Why I don't Do Crossfit by Erin Simmons

That goes to show you how easily people are fooled I guess. A middle aged chubby guy, who looks like he's never seen the inside of a gym tries to sell you a fitness program for exorbitant monthly fees. You'd think even beginners have enough common sense to smell something's wrong.

Looks can be deceiving. Louie Simmons and Rippetoe don't look like much from a picture but I would trust them over a douche like the six pack shortcuts guy.

Terrible analogy. You can go to a crossfit gym and not do their way of crossfit. I.E., not deadlift, overhead squat, kettlebell swings and kipping pullups 30x as fast as you can while also incorporating other fatiguing workouts leading to poor form and higher risk of injury.

Like I said, you can go to the "Bleach Coolers" kiosk and order a lemonade without bleach, but the original idea is still terrible. Maybe you don't know what an analogy is, the same way you don't know what proper deadlift form is. Go ahead, keep trying to go back and forth with me, see where it gets you. At least you may learn something.

Like I said, you can go to the "Bleach Coolers" kiosk and order a lemonade without bleach, but the original idea is still terrible. Maybe you don't know what an analogy is, the same way you don't know what proper deadlift form is. Go ahead, keep trying to go back and forth with me, see where it gets you. At least you may learn something.

Oh I know what a analogy is, yours is/was just terrible. Hunch those shoulders!

I give you two weeks. Good luck!

rat101311.jpg

Written by a girl who says in the article that she doesn't do deadlifts because the risk to reward isn't worth it.......

Whether you agree with this or not, I thought the article came off as just as elitist as crossfit is and was full of misinformed opinions lumping together 10,000+ gyms based on experiences with 2

What does her being female have to do with anything?

Should he have typed "Written by a guy..."

That's the first point he makes; gender has nothing to do with it.

he talks about faulty logic on her part and begins his argument with a big old fallacy (ad hominem)

he talks about faulty logic on her part and begins his argument with a big old fallacy (ad hominem)

I think you're looking for something that isn't there...

I don't read fitness articles by chicks who have never deadlifted.

i didn't read it that way. I can see by the arguably poor sentence structure how you got to that conclusion, but i just read it similarly to someone saying "i was talking to this guy and he said...". (the mention of gender being about setting up the basis for the pronouns used later)

I don't read fitness articles by chicks who have never deadlifted.

how do you feel about fitness articles written by guys who have never deadlifted?
(to play devil's advocate for GordoBaraBJJ)

Terrible analogy. You can go to a crossfit gym and not do their way of crossfit. I.E., not deadlift, overhead squat, kettlebell swings and kipping pullups 30x as fast as you can while also incorporating other fatiguing workouts leading to poor form and higher risk of injury.

I don't think his analogy was particularly terrible, but leaving that aside...

crossfit is a brand. if you aren't doing their way of crossfit, you aren't doing crossfit.

You can go to any gym and do proper deadlifts, overhead squats, kettlebell swings, and kipping pullups for a reasonable number of reps at a reasonable pace. You aren't doing crossfit if you do this. You're just weight lifting; like people did for years in gyms before anyone came up with the name crossfit.

The bad things they do is the part that differentiates crossfit from just weight lifting.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what i've gathered from my casual observation of crossfit.

I don't think his analogy was particularly terrible, but leaving that aside...

crossfit is a brand. if you aren't doing their way of crossfit, you aren't doing crossfit.

You can go to any gym and do proper deadlifts, overhead squats, kettlebell swings, and kipping pullups for a reasonable number of reps at a reasonable pace. You aren't doing crossfit if you do this. You're just weight lifting; like people did for years in gyms before anyone came up with the name crossfit.

The bad things they do is the part that differentiates crossfit from just weight lifting.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what i've gathered from my casual observation of crossfit.

No no, what you are saying is sound. What I am saying is you can be apart of a crossfit gym and not do the retarded WODs (there are plenty) that incorporate the exercises I listed above. There are decent WODs that test you in a lot of areas that are fine on their own, that don't incorporate retarded amounts of reps in oly lifts, don't have dumb handstand pushups, kipping pullups etc and will test you with minimal risk of injury.

All in all, crossfit is a complete waste and unless you just have money to burn and are lonely, there is really no need to be apart of a crossfit gym. I got conned into it over 3 years ago by a friend/coworker who was a trainer (she was also hot, horny, price discount and dat ass) at the time and figured I could use some "competitive" time based cardio, boy was I wrong. Never got hurt but I never did the 30x4 deadlift WODs :)

I think a lot of people use Crossfit andf HIIT interchangeably not realizing that Crossfit is a brand more than a type of workout.

Dat marketing. Say what you want about Crossfit (not a fan myself), but they've done a hell of a job from the business end. When you have your brand name being used as a verb, you've got something.

Corssfit and Google are the only two business entities that I can think of that are both used as a noun and a verb.

Back