Why is advertising in public spaces even legal?

CaptHANDSUP

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously, I have a choice to watch television or go on the internet, a very shitty one but its still a choice. But I cant not go out into public. How is it legal that we're bombarded on a daily basis with adds that are literally designed to manipulate our simple monkey brains but given no possibly realistic way we could avoid it.

I dont want to be exposed to that shit but I have no choice but to be. Its like the whole planet is living under the dictatorship of corporate hegemony.

I dont know why there hasn't been some sort of social movement where people just go around spray painting literally any bus stop add they see. It'd be next to impossible for police to catch people like this. One guy alone could literally go on a spree in one night and spray paint 200 bus stop adds and never get caught.

Agreed, why advertise something to the masses you want consumers to buy? It’s insane.

Agreed, why advertise something to the masses you want consumers to buy? It’s insane.

Because people can make their own choice on what to buy, they dont need an advertisement telling them what to do. I wouldnt expect a sheep like you to understand that.

Also I didn't know that the wellbeing of a specific business (through its ability to advertise) is more important than the wellbeing of humans. Thanks for clearing that up Joe.

Lastly, to counter your argument before you post it: yes, it is factually true and scientifically proven that the effects of the advertising industry is definitely negative on the mental health of humans.

People aren’t very good at making their own choices, we abide by the loud mouths. People
Have to curb their opinions for fear of oppression. Opinion is all of a sudden damnation.

truth comes second to image.

You mean billboards on the highway or signs for businesses on their walls or the sidewalk or wat? Bus stop ads? While these things do act on your mind in an unconscious way and I'm all for personal freedom not being impinged upon, as shitty and useless as they are to you and I are they really that terrible? I despise ads on TV or the internet. Because of them I don't want (*Edit: Watch) tv but advertising is a necessary cog in the machine.

When ones eyes and mind are opened to the reality of symbols and the way colors and text and image structure manipulate us we have the tools to be less affected by it and the ability to see through it. Are you thinking righteously or admitting you are too vulnerable to the manipulation?

Go in the woods, just nature advertising there...

Last edited:
I agree TS. Advertising to kids is my bigger concern though, let's ban that first. There's a whole industry based on using sophisticated methods to manipulate children's developing brains, and it's mostly about getting them hooked on junk food.

Sometimes I see an ad and it reminds me to do something important.

Actually that happens to me with practically anything. If it doesn't remind me of something I would've forgot I at least reflect on what it reminds me of.

And, if I don't like the line of thinking I just ignore it.

But, basically it brings the best out of me tbh. Observant and thoughtful.

If they don’t advertise in public space they would only advertise in private space. Not sure I see the difference. If someone with property near a highway can get paid for a billboard why can’t the government be paid for their space at a bus stop. It’s only gonna cost more for everything if you prohibit them from generating any ad revenue. Most likely it will become government propaganda space instead, and I’m not sure that’s any better than advertising. jmho

Sometimes I see an ad and it reminds me to do something important.

Actually that happens to me with practically anything. If it doesn't remind me of something I would've forgot I at least reflect on what it reminds me of.

And, if I don't like the line of thinking I just ignore it.

But, basically it brings the best out of me tbh. Observant and thoughtful.

lol ads bring out the best in you?

I believe in you, you don't need ads!

<{1-12}>

Instagram replaced tagging.
Tagging is an old school word for Graffiti.
It's ironic how Instagram uses Tagging as a buzz word.

Tagging peaked in the 80's and then died out in the early 2000's.
I think it might have been a Generation X thing.
Haven't heard anyone talk about tagging walls in decades.

What is a bus stop ad?

Last edited:
Advertising is out of control and had become intrusive and obnoxious.

I'm to the point now that, when an ad interrupts my viewing of a video or pops up on a website I'm viewing, I make a mental note to buy from their competition.

If they don’t advertise in public space they would only advertise in private space. Not sure I see the difference. If someone with property near a highway can get paid for a billboard why can’t the government be paid for their space at a bus stop. It’s only gonna cost more for everything if you prohibit them from generating any ad revenue. Most likely it will become government propaganda space instead, and I’m not sure that’s any better than advertising. jmho
The Bus stop is not government space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most ads you see when you are in public are placed on private property. A billboard is often privately owned and sells off advertising to private or public business . So it’s technically not advertising in public places but in view of public places. That shouldn’t be illegal.

I'd much rather the city sell ads on buses and inside parking structures than raise taxes.

I wish Sherdog wouldn't cover half of my screen in ads when I'm on mobile.

There's usually some eye candy in the advertisements though, so I can't complain.

W4XxFkS.png

Back