Why is Barao still fighting at 135?

The problem with Barao is his skills seem to have diminished drastically. Top of my head I don't recall another UFC champ who had a decline so sudden as this guy.

Maybe one could make a case for Chris Weidman or B.J. Penn.

Sadly I see him being finished this weekend, Sanders is legit.

He got the "Till syndrome". He needs size to feel superior in fights.

Talk about a mismanaged career.

Barao had a pretty amazing run until he fought TJ. Then he beat Mitch Magnon in a fight that was too close. Then TJ happened again.

Cool. Speed kills and he cant hang with the little guys in that regard. Also his cardio suffers a lot.

The guy goes to 145 and fights a pretty dangerous Jeremy Stephens. He lost a contested 29-28 decision in fight where he looked pretty good.
Goes then and fight Philipe Nover.. who is not a world beater but he got a clear win.

What he does after? Goes back to 135 to fight and loses 3 in a row. Last one missing weight by almost 6 pounds.

His managment or the UFC should force him to fight at FW or go back to the regional circuit.

Agreed Barao's regression as been disturbing I thought after two TJ beatings he would've taken some notes and applied to his own toolbox but I don't see it.

He needz to forget about 135 and do work @fw the weight cut is draining him and frankly makes him look a lil coward, MAN UP! Go fight proper manlets @fw...

He gets destroyed at either weight. He is a shell of a broken man.

He did have a very drastic and sharp drop off... Which we have seen in a decent amount/large amount of aging fighters.. But I feel like you start to see some signs of slowing / aging...

Barao got wiped out by T.J... Twice.. and was never the same... like, not even close...

Why do you think that is.??

I’m not being a dick and can’t recall the timeframe but, USADA? Concussions? Sport “passed him by”? Etc....

Mma math doesn’t work... and this is kind of a stab in the dark/random thought...

But Faber was, in my view, a borderline generational fighter.. beat tons of top shelf talent, former champ, only lost to the 1% of the 1%... Barao handled him in a 5 round decision and then tko’d him in rematch...

I feel like Faber would still be able to compete and win higher level fights as of now.. more so then Barao... Not exactly sure what that means exactly... But find it interesting..

Could be just style of fighting, different career paths(ie how they took care of themselves).. etc..

Always wonder about things like this..

He's pretty close to done but FW is likely the better place for him. It's too bad he believes he needs to drop a ton of weight.

Back