Why is 4 weeks away considered "out of competition"?

Steroids are performance enhancers. Coke isn't. Simple as that. No comparison.

I always thought that "out of competition" means you weren't in a fight camp training for a fight. This is weeks away from a title fight, how is this considered "out of competition"?

Aren't the majority of PEDs used "weeks" away from the fight then? You need steroids to build muscle during training, not right before/during the fight.

In Nevada 'In Competition' begins 12 hours before a fight.

PEDs are banned out-of-competition. Recreational drugs are only banned in-competition. "In-competition" begins 12 hours before the fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-jo...2-after-positive-drug-test-075021247-mma.html
\

'In-Competition' means the period commencing twelve hours before a Competition in which the athlete is scheduled to participate through the end of such Competition and the Sample collection process related to such Competition

If the sample collection in December was related to the competition in in January, couldn't that be interpreted as still being In-Competition?

\

If the sample collection in December was related to the competition in in January, couldn't that be interpreted as still being In-Competition?

That was slightly more than twelve hours.

The use of the word "and" means that it is both 12 hours before the event, and the sample collection process related to the event.

In that case there would be no difference between in and out of competition.

Arbitrary AC standard, i think it is something like 48 hours before and up till the post fight drug test considered in competition it was the basis of Diaz defense. Only blood tests that weren't done or much higher levels would show he smoked recent in competition

It's a WADA standard that AC adopts.

In that case there would be no difference between in and out of competition.

Yes it would, if they tested him 6 months ago, when he didn't have a fight scheduled that would have been "out of competition" as there wouldn't be an event he was being tested for.

I think it is because those drugs have no impact on the fight until you are considered "in competition". Doing coke a month before a fight isn't going to make you win or lose the fight. If you are steroids a month before the fight it will help you win so steroids are illegal at any point.

Steroids are performance enhancers. Coke isn't. Simple as that. No comparison.

lol ever had coke and then gone to a disco? its a performance enhancer ....

Yes it would, if they tested him 6 months ago, when he didn't have a fight scheduled that would have been "out of competition" as there wouldn't be an event he was being tested for.

I don't know what else to say.

If you can't understand the difference between in/out of competition as laid out by WADA then this discussion is pointless.

Assuming the after fight test comes back clean the NAC will do nothing to Jones as he did not violate the rules. The UFC could punish him if they wanted to under their own code of conduct policy.

yup fight camps should be considered in competition

so no coffee no weed no painkillers either ?dont be silly...

The reason cocaine or weed or all these other banned substances are not banned out of competition is because they don't have performance enhancing qualities longterm. In a fight some of them might have and others might pose health risks so they are banned.
This is a huge story as far as Jones as a person is concerned and as far as the UFC's and athletic commissions image is concerned but for Jones the fighter this is blown way out of proportion by the haters spreading dangerous half knowledge and just false information to defame the man. Bad timing for him right after he angered them so greatly again last weekend.

that said his other test results are much more interesting, this story could develop into something much more scandalous.

I don't know what else to say.

If you can't understand the difference between in/out of competition as laid out by WADA then this discussion is pointless.

Assuming the after fight test comes back clean the NAC will do nothing to Jones as he did not violate the rules. The UFC could punish him if they wanted to under their own code of conduct policy.

Who can't understand it? I said it could be interpreted more than one way, if you choose to interpret it solely as the 12 hours before the event that's fine with me, I'm just saying it can be interpreted another way also.

The UFC can't punish him now since they knew about the failure at least 2 weeks before the fight and chose not to disclose it to Jones or his representatives. Shitty move on their part.

Lol... some guys have 12 week camps. Some dont stop training for more than a week between fights. Thats my point. Not a specific time. But if its illegal in competition it should just be illegal all together.

So fighters shouldn't be allowed to ingest caffeine, alcohol, take tylenol or anything else on the in competition banned list year round in fear they might get randomly tested?

i remember melvin guillard being popped for coke, was he caught "out of competition" as well? i dont remember

\

No. The source quoted in your post says in-competition commences 12 hours before the fight.

Back