Why is Anderson Silva so great?!

So easy to say beat him with wrestling but Hendo used his wrestling yes he won the round but got outstriked in the second and subbed. Cheal beat Andy with his wrestling but he got caught in a sub
And TKOed in the second.
My point is you cannot beat him at one thing, Anderson is very well rounded and can beat you in alot of places. You need to be a complete fighter to have a good chance against him

being well rounded is always better then not in MMA but Chael, in the first fight, proved that it was POSSIBLE to beat Anderson with just a dominant wrestling game and top bjj defense.. Yes we all know Chael lost but he did not have the second thing.

JDS beat Cains wrestling the first time and was undefeated to wrestlers until he lost. Pointing to Anderson's wins does not mean that he is not vulnerable to it.

he is the MW GOAT though and favorite against anyone.

A big part of Anderson is the reputation that was built by himself, Joe Rogan, and Dana White. Dana White crammed AS being the best mixed martial arts fighter ever even before it was true. And when Joe Rogan would call guys like Chris Leben, James Irvin, or the many other mediocre fighters Anderson Silva has defeated "world class", then people start thinking he is larger than life.

Not to say Anderson isn't the best, but the following are his TRUE achievements in the UFC:
Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Chael Sonnen, and Vitor Belfort. Now compare that to what Jon Jones has done in a shorter span of time:
Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson, and Shogun. Not only is the list longer, but these fighters are all creme de la creme guys, which isn't true for Anderson.

There are 2 bigger reasons I think Anderson Silva is the best MMA fighter of all time:
1. Fedor fought past his prime
2. GSP hasn't caught up in terms of quality opposition. The only opposition of GSP's that are in the same tier as Anderson's top tier are Penn and Hughes.
3. Jon Jones hasn't caught up in terms of time. It's only a matter of time before Jones surpasses Anderson.

Also, Anderson isn't even technically the best "mixed martial artist", GSP is. Anderson is really someone with the best muay thai and excellent BJJ. He only has defensive wrestling, which is good at best. GSP is pretty much excellent in every aspect of mma(wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, BJJ).

Finally, look at what Chael did to Anderson the first time. He went in there without fear and would have beaten him decisively if not for that hail mary submission of desperation.

I can't stand Jones, but he will surpass Anderson in no time.

And take in the fact how long an avg LHW remains a champion... and then look how long AS has been a champ :p

Some statistics just don't hold much weight when it comes to comparing

I feel pretty confident that jones# of title defences will eventually rival anderson's

In answer to your question:

Because he is a Mortal Kombat kharacter who employs every cheat code and fatality while his opponents are still trying to figure out Frogger.

Because people think his mma game is as good as his striking

Dumb post. If it were true he wouldn't have submitted every wrestler he has faced in the UFC.

He's obviously more than just a great striker and anyone who says differently doesn't know what they're talking about.

Dumb post. If it were true he wouldn't have submitted every wrestler he has faced in the UFC.

Silva is obviously more than just a great striker and anyone who says differently doesn't know what they're talking about.

Another example of sherdog logic. Jesus, why do so many peoplie on this board think it's as simple as NOT X = Y? MMA is mostly comprised of boxing, muay thai, wrestling, judo, and bjj. Anderson is good at all of them but wrestling and judo. Therefore, this is what is meant by his mma game isn't as good as his striking. Anderson's striking is the best in the UFC. You can't dispute that. But his overall mma game is not as good as good as his striking. Actually, his mma isn't as good as gsp. It's just that Anderson is so good with his striking he doesn't need to be good at every discipline.

2. GSP hasn't caught up in terms of quality opposition. The only opposition of GSP's that are in the same tier as Anderson's top tier are Penn and Hughes.

Wait, what?

I agree with a lot of stuff in this thread, but this is completely incorrect.

GSP has fought much better fighters on average, and it isn't all that close.

Wait, what?

I agree. GSP has the most Top 5 wins of any fighter ever.

Another example of sherdog logic. Jesus, why do so many peoplie on this board think it's as simple as NOT X = Y? MMA is mostly comprised of boxing, muay thai, wrestling, judo, and bjj. Anderson is good at all of them but wrestling and judo. Therefore, this is what is meant by his mma game isn't as good as his striking. Anderson's striking is the best in the UFC. You can't dispute that. But his overall mma game is not as good as good as his striking. Actually, his mma isn't as good as gsp. It's just that Anderson is so good with his striking he doesn't need to be good at every discipline.

All he really lacks is wrestling. His BJJ isn't as good as his striking but it's still impressive and he has won fights because of it.

As for GSP, I personally believe the only area in MMA where he's better than Silva is wrestling. Just my opinion, though.

fb430c52_OhSweetIrony.jpeg

Wait, what?

I think on average yes, but personally when I determine "best ever" status, I give more weight to incredible fighters you've beaten rather than excellent fighters who won't make the hall of fame(Fitch, Condit, Alves, Koscheck).

people think jon jones is better yet vitor was close to finishing him and anderson knocked him out with his big toe without getting touched.

mma works breh

Jones is a beast, but it's deniable that Silva is better. The reason Jones beat 5 former champs is because the LHW belt was passed around like a slut that you meet at the club for the past couple years til' Jones came along.
The LHW belt was passed around like a slut because the division was filled with good to great fighters who were very closely matched with the exception of Forrest Griffin. That was purely right place, right time with Shogun's torn ACL earning him the shot and Rampage being one of the dumbest fighters of all-time.

