Why I don't Do Crossfit by Erin Simmons

So... let me get this straight... you managed to find a physical therapist who believes that some people are genetically incapable of lifting things overhead? I wonder what percent of the population he/she believes is so poorly put together.

I find it incredibly hilarious that you take "An important variable is that not everyone has the same bone structure and some people's bone curvature is more than others which makes some people more prone to repetitive trauma injury than others"

and get

"you managed to find a physical therapist who believes that some people are genetically incapable of lifting things overhead?"

Were you being sarcastic or are you really that bad at reading?

I find it incredibly hilarious that you take "An important variable is that not everyone has the same bone structure and some people's bone curvature is more than others which makes some people more prone to repetitive trauma injury than others"

and get

"you managed to find a physical therapist who believes that some people are genetically incapable of lifting things overhead?"

Were you being sarcastic or are you really that bad at reading?

I think you missed my point (and missed half the quote, but whatever) which I didn't spell out for the fourth-grade reading-level types. It's that people can still typically train to perform movements even if they have some kind of congenital or injury-related impediment. It's one of the reasons to train, is to overcome issues we'd have if we didn't train to improve our abilities.

I have a missing (torn long ago) transhumeral ligament on my right shoulder and torn labrum (same type of thing, old injury) in my left. I can still overhead press. I just learned and trained to do it safely. I don't go to doctors and therapists to be told not to do things, I go to ones who can get me to where I can do them.

Look around here. You'll find people who say "Doc says I can't ________ (squat, deadlift, press, etc.) because of my _________ ."(knee, back, neck, shoulder, etc.) For every instance of that type of person, there's one here who has overcome an injury or setback and is doing things the first person cannot do. I'd rather be in the second group.

Two knee surgeries, two spine issues, two shoulder issues, and I still competed in a powerlifting meet 11 days ago. And set a PR. I don't have a ton of patience for the "My PT says I can't do this and don't worry, its common." crowd. Sorry.

No... What is hilarious is that you took Shera's post to mean "since certain people are more prone to a certain injury than others, they shouldn't do anything to possibly cause that injury" when Shera didn't write anything of that sort.

And then you make another post doing even more of that.

Thanks for giving me my laughs for the day.

I agree with pretty much everything this chic says about crossfit...but I draw the line at the kettlebell swings. I disagree with her here.

But then I wonder if she's talking about the 'American' swing promoted by crossfit. If that's the case I agree one hundred percent - I've never seen a more stupid, pointless, and possibly injurious modification to a perfectly good exercise.
And it misses the point of the swing. It turns the ballistic/conditioning/power aspect of the swing into simply lifting a weight overhead. I read somewhere that the angle of the American swing can be unhealthy for the spine or body or something.

G

Wait, Crossfit people advocate taking the kettlebell over your head when you do a kettlebell swing?

Holy fucking shit. That is insane.

When I went to physical therapy one of the therapist was showing me how a bone somewhere around the shoulder curves downward while the muscles move upward when doing overhead exercises so that every time you do a lift those muscles are hitting against that bone. An important variable is that not everyone has the same bone structure and some people's bone curvature is more than others which makes some people more prone to repetitive trauma injury than others. I sound like an idiot for just calling it a "curved shoulder bone" but my knowledge of physiology is clearly pretty shitty.

And your physical therapists knowledge of functional anatomy and biomechanics is clearly pretty shitty as well.

If it hits (really have no idea what you are trying to say here) "every time" how can this not be an issue for everyone despite not everyone having the same bone structure? (particularly given that the shoulder is pretty much the same in everyone without some sort of pathology or congenital defect?)

I would say it's a little extreme to say that a type 3 acromion means overhead lifting should be avoided. It means the proper mobility, muscular balance, and technique are even more important. It may also mean that certain variations of the press (neutral grip, push press, etc) might be better for an individual's shoulder health, or that volume needs to be carefully moderated. And then there might be a subset for whom the above doesn't work, and for whom overhead lifting really is contraindicated.

