Why is 170 such a wrestling heavy division?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The vast majority of the champs at WW—GSP, Hughes, Usman, Woodley, Hendricks—even Newton and Miletich had wrestling/grappling based styles.

The only champ who was a dominant striker is Robbie Lawler. Why have so many other strikers tried and failed to get WW gold? No other division has such an imbalance in wrestlers vs. strikers.

Most wrestlers played football as well

Athletic guys that size usually went in to wrestling not football or basketball.

This, but also I have noticed in weight classes below 155 it is harder to hold an opponent down. So there are a ton of really good small wrestlers, but feel like they have a harder time holding people down and an easier time getting up.

This, but also I have noticed in weight classes below 155 it is harder to hold an opponent down. So there are a ton of really good small wrestlers, but feel like they have a harder time holding people down and an easier time getting up.

I've noticed that too. DJ on paper is on the same level of wrestling as GSP or Khabib, but when was the last time he was able to dominate and hold opponents down like Khabib?

Edit: I guess he held Kingad down pretty well.

Last edited:
170lbs guys are actually 200lbs walking around and probably 190lbs in shape. That’s too small for football and basketball but there are weight classes in wrestling...

The vast majority of the champs at WW—GSP, Hughes, Usman, Woodley, Hendricks—even Newton and Miletich had wrestling/grappling based styles.

The only champ who was a dominant striker is Robbie Lawler. Why have so many other strikers tried and failed to get WW gold? No other division has such an imbalance in wrestlers vs. strikers.

I do not think there is a "rhyme nor reason" to that division being dominated by wrestlers.

Athletic guys that size usually went in to wrestling not football or basketball.
MWs are bigger and with mostly strikers. Franklin, Anderson, Rockhold, Bisping, Whittaker, Adesanya etc. Weidman and GSP being the wrestlers in recent times (if you can call GSP a "wrestler", considering he's not from a wrestling background).

MWs are bigger and with mostly strikers. Franklin, Anderson, Rockhold, Bisping, Whittaker, Adesanya etc. Weidman and GSP being the wrestlers in recent times (if you can call GSP a "wrestler", considering he's not from a wrestling background).
What is your point? You are countering what I said with something that proves my point. Smaller athletic guys went in to wrestling instead of the sports like football and basketball where size played a massive factor.

No it still happens, just depends on the fighters. The heavier the fighters get the more they tend to rely on size and muscle over movement and scrambles.

What is your point? You are countering what I said with something that proves my point. Smaller athletic guys went in to wrestling instead of the sports like football and basketball where size played a massive factor.
Who said I'm countering anything?

But it was kind of a trick situation anyway. Of those list of MW champs I mentioned (Franklin, Anderson, Rockhold, Bisping, Whittaker, Adesanya, Weidman and GSP), only 3 are American. Franklin, Rockhold and Weidman (33% wrestler rate). Rest of world doesn't play/watch/care about NFL and only select other countries care/watch NBA. Meaning, "elite athletes" (whatever the hell that means) of other countries don't go to NFL and NBA. The top soccer players don't necessarily have the same type of natural abilities as fighters, so I don't think you can say top soccer player X, if he went to MMA, he would be good. Maybe some aspects of discipline and conditioning, but that's about it. Soccer is not a physical sport like MMA/combat sports or NFL/Rugby.

Who said I'm countering anything?

But it was kind of a trick situation anyway. Of those list of MW champs I mentioned (Franklin, Anderson, Rockhold, Bisping, Whittaker, Adesanya, Weidman and GSP), only 3 are American. Franklin, Rockhold and Weidman (33% wrestler rate). Rest of world doesn't play/watch/care about NFL and only select other countries care/watch NBA. Meaning, "elite athletes" (whatever the hell that means) of other countries don't go to NFL and NBA. The top soccer players don't necessarily have the same type of natural abilities as fighters, so I don't think you can say top soccer player X, if he went to MMA, he would be good. Maybe some aspects of discipline and conditioning, but that's about it. Soccer is not a physical sport like MMA/combat sports or NFL/Rugby.
TS asked why there are a lot of wrestlers at 170. I provided an answer. You are just rambling about other countries and sports.

HW champs: Severn, Coleman, Randleman, Couture, Brock, Cain, ;even Stipe was D1, DC

LHW--Bones, Tito, DC, Rashad, Couture, Chuck was D1

MW--just Weidmn... i guess gsp-

Ww- Hughes, GSP, Marty, T-Wood

LW-Frankie, Khabib (hes a wrestler)

FW-Faber i guess in WEC... otherwise none

Triple C, Dilly, and DJ

Wrestling is king

^This. Guys 155 and under start getting more BJJ heavy because smaller guys are more likely to do BJJ since it gives them an advantage with less physical tools. The heavier you go (MW to HW), the more strikers (and ex football players) you get since there's usually less skill or speed involved, but more power.

HW champs: Severn, Coleman, Randleman, Couture, Brock, Cain, ;even Stipe was D1, DC

LHW--Bones, Tito, DC, Rashad, Couture, Chuck was D1

MW--just Weidmn... i guess gsp-

Ww- Hughes, GSP, Marty, T-Wood

LW-Frankie, Khabib (hes a wrestler)

FW-Faber i guess in WEC... otherwise none

Triple C, Dilly, and DJ

Wrestling is king

Every division has strong wrestlers that became champs (other than FW I guess). The difference is that WW had zero strikers other than Robbie.

NFL and NBA explains why there are no 185ers, 205ers and HWs and also explains why the skill level on those 3 divisions is shit with a lot less murican dominance compared to 155 and 170.

It doesn't explain why there are not that many in 125, 135 and 145 though. I mean Cejudo was champ but that is the best of the best, an olympic champion. At 170 being D1 is enough to dominate. Why aren't they dominating in the lower divisions?

NFL and NBA explains why there are no 185ers, 205ers and HWs and also explains why the skill level on those 3 divisions is shit with a lot less murican dominance compared to 155 and 170.

Just imagine an MMA fighter with the build and athleticism of Lebron, it would be glorious

Back