Why I respect Chael Sonnen

Yes, his take on post PED Jon Jones has a certain credibility. Also, Chael told us about Jones’ coke problem before everyone else.

Him drinking out of a coke can after weigh ins was legendary.

Chael trash talked to his to fighting Anderson with double digit losses on his record. He did string together a few good wins in a row at the time but still, he wasn't an exciting fighter. .

Regardless of his trash talk it was very likely he was getting a title shot. At that point Anderson had pretty much cleared the division and aside from rematches or moving up to LHW that was the only matchup that made sense even if Chael didn't hype himself up. He beat Marquadt and Okami and was on a three fight winning streak. Even though he didn't win in crazy fashion he beat the only other guys who were really in title contention.

Chael's hype made it so people actually cared about the fight but he didn't talk his way into a title fight like many people seem to believe

I always did like the way Chael Sonnen took losses. I’ll never forget him roasting Tito Ortiz with classic lines before their Bellator fight where he lost in a bizarre contest.

I don’t know the quote verbatim, but sometime after the fight he said something like “Tito sucks, worst fighter in the division. So after losing I guess this makes me the worst now”. He’s always contended that Tito can’t fight for shit and he didn’t backtrack at all lol.

I always did like the way Chael Sonnen took losses. I’ll never forget him roasting Tito Ortiz with classic lines before their Bellator fight where he lost in a bizarre contest.

I don’t know quote verbatim, but sometime after the fight he said something like “Tito sucks, worst fighter in the division. So after losing I guess this makes me the worst now”. He’s always contended that Tito can’t fight for shit and he’s didn’t backtrack at all lol.
Always weird how he lost decisively to wrestlers like Tito and Rashad. They nullified his game.

I don’t know quote verbatim, but sometime after the fight he said something like “Tito sucks, worst fighter in the division. So after losing I guess this makes me the worst now”. He’s always contended that Tito can’t fight for shit and he’s didn’t backtrack at all lol.

Tito brought that on himself for forcing Chael to apologize after losing. I dont think Chael said that right after the loss. He just accepted defeat until Tito pulled that crap.

If anybody was disrespectful it was Tito.

Regardless of his trash talk it was very likely he was getting a title shot. At that point Anderson had pretty much cleared the division and aside from rematches or moving up to LHW that was the only matchup that made sense even if Chael didn't hype himself up. He beat Marquadt and Okami and was on a three fight winning streak. Even though he didn't win in crazy fashion he beat the only other guys who were really in title contention.

Chael's hype made it so people actually cared about the fight but he didn't talk his way into a title fight like many people seem to believe
Like I said, he had some good wins. Okami, Bisping, Marquardt. Trash talk added a lot to his momentum.

If Chael was a great fighter, his trash talk would have been too arrogant. He's in this weird middle ground where his wit and charisma are able to propel him to greater heights but without the ability to stay there.

Overall I think Shael is a good guy. Eez the good for the show.
when fitch does what sonnen does people find it boring, but Chael convinced everyone he was exciting by talking shit so at least people cared win or loss.

Whenever he's not trolling people, Chael is one of the absolute brightest minds in all of MMA. His podcast is pretty insightful, more so than any other fighter podcast I've ever listened to.

when fitch does what sonnen does people find it boring, but Chael convinced everyone he was exciting by talking shit so at least people cared win or loss.

Fitch purposely fought within himself to edge out a point victory. Chael went balls to the wall every fight, and even though he had a smothering style, he wasn't completely risk averse like Fitch.

Chael knew the game. He talked shit and trolled people but he was always took his losses good. Chael is very intelligent and well spoken. The story about how he promised his late-father a world title was touching, and seeing how bad it hurt him after the loss to Lyoto was hard for me to watch.

I've honestly been trying to not talk about or mention the guy. I'm not gonna lie, my first yellow card that I recieved has got me SHOOK.

3/5 paragraphs are about Conor man lol

Just make a Conor thread if you wanna make a Conor thread

Otherwise give Lord Chael his own thread to shine

Chael knew the game. He talked shit and trolled people but he was always took his losses good. Chael is very intelligent and well spoken. The story about how he promised his late-father a world title was touching, and seeing how bad it hurt him after the loss to Lyoto was hard for me to watch.

Yeah, pretty much this. That choked me up too man.

A disgusting cheater who used his unborn child as an excuse when he didnt yet know the evidence would end up being overwhelming...what a hero lol.

Never made an excuse for losing fights including some very high profile fights against guys he doesnt like.

And, he's never pulled out of a fight.

And, he's never missed weight.

He once took a fight on a month's notice and had to lose 40+ pounds. That's dedication to profesionalism right there.

I like them both, but if you don't think Chael is a carny con artist then I don't know what to tell you.

mtr2aw.jpg

Chael made UFC a little closer to WWE...

..in a good way! No need to take stuff so seriously. His talks always cracked us far more than Conor's.

andersonsilvashoulderchael.gif

I respect Chael for letting shit like this go too but I don't know why you had to bring Conor into it. To Conor's credit he declined to press charges against that guy who sucker punched him either. I'm not a fan of Conor but I don't really see him as I guy who can dish it out but not take it.

You tell me in what universe do you beat up a guy for 23 mins and he wraps his legs around your head for 8 seconds and they declare him the winner?!?!
because he's gonna be unconcious and defenseless, ready to be decapitated and slaughtered if it was in the animal kingdom or another universe

I don't mind if fighters say they were injured, as long as they post proof. It's interesting context and it's factual.

Back