Why is 4 weeks away considered "out of competition"?

roventu

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I always thought that "out of competition" means you weren't in a fight camp training for a fight. This is weeks away from a title fight, how is this considered "out of competition"?

Aren't the majority of PEDs used "weeks" away from the fight then? You need steroids to build muscle during training, not right before/during the fight.

I always thought that "out of competition" means you weren't in a fight camp training for a fight. This is weeks away from a title fight, how is this considered "out of competition"?

Aren't the majority of PEDs used "weeks" away from the fight then? You need steroids to build muscle during training, not right before/during the fight.

I'm 100% sure the UFC knew the results of that test at least a week or 2 before the fight. They didn't want to lose tons of money on this PPV and are trying to push this controversy under the carpet. Shame on the NSAC and the UFC for doing nothing about the #1 P4P fighter in the world coming up dirty in a drug test.

12 hours prior is considered in competition

PEDs are banned out-of-competition. Recreational drugs are only banned in-competition. "In-competition" begins 12 hours before the fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-jo...2-after-positive-drug-test-075021247-mma.html

According to Appendix One of the WADA code, in-competition is defined thusly:

"Unless provided otherwise in the rules of an international Federation or the ruling body of the event in question, 'In-Competition' means the period commencing twelve hours before a Competition in which the athlete is scheduled to participate through the end of such Competition and the Sample collection process related to such Competition."

The definition of out-of-competition is a little easier to understand:

"Any period which is not In-Competition."

Because it was Jones. Heck they'd probably bring back TRT just for him to use. Jones bends the rules.

They are fucken dumb for this considering how long training camps go for.

I'm 100% sure the UFC knew the results of that test at least a week or 2 before the fight. They didn't want to lose tons of money on this PPV and are trying to push this controversy under the carpet. Shame on the NSAC and the UFC for doing nothing about the #1 P4P fighter in the world coming up dirty in a drug test.

that shouldnt have been administered in the first place!

Arbitrary AC standard, i think it is something like 48 hours before and up till the post fight drug test considered in competition it was the basis of Diaz defense. Only blood tests that weren't done or much higher levels would show he smoked recent in competition

If he tested dirty during the fight, there would be an issue. If he was on probation for a past drug case there would be an issue. Same shit happens in every sport where money is involved. Lance Armstrong comes to mind.

yup fight camps should be considered in competition

They are fucken dumb for this considering how long training camps go for.

Training camps are 6 weeks right? Therefore, WADA be damned, it's in competition.

Training camps are 6 weeks right? Therefore, WADA be damned, it's in competition.

Lol... some guys have 12 week camps. Some dont stop training for more than a week between fights. Thats my point. Not a specific time. But if its illegal in competition it should just be illegal all together.

Back