that for tons of different sports

people are hung up on NBA and NFL because thats whats popular. there are amazing athletes in all kinds of sports.

Because they get paid the most. (together with football)

So people with the most athletic habilities/genetically gifted would tend to flock in that direction, making the cut a lot harder

I imagine thats the most acceptable line of thinking. Am i wrong sherbros? Thats what i always thought
So by your logic soccer players would be the best right?( just thinking about the big paycheques in Europe)
Besides Americans who the f*ck is playing football?
Biggest tallest yet still mobile humans in a very fast paced sport. The slow twitched flabby Ben Askren's of the world get weeded out fast.
john-wall.gif
To be honest though most of them are p*ssies! It’s much much easier to look good dribbling a ball down a court then getting punched in the face!

Naw don’t retract your statement now. There was no hint of sarcasm in your comment spineless dweeb. Don’t talk to me kid
Sorry your lame ... I don't believe it's right to play kid sports for millions . Money is just a material thing . I would rather build my treasures in heaven...

hopefully you will too someday , Have a great day .

Lol some of you CUCKS have never played a single sport in your life. You spew stuff just for the sake of it:

Basketball athletes are made exactly for what they do: BASKETBALL. Have you ever seen some of these lanklets in real life?

1. They’re goofy, uncoordinated, awkward moving human beings.

2. Their sport includes heavy rotation, constant time outs, and breaks throughout the game... essentially the game is played in short bursts.

3. Basketball players are HIGHLY injury prone. Their exaggerated limbs are not made for full contact sports. Charles Barkley in his prime was considered one of the more “physical” players in the league and he even ADMITS that basketball players are not “Tough Enough” for high impact sports like football.

Fighting itself requires different attributes altogether: being calm under high intensity moments (Fight IQ), muscle endurance, unreal hand/feet eye coordination, punching power etc.

You can be the fastest, highest jumping human being in the world but what happens when you find yourself underneath someone punching your face in waiting to tear a limb off at any wrong movement?

Not to mention have you ever seen these awkward goofs hit heavy bags? Compare their switch kicks to someone like Adesanya or Aldo LOL.

This post should be saved for everytime when this subject gets brought up .. you killed it bud .

Soccer is pretty ghey, imo, but I believe they have the best athletes. I played basketball in college and I play in soccer leagues now. Soccer is definitely harder and you have to be in better shape.

^^^Hard science at work^^^

<36>

Just like no baseball player could transition to the NBA or NFL...

All things considered Jordan actually did very well. He was improving rapidly and was actually fairly productive towards the end of his baseball “career”. It was actually pretty impressive if you look at it realistically.

Thats true. Neither have any professional bowlers.

Id gowith basketball or soccer. When they've done studies on athletes and taken athletes from different sports and have them do all sports the basketball and soccer players have always done the best at other sports other then their sport they get paid at.

Yeah definitely not soccer

The idea that there is a single type of best athlete is ridiculous. Different sports require different types of athletic abilities, physical attributes and body types. Look at the Olympics, the athletes of different sports look vastly different.

This needs to be a sticky for the million threads that fantasise about a level athletes.

So by your logic soccer players would be the best right?( just thinking about the big paycheques in Europe)

To be honest though most of them are p*ssies! It’s much much easier to look good dribbling a ball down a court then getting punched in the face!
I was waiting for you.

I knew someone would show up with that. Im surprised it took this long

And i give you this:

The idea that there is a single type of best athlete is ridiculous. Different sports require different types of athletic abilities, physical attributes and body types. Look at the Olympics, the athletes of different sports look vastly different.

Soccer players dont need to be as athletic. Its a completely different skillset

The block James did on Green was Legendary! a man of that size getting up the court that quick like that is mind blowing.

<BronTroll1>{<doc}

top-30-hardest-sports.jpg

Boxers are better all-around athletes

Boxing is the most athletic sport around. A few years ago, a wide panel of sports experts, including sports scientists, researchers, athletes and journalists, objectively ranked the level of athleticism needed to compete in 60 sports.

To determine the level of athleticism needed, each sport was broken down into 10 categories: endurance, strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, nerve, durability, hand-eye coordination and analytic aptitude. Then, the experts ranked each category for each sport. The average represents the difficulty level of each sport. According to the most scientific comparative research made in that subject, boxers are the best athletes, not basketball players.

Soccer plays higher at the top, but not across the board. The average salary in the NBA is $7m/yr now. Nevertheless, the largest talent pool isn't why it draws the most athletic individuals. It's more complicated than that.

All of this being said the talent base for basketball isn't necessarily optimal for any other given sport-- including MMA. But it definitely has greater general carryover across the gamut of strength & power sports than any other. Certain positions in football and sprinters are others at the very top.

top-30-hardest-sports.jpg

Boxers are better all-around athletes

Boxing is the most athletic sport around. A few years ago, a wide panel of sports experts, including sports scientists, researchers, athletes and journalists, objectively ranked the level of athleticism needed to compete in 60 sports.

To determine the level of athleticism needed, each sport was broken down into 10 categories: endurance, strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, nerve, durability, hand-eye coordination and analytic aptitude. Then, the experts ranked each category for each sport. The average represents the difficulty level of each sport. According to the most scientific comparative research made in that subject, boxers are the best athletes, not basketball players.
That's a garbage old ESPN poll with an arbitrary methodology that doesn't even accurately weight its own categories. It's terrible.

Back