That doesn't mean they can't lift things overhead, however, just that the frequency loads and volumes necessary for strength work are a bad idea. Which I think is an important distinction.

For that matter, how many people actually know what type acromion they have? Not many people, I think. So it's not as if it's really possible to decide whether to overhead press based on that information, anyway. But it is possible to be proactive about shoulder mobility, muscular balance, and actively addressing any little aches and pains, and seeing a doctor of sports medicine if necessary.

Correct.

With a little bit of prudence, most people can overhead press safely. Biggest issue is stupid training, not shoulder dysfunction.

Of course (back to the OP), all of the cultists are publishing shit about the article. One referred to the muscle up as "The holy grail of CF movements" and that it would take "2-3 years to master." Overlooking the fact that a muscle up is what actual athletes (gymnasts) do just to be able to, oh, I don't know, actually do their sport multiple times per day and are expected to learn this as kids, if it takes you three fucking years to do a god damn muscle up please avoid spawning.

No... What is hilarious is that you took Shera's post to mean "since certain people are more prone to a certain injury than others, they shouldn't do anything to possibly cause that injury" when Shera didn't write anything of that sort.

Pretty sure he's just a troll.

Two knee surgeries, two spine issues, two shoulder issues, and I still competed in a powerlifting meet 11 days ago.

Devil's advocate here: how many surgeries, spinal issues and shoulder issues would you have had if you stopped powerlifting after the first one?

I agree with pretty much everything this chic says about crossfit...but I draw the line at the kettlebell swings. I disagree with her here.

But then I wonder if she's talking about the 'American' swing promoted by crossfit. If that's the case I agree one hundred percent - I've never seen a more stupid, pointless, and possibly injurious modification to a perfectly good exercise.
And it misses the point of the swing. It turns the ballistic/conditioning/power aspect of the swing into simply lifting a weight overhead. I read somewhere that the angle of the American swing can be unhealthy for the spine or body or something.

G

You might be right. I forgot about "American" KB swings. Never tried them, no idea if they're bad or not.

Devil's advocate here: how many surgeries, spinal issues and shoulder issues would you have had if you stopped powerlifting after the first one?

None of my injuries are powerlifting related. Squatting to full depth, for example, has helped me gain mobility in my "problem" knee, and evened out strength in my legs so I don't walk with a limp anymore.

Likewise. Nice posts. Do you even lift, bro?

Pretty sure he's just a troll.

I know you don't. Mr "deadlift from the balls of your feet with your shoulders pulled back". Hilarious.

Crossfit reminds me of the montage in Rocky IV where instead of training boxing he is training in the mountains and just lifting logs and running in snow and chopping wood. Doing those sick barn chin ups.

Last edited:
Of course (back to the OP), all of the cultists are publishing shit about the article. One referred to the muscle up as "The holy grail of CF movements" and that it would take "2-3 years to master." Overlooking the fact that a muscle up is what actual athletes (gymnasts) do just to be able to, oh, I don't know, actually do their sport multiple times per day and are expected to learn this as kids, if it takes you three fucking years to do a god damn muscle up please avoid spawning.

I did a muscle up in under 3 tries when I was 15... just needed to get the false grip right.

Who the fuck thinks it takes 2-3 years!?

I did a muscle up in under 3 tries when I was 15... just needed to get the false grip right.

Who the fuck thinks it takes 2-3 years!?

The truly "eleeeet" brah!!!!

Or is it bro? Fuck it, I am old and cannot figure that shit out.

You know you found a retard when the only counter they have is "Do you even lift, bro?"

lol you know you've exposed a poser when he not only doesn't get the tongue-in-cheek nature of that expression, but cannot answer the question. Thanks for the laugh.

lol you know you've exposed a poser when he not only doesn't get the tongue-in-cheek nature of that expression, but cannot answer the question. Thanks for the laugh.

You know you found a retard when he himself doesn't imagine the possibility that the other fellow knows the tongue-in-cheek nature of the expression in question and intentionally responds in an inflammatory manner, otherwise known as trolling, to rile him up.

=)

Back