Why is Al Iaquinta still top 10 again?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 512089

The guy hasn't fought in more than a year and doesn't seemed pressed at ALL to fight again soon. He's also coming off two losses. Why he's in the top 10 ?

Screenshot-2020-04-09-at-14.54.49.png

"So, these guys we need to strong arm in contract negotiations, don't rank them yet. Here is Al. He's been a company man that we'll use to hype up the new prospects. Make sure he stays in the top 10 for a while."

The ranking lack of accuracy and sens like always.

they are afraid he will go on a tantrum if they remove him from the rankings

dont want the UFC PI to get trashed

The UFC likes to keep a few good gatekeepers around to hype prospects. If the top 10 were all killers it would be hard for young fighters to make it to the belt. Take Barboza for example. He's a great striker with a poor record against wrestlers. The UFC keeps fighters like him and Dos Anjos highly ranked so that they can give guys like Khamzat a quick road to the title. It's just business.

Mike Perry beat him in a Grapple Contest and we've not heard a peep since <22><MikeP1>

The UFC likes to keep a few good gatekeepers around to hype prospects. If the top 10 were all killers it would be hard for young fighters to make it to the belt. Take Barboza for example. He's a great striker with a poor record against wrestlers. The UFC keeps fighters like him and Dos Anjos highly ranked so that they can give guys like Khamzat a quick road to the title. It's just business.
Except RDA is actually good and a former champ...

The guy hasn't fought in more than a year and doesn't seemed pressed at ALL to fight again soon. He's also coming off two losses. Why he's in the top 10 ?
On fightmatrix and rankingsmma he's # 13, which is more accurate. There are probably at least half-a-dozen lower-ranked up-and-comers who could beat Al, but they haven't fought enough or are new to the UFC, so they're still stuck too low in the rankings.

He almost beat nurmagomedov on short notice. Look what happened to everyone ranked above him

iu

iu

27bbfcf3-khabibs-triangle-choke.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000582042743-e1589095375549.jpg

UFC still trying to make it seem like it was a good win for Khabib.

Screenshot-2020-04-09-at-14.54.49.png

"So, these guys we need to strong arm in contract negotiations, don't rank them yet. Here is Al. He's been a company man that we'll use to hype up the new prospects. Make sure he stays in the top 10 for a while."

This would make sense usually, except Al definitely isn't a company man.

I would not describe Al as a company man

This would make sense usually, except Al definitely isn't a company man.

You guys are right, I now remember him whining a lot. I also think I had the post-Khabib fight stuck in my mind. Please take into account that whenever I post, part of it is just random shit to give the meme some flavor, but what you say is true. I do think they want to use what's left of his name value to hype up other guys, and the rankings are manufactured in that way. He's going the way of Cowboy, Woodley, etc. I'd have him below both Dober and Dariush.

Last edited:
Honestly, LW just isn't as good as it used to be. Khabib is likely gone, and Conor is very unreliable. That leaves a great top 3 (Gaethje, Poirier, Ferguson), but after that, who's left? I'm starting to like Do Bronx 3.0, and RDA might make things interesting again, but no one else really screams "top contender". Even though Al is most likely a gatekeeper to the top 10, who else really deserves his ranking at 155?

Getting thoroughly, but boringly, outclassed does not count as "almost beating". I came here to defend Al (who did do better against Khabib than the others you mentioned, IMO), but this statement is asinine. He lost every round convincingly.

I was being facetious. Check out the last pic. No reason to have a melt down.

He pretty much uses ufc fights as a supplement to his regular job...the way others might use uber driving as a supplement...it's a part time thing for him.

Back