Why I don't Do Crossfit by Erin Simmons

Corssfit and Google are the only two business entities that I can think of that are both used as a noun and a verb.

Studied a few of these in a marketing class. Off the top of my head, Fed Ex is another. "I'll Fed Ex it over". Another great way of branding is when your product is referred to by it's brand name rather than what it is. For example - Kleenex. "Pass me a Kleenex" is used far more than "pass me a facial tissue". Scotch tape is another example as it's really "invisible tape". If you can successfully brand like that, then you have a goldmine.

Written by a PERSON who says in the article that she doesn't do deadlifts because the risk to reward isn't worth it.......

Whether you agree with this or not, I thought the article came off as just as elitist as crossfit is and was full of misinformed opinions lumping together 10,000+ gyms based on experiences with 2

Is this better? The point was not deadlifting ever...

how do you feel about fitness articles written by guys who have never deadlifted?
(to play devil's advocate for GordoBaraBJJ)

I don't know why you feel that is so relevant. You don't have to deadlift to be a good athlete. You don't have to deadlift to be strong. You certainly don't have to deadlift to develop strength in sport-specific movement patterns for most sports.

She's a much better athlete and much more experience athlete than many. So I'd value her opinion, regardless of if she has deadlifted or not.

And regarding deadlifting: I can think of many, many, high-level S+C coaches who program O-lifts, but never program deadlifts. There is a reason for this.

Is this better? The point was not deadlifting ever...

See below. Your argument is more or less irrelevant.

I don't know why you feel that is so relevant. You don't have to deadlift to be a good athlete. You don't have to deadlift to be strong. You certainly don't have to deadlift to develop strength in sport-specific movement patterns for most sports.

She's a much better athlete and much more experience athlete than many. So I'd value her opinion, regardless of if she has deadlifted or not.

And regarding deadlifting: I can think of many, many, high-level S+C coaches who program O-lifts, but never program deadlifts. There is a reason for this.

I wish I would have thought of just taking circuit training and put a fancy name on it.

I wish I would have thought of just taking circuit training and put a fancy name on it.

Yea but you never would have thought of incorporating AMRAP, time-based, low-benefit, high risk exercises.

Yea but you never would have thought of incorporating AMRAP, time-based, low-benefit, high risk exercises.

Like this genius move?

crossfit.gif

On a related note: Bill Starr on building the deadlift without deadlifting:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/bill-starr-deadlifts-variety-specificty-1201740/

Unfortunately the second image of the article no longer works but still gives you an idea that you can strengthen all of the muscles involved with hip extension without deadlifting.

There is nothing wrong with heavy overhead lifting, assuming it is done correctly.

The way most cultists do it, however, involves plenty of wrong.

When I went to physical therapy one of the therapist was showing me how a bone somewhere around the shoulder curves downward while the muscles move upward when doing overhead exercises so that every time you do a lift those muscles are hitting against that bone. An important variable is that not everyone has the same bone structure and some people's bone curvature is more than others which makes some people more prone to repetitive trauma injury than others. I sound like an idiot for just calling it a "curved shoulder bone" but my knowledge of physiology is clearly pretty shitty.

When I went to physical therapy one of the therapist was showing me how a bone somewhere around the shoulder curves downward while the muscles move upward when doing overhead exercises so that every time you do a lift those muscles are hitting against that bone. An important variable is that not everyone has the same bone structure and some people's bone curvature is more than others which makes some people more prone to repetitive trauma injury than others. I sound like an idiot for just calling it a "curved shoulder bone" but my knowledge of physiology is clearly pretty shitty.

So... let me get this straight... you managed to find a physical therapist who believes that some people are genetically incapable of lifting things overhead? I wonder what percent of the population he/she believes is so poorly put together.

I think the biggest issues are that they have beginners start doing lifts where it can be easy to get injured if you use bad form without adequate instruction and having them work their way up... Great way to throw out your back or hurt yourself in some other way. Also, they push one particular workout/WOD onto everyone regardless of their fitness level... it might not be the right workout for some people.

The other problem I see is that they expanded to so many gyms so fast that there are not enough good instructors. Taking their weekend seminars is not enough for someone to become a good instructor right away and having someone that doesn't really know what they are doing training people, especially beginners can lead to injuries.

Also, I'm not a big fan of programs that imply that their's is the only right way to workout, whether it's crossfit, p90x, stronglifts or any of the other hundreds of programs out there... There are a lot of good workouts out there and everyones body and goals are different so to me it seems counter-productive for there to be only one possible way to workout.

So... let me get this straight... you managed to find a physical therapist who believes that some people are genetically incapable of lifting things overhead? I wonder what percent of the population he/she believes is so poorly put together.

It's called a type 3 acromion.

I don't know why you feel that is so relevant.

ok... well... the original comment i was replying to said :
"I don't read fitness articles by chicks who have never deadlifted."
i asked him how he felt about articles written by guys who have never deadlifted.
and from this you conclude that i think deadlifting is important.

so, original commenter says deadlifts are necessary for women who write about fitness. i ask if his requirement also holds for men who write about fitness. you conclude i think deadlifts are necessary for anyone writing about fitness.

your reading comprehension sucks.

You don't have to deadlift to be a good athlete. You don't have to deadlift to be strong. You certainly don't have to deadlift to develop strength in sport-specific movement patterns for most sports.

I've never posted anything that disagreed with any of this. maybe you should actually reply to the person that you disagree with next time. (that'd be AtlSteel, the person i replied to in the comment you quoted).

Studied a few of these in a marketing class. Off the top of my head, Fed Ex is another. "I'll Fed Ex it over". Another great way of branding is when your product is referred to by it's brand name rather than what it is. For example - Kleenex. "Pass me a Kleenex" is used far more than "pass me a facial tissue". Scotch tape is another example as it's really "invisible tape". If you can successfully brand like that, then you have a goldmine.

from what i understand, this situation carries some significant negatives as well. The problem most companies have with becoming so pervasive that people start using their name in place of the generic term for their product category is that such common usage makes their trademark on their name unenforceable.

Loss of trademark through genericisation has happened to aspirin (formerly a bayer trademark) and linoleum, for example.

So, while it speaks of how much you dominate the market, it can be bad for branding as you lose control of the brand.

I would say it's a little extreme to say that a type 3 acromion means overhead lifting should be avoided. It means the proper mobility, muscular balance, and technique are even more important. It may also mean that certain variations of the press (neutral grip, push press, etc) might be better for an individual's shoulder health, or that volume needs to be carefully moderated. And then there might be a subset for whom the above doesn't work, and for whom overhead lifting really is contraindicated.

That doesn't mean they can't lift things overhead, however, just that the frequency loads and volumes necessary for strength work are a bad idea. Which I think is an important distinction.

For that matter, how many people actually know what type acromion they have? Not many people, I think. So it's not as if it's really possible to decide whether to overhead press based on that information, anyway. But it is possible to be proactive about shoulder mobility, muscular balance, and actively addressing any little aches and pains, and seeing a doctor of sports medicine if necessary.

ok... well... the original comment i was replying to said :
"I don't read fitness articles by chicks who have never deadlifted."
i asked him how he felt about articles written by guys who have never deadlifted.
and from this you conclude that i think deadlifting is important.

so, original commenter says deadlifts are necessary for women who write about fitness. i ask if his requirement also holds for men who write about fitness. you conclude i think deadlifts are necessary for anyone writing about fitness.

your reading comprehension sucks.

I've never posted anything that disagreed with any of this. maybe you should actually reply to the person that you disagree with next time. (that'd be AtlSteel, the person i replied to in the comment you quoted).
That's gotta be a little frustrating.

Back