Why I don't Do Crossfit by Erin Simmons

I agree. Cross fit largely ignores technical instruction, it's a great way to get hurt. I like the philosophy of short, intense periodized workouts but you need to do it safely.

You're preaching to the choir, except for a couple random posters that will appear to defend CF.

inb4:

- You've never tried it so you can't comment
- It gets people exercising so it's not that bad
- The women are hot so it's not bad
- You can't do what the best CF'ers can do so you can't comment

You're preaching to the choir, except for a couple random posters that will appear to defend CF.

inb4:

- You've never tried it so you can't comment
- It gets people exercising so it's not that bad
- The women are hot so it's not bad
- You can't do what the best CF'ers can do so you can't comment

no doubt - I follow Erin on facebook and this article popped up yesterday - read through it and thought I'd share.

There are bad gyms, and there are good gyms. I do CrossFit on a regular basis...before signing up, I did a great deal of research and was aware of the potential of injury and worst case scenarios.

The most common reoccuring criticism of CrossFit I came across was the multiple reps you do with weights.. When you do many reps under fatigue, you compromise your form, when you compromise your form you are more prone to injury.

Thankfully, the gym (box) I go to doesn't value reps, and/or AMRAPS over technique and form. If our form sucks ass, we are immediately instructed to drop weight.

If we do something incorrectly it doesn't qualify as a rep or movement.

I was going to write an article titled "Why I wipe my ass standing up" in response to this article but then I googled Erin and she a hawtie. All hawties get a free pass.

There are several Crossfit gyms operating that do not follow the philosophy of Crossfit. She is dead on in her responses that say you can be at a Crossfit gym without "doing Crossfit".

There are several Crossfit gyms operating that do not follow the philosophy of Crossfit. She is dead on in her responses that say you can be at a Crossfit gym without "doing Crossfit".

Agreed

There are many wonderful things about Crossfit, but the original guiding "philosophies" by Greg Glassman are just... awful.

The whole thing is like a palace built on a foundation of literal shit.

Just wondering - the best CFers don't really follow the WoD do they - or at least supplement it.

The elite crossfitters don't do WODs to get better at crossfit. They do legitimate strength and conditioning training, and they do specific skills training such as kipping pull ups, rope climbing, gymnastics, etc. They usually only use the WODs to test themselves.

Watch Rich Froning A Day in the Life. He barely ever does anything crossfitty, and the's the best in the world. It's kind of a sign of how useless crossfit is when the elite crossfitters use other forms of training to become elite.

Having had shoulder surgery I cringe everytime I see someone do heavy overhead lifts and crossfit makes me cringe constantly.

The elite crossfitters don't do WODs to get better at crossfit. They do legitimate strength and conditioning training, and they do specific skills training such as kipping pull ups, rope climbing, gymnastics, etc. They usually only use the WODs to test themselves.

Watch Rich Froning A Day in the Life. He barely ever does anything crossfitty, and the's the best in the world. It's kind of a sign of how useless crossfit is when the elite crossfitters use other forms of training to become elite.

i figured that - not sure if i read about it or saw a clip but I could not be sure about it. Thanx for the clarification.

I was going to write an article titled "Why I wipe my ass standing up" in response to this article but then I googled Erin and she a hawtie. All hawties get a free pass.

I wipe mine standi8ng up too. MOstkly because I think if I sit down wiping from back to front will smear crap on my ballsack. and front to backwhile sitting is ghey.

Standing is the only way to get a proper wipe of the anus.

Sometimes I'll push the toilet paper in a little bit and let my sphincter closer up on it then pull it out for a good deep clean.

I don't get the "well, you can go to a crossfit gym and not do crossfit" or "yeah the ideas behind crossfit are terrible but hardly anyone at my crossfit gym follows them" arguments.

I mean, if I open a chain of kiosks in mall food courts called "Bleach Coolers!" and have kids there making various beverages with bleach as the main ingredient, what does it matter if I say "well you can get beverages without bleach there" or "yeah it's a terrible idea but most people at this kiosk don't follow the original recipe."

It's still just a terrible concept, and terrible in practice. The argument that doing something else is better for you is what every crossfit critic has been saying all along. Crossfitters need not make that same point themselves. Funny that they do.

not sure if anyone saw this but thought I'd share.

a few exerts full article here with responses:

http://erinsimmonsfitness.me/2014/04/17/why-i-dont-do-crossfit/

Heh preaching to the choir here but after doing crossfit (some of the WODs are decent, most aren't) the WODs that were the most ridiculous were the ones where you run 800m, do wall ball squats or burpees or whatever, "kipping" pullups/box jumps then deadlift about 30x... doing all of this 4 times as fast as you can. Shit was so fucking retarded. I always saw the regulars there injured with something.

Great article though, but yeah, most here are well aware of Crapfit.

The two CF gyms that I have been are open during the day and you can come squat, Bench and DL your hearts content. Odd objects and that stuff as long you put it all back when you're done.

Having had shoulder surgery I cringe everytime I see someone do heavy overhead lifts and crossfit makes me cringe constantly.

There is nothing wrong with heavy overhead lifting, assuming it is done correctly.

The way most cultists do it, however, involves plenty of wrong.

Back