Don't ever bring that up that belt being passed around to downplay LHW at MW's expense without reminding yourself that MW had been dominated by an average fighter in Rich Franklin who has never been able to even earn a title shot at Light Heavyweight.

Silva's been the MW champ for almost 7 years already & nobody comes close. He has the most title defenses.
With the exception of perhaps Dan Henderson (who was put into that fight coming off a loss), has Anderson ever not been the favorite since winning the belt? They've all been fights he was supposed to win.

He has the most prolonged fight before a finish in the 5th round. He overcame adversity and has one of the greatest come backs of all time.
Give me a break. He was fighting a guy that had lost 7 times by submission and beat him with a submission. That's like someone getting beat down by Overeem (9 T/KO defeats) or Arlovski (7 T/KO defeats) then giving them a medal because he knocked them out.

He moved up a division and beat a worthy contender at the time, a former champ & the one guy who's had wars with the former champ while all on roids.
First, James Irvin was never a contender. He was low-mid to mid tier at best. Slap yourself for that. Second, Forrest Griffin is arguably the poorest fighter to hold Light Heavyweight Championship in four years and he was coming off the most brutal knockout of his career against Rashad Evans. Finally, Bonnar had A WAR with Griffin and it took place before either man had even earned their spot with the company. The rematch that took place afterwards was a 30-27 shutout on every scorecard. Anderson's dabbings at Light Heavyweight have always been cowardly, well-picked affairs.

I hate Jon Jones, but he's already proven himself a better fighter through his quality of opposition.

I think on average yes, but personally when I determine "best ever" status, I give more weight to incredible fighters you've beaten rather than excellent fighters who won't make the hall of fame(Fitch, Condit, Alves, Koscheck).
The only person Anderson Silva has ever defeated that deserves a HoF spot for his accomplishments in the cage is Dan Henderson. That is it.

There is NOTHING incredible about Franklin, Belfort, or Griffin.

A big part of Anderson is the reputation that was built by himself, Joe Rogan, and Dana White. Dana White crammed AS being the best mixed martial arts fighter ever even before it was true. And when Joe Rogan would call guys like Chris Leben, James Irvin, or the many other mediocre fighters Anderson Silva has defeated "world class", then people start thinking he is larger than life.

Not to say Anderson isn't the best, but the following are his TRUE achievements in the UFC:
Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Chael Sonnen, and Vitor Belfort. Now compare that to what Jon Jones has done in a shorter span of time:
Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson, and Shogun. Not only is the list longer, but these fighters are all creme de la creme guys, which isn't true for Anderson.

There are 2 bigger reasons I think Anderson Silva is the best MMA fighter of all time:
1. Fedor fought past his prime
3. Jon Jones hasn't caught up in terms of time. It's only a matter of time before Jones surpasses Anderson.

Also, Anderson isn't even technically the best "mixed martial artist", GSP is. Anderson is really someone with the best muay thai and excellent BJJ. He only has defensive wrestling, which is good at best. GSP is pretty much excellent in every aspect of mma(wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, BJJ).

Finally, look at what Chael did to Anderson the first time. He went in there without fear and would have beaten him decisively if not for that hail mary submission of desperation.

I can't stand Jones, but he will surpass Anderson in no time.

I don't disagree with your analysis. It is sound.

However, sometimes analysis must give way to the big picture. If you break it down analytically, you have a point. However, if you look at it holistically, you have no point at all.

My proof: Anderson Silva competes in MMA competitions. He wins all of them.

This is a case where the sum is greater than the parts, as they say.

The LHW belt was passed around like a slut because the division was filled with good to great fighters who were very closely matched with the exception of Forrest Griffin. That was purely right place, right time with Shogun's torn ACL earning him the shot and Rampage being one of the dumbest fighters of all-time.

Don't ever bring that up that belt being passed around to downplay LHW at MW's expense without reminding yourself that MW had been dominated by an average fighter in Rich Franklin who has never been able to even earn a title shot at Light Heavyweight.

With the exception of perhaps Dan Henderson (who was put into that fight coming off a loss), has Anderson ever not been the favorite since winning the belt? They've all been fights he was supposed to win.

Give me a break. He was fighting a guy that had lost 7 times by submission and beat him with a submission. That's like someone getting beat down by Overeem (9 T/KO defeats) or Arlovski (7 T/KO defeats) then giving them a medal because he knocked them out.

First, James Irvin was never a contender. He was low-mid to mid tier at best. Slap yourself for that. Second, Forrest Griffin is arguably the poorest fighter to hold Light Heavyweight Championship in four years and he was coming off the most brutal knockout of his career against Rashad Evans. Finally, Bonnar had A WAR with Griffin and it took place before either man had even earned their spot with the company. The rematch that took place afterwards was a 30-27 shutout on every scorecard. Anderson's dabbings at Light Heavyweight have always been cowardly, well-picked affairs.

I agree with much of what you posted.

Back