Why is 170 such a wrestling heavy division?

NFL and NBA explains why there are no 185ers, 205ers and HWs and also explains why the skill level on those 3 divisions is shit with a lot less murican dominance compared to 155 and 170.

It doesn't explain why there are not that many in 125, 135 and 145 though. I mean Cejudo was champ but that is the best of the best, an olympic champion. At 170 being D1 is enough to dominate. Why aren't they dominating in the lower divisions?
@TheGreenMachine had a good theory for that in this thread

Lawler was actually a decent wrestler back in the day, and his TDD was lights out during his Championship run.

Most divisions have a lot of decent wrestlers. I think it is more a coincidence that it appears that there a more at WW. You could find a lot oder succesful wrestlers both are the higher and lower weight classes. Tho it appears, the lower weight gos the less effective pure wrestling becomes.

170lbs guys are actually 200lbs walking around and probably 190lbs in shape. That’s too small for football and basketball but there are weight classes in wrestling...
Running backs are that size aren't they?

Lower divisions guys are so light and fast on their feet its hard to consistently pin down. Smaller guys have higher strength to weight ratio so they can get out of wrestling positions easier than bigger guys relatively speaking. Even Cejudo who's like the most decorated Olympian to ever fight in MMA doesn't use that much wrestling.

Really big guys the situation is reversed where they have so much power in their hands its just easier to blow somebody's brains out and its often too dangerous to go for the clinch or double leg. Just look at what Yoel does to people when they try to shoot. They're also so big that it costs a ton of energy to get the takedown and if you dont find a finish you might get knocked out in later rounds because youre so gassed. Or you have guys like Derrik Lewis who just decides to "stand up" and punch you in the face.

155-170 is probably a relative sweet spot for wrestling, small enough that people are not just one punch ending you on the entry and just big enough for pinning and grinding out a fight. Wrestling is still probably the most important discipline for someone just transitioning into mma, but as people's wrestling defenses get better I suspect you will see more and more striking heavy champs in all divisions.

WW is just a division with a lot of fighters, so there's a lot of everything in it

Short, Stocky and Explosive is the perfect fit for 170... Anything higher you are fighting guys 6'2+... Which is a better size for striking.. but really... I don't know. Look at 205 and former champs Jones, Cormier, Rashad, Rampage / Hendo, Chuck, Couture and Tito... All background as wrestlers.

Short, Stocky and Explosive is the perfect fit for 170... Anything higher you are fighting guys 6'2+... Which is a better size for striking.. but really... I don't know. Look at 205 and former champs Jones, Cormier, Rashad, Rampage / Hendo, Chuck, Couture and Tito... All background as wrestlers.
This makes the new question: why is 205 so Greco Roman wrestler heavy?

Too big for crazy kicks an acrobatics, too small for one touch kos?

Running backs are that size aren't they?

They're usually a bit bigger in the nfl, supernaturally fast, and there's only 1 starter and maybe 2 backups on each team. There's way more opportunity in the nfl for great athletes that are 240lbs plus., and a much smaller population to choose from.

HW champs: Severn, Coleman, Randleman, Couture, Brock, Cain, ;even Stipe was D1, DC

LHW--Bones, Tito, DC, Rashad, Couture, Chuck was D1

MW--just Weidmn... i guess gsp-

Ww- Hughes, GSP, Marty, T-Wood

LW-Frankie, Khabib (hes a wrestler)

FW-Faber i guess in WEC... otherwise none

Triple C, Dilly, and DJ

Wrestling is king
Ben Henderson and Jens Pulver were college wrestlers. Luke Rockhold, Dominick Cruz, and Sean Sherk were high school wrestlers. Alexander Volkanovski's background is Greco-Roman wrestling.

170 might be the perfect blend of power/conditioning to favor a low risk/grinding style such as wrestling. The elite wrestlers at that weight class can go hard for 25 minutes which is rarely seen in heavier weight classes, so when you factor in the risk of one shot power from a guy like Woodley I think it's most effective to use a high output wrestling style. If 205ers could safely wrestle hard for 25 minutes they probably would (Cormier was close to it at times).

Last edited:
Ben Henderson and Jens Pulver were college wrestlers. Luke Rockhold, Dominick Cruz, and Sean Sherk were high school wrestlers. Alexander Volkanovski's background is Greco-Roman wrestling.

Bendo and Rampage were college wrestlers too

Back