Why have I never used slow cookers until yesterday?

Even the really good slow cookers struggle with gentle simmering, and if you plan on searing and building up a fond, you're going to have to use another pot anyways.

Ditch the gimmick and get a tool meant for the job, and spend the extra few minutes it takes to do it right.
Well now I feel bad... Fuck you food snob! I'm going to make a soggy beef stew in my amateur crock pot...

Get a rack of ribs, remove the membrane, dry rub it, slow cook for 8 hours. Pour in BBQ sauce about 30 minutes before they're done.

Best. ribs. ever.

What do you mean by dry rub it? Im not much of a chef. Ill be trying this though

I used to be a big slow cooker proponent but I've been using it less since I've discovered the miracle of cast iron dutch ovens. For things like pot roasts where browning is key, I've gotten much better results out of a dutch oven than the slow cooker. Yeah you can sear/brown the meet before putting it in the slow cooker, but the browning effect continues in a dutch oven to an appreciable degree while it cooks in the oven.

Where browning isn't really needed, then the slow cooker is great. I'm thinking shredded taco chicken, throw it in there with some onions, peppers, spices, an anchovy (important!) and a little beer and you've got something delicious. Does great for soups too.

Is there a specific brand i can buy or do I need to make it myself?
You can do both.

They sell seasoning packets like this for about a dollar.

91SoDKPCwRL._SX522AA522_PIbundle-10,TopRight,0,0_AA522_SH20_.jpg

Bottles like this for a few dollars

61F+WMP6+WL._SR500,500_.jpg

Or you can make your own

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229329/bbq-spice-rub/

It's just a seasoning mix.

My cat would probably set fire to the house tbh

@JoeyJoeJoeJr I regularly recommend the YouTube channel Food Wishes to people who are beginning to cook. Chef John does a fantastic job of teaching tricks and techniques that you wouldn't get without professional instruction. He keeps the camera on the food so you can see what's going on and how it should look.

@JoeyJoeJoeJr I regularly recommend the YouTube channel Food Wishes to people who are beginning to cook. Chef John does a fantastic job of teaching tricks and techniques that you wouldn't get without professional instruction. He keeps the camera on the food so you can see what's going on and how it should look.
wk96jfmvqijz.jpg

I love Binging with Babish. Until he cooked fried rice. He got ripped to shreds by the asian community for the dishonorable attempt.

wk96jfmvqijz.jpg

I love Binging with Babish. Until he cooked fried rice. He got ripped to shreds by the asian community for the dishonorable attempt.

Now that is a regulation sized freakishly small spoon.

I make some pretty good meatballs and pulled chicken in the slow cooker. I definitely approve.

HEY MOTHERFUCKERS THIS ISN'T A FLAME THREAD THIS IS A SLOWCOOKER THREAD

051133043-01-slow-cooker-short-ribs-recipe-main.jpg

IMG_9309edit.jpg

Slow-Cooker-Carnitas-Cover.jpg

The internet wouldnt be the same if atleast 1 hipster douche contrarian didn't feel a burning need to pipe up in every discussion.

You've never used a slow cooker before?!
Easy way to make tomorrow's dinner overnight.

Venison roasts, mmmm

Get a rack of ribs, remove the membrane, dry rub it, slow cook for 8 hours. Pour in BBQ sauce about 30 minutes before they're done.

Best. ribs. ever.

So I did it yesterday. I forgot to remove the membrane though. 10 hour slow cooked ribs with the keg chicken and rib sauce. Delicious

Back