Why haven't the media been terrorizing Jose Aldo to learn english as well?

Time spent learning English is time away from training, so pretty much not a wise choice.
Let's be honest, they subtitle even British fighters and they speak English.:icon_chee

Most educated Brazilians know English. If they went to school, they probably do too.

from an entertainment perspective, aldo is a huge bust. ufc brass had very high hopes for aldo to become mainstream but it just never happened. they just let him do his thing now.....

Aldo has the aura of not giving a damn, i think even Dana realizes that no point to try. :D

If you need to understand the fighter saying thank you to god, the fans and his sponsors, you don't get it and you never will. This is why martial arts will forever be linked to the East. Stupid American/Western fans. As if the 50,000 spectators gathered at the Tokyo Dome for a Pride event would watch a guy spill his guts then boo at his lack of Japanese in the post fight. Pathetic.

The mainstream doesn't care too much about the smaller weights......their loss

Most educated Brazilians know English. If they went to school, they probably do too.

Unfortunately that is not true. Even in Rio, which is the focal point of the tourism in Brazil, I struggle to find people that understand english.

They aren't champions that need tremendous drawing power.

Isn't that the promoter's job?

The UFC should find a way to promote its fighters to draw PPVs and media, instead of putting this burden on their backs.

I can understand lots of business decisions they make which I don't like, but not the way DFW sometimes bash his own guys.

Near-sighted/short term way of thinking. It may have help with some things in the past, but not anymore.

Big difference between public and private schools, specially for people who grew up in real poor areas.
I went to a private school and learned some basic english there, but most of my english came from studying at language schools and living in the US for a little while.
In some cities public schools teach basic english and there are even some good public language schools (at least in my city there are), but that isn't the case everywhere.

If you need to understand the fighter saying thank you to god, the fans and his sponsors, you don't get it and you never will. This is why martial arts will forever be linked to the East. Stupid American/Western fans. As if the 50,000 spectators gathered at the Tokyo Dome for a Pride event would watch a guy spill his guts then boo at his lack of Japanese in the post fight. Pathetic.

Martial Arts will forever be linked to the east because of Mr. Miyagi and Bruce Lee.

Do you guys really believe that aldo or barao saying things like "i back. is normal", "lyoto very movey, very fast vroom vroom" ou "i want to fuck chuck" will make them bigger draws?

Who gives a shit? I thought you guys like watching fights. Who gives a crap about what he says to promote fights?

Back