Why have I never used slow cookers until yesterday?

I will probably never try a slow cooker. It just doesn't seem like it would make tasty food. I like things roasted or fried, no other way of cooking appeals to me. I can't stand boiled meat or stews and isn't that what a slow cooker is essentially doing?

I will probably never try a slow cooker. It just doesn't seem like it would make tasty food. I like things roasted or fried, no other way of cooking appeals to me. I can't stand boiled meat or stews and isn't that what a slow cooker is essentially doing?

Look at it as braising. I always brown the meat in a pan first.

I would recommend throwing lamb in there. It’s personally my favourite tasting meat and a shank is fantastic when it’s slow cooked.

But like people have said, you can basically put anything that is a “tough” cut of meat in there.

No. But it's not like fried or roasted either. It's braising.

actually that is a sign you have never learned to cook. Sorry. But for those who can cook properly none of what you say happens.

Aren't slow cookers for people who are too lazy to cook?

The fact that you linked two videos to support your argument that didn't feature the tool we're discussing in this thread says all that we need to know about your argument.

I'm willing to drop the absolutism and concede that you can cook enjoyable meals using a slow cooker, but you will get better results using other methods, such as the ones featured in the videos you linked.
I'm fine with that position too. The convenience geared devices are not going to be the exact same as the other methods but an experienced cook can almost certainly compensate for that.

Its like all pots are not made equal.

I have cheap pots and then I have my Le Creuset

81lqCI-vV7L._SX425_.jpg

I will use the Creuset for many things including slow cooking at times but have no issue using my slow cooker.

I would never say cooking in a pot is not cooking just because some methods are not as good as others (cheap pot versus a pot like Creuset).

Aren't slow cookers for people who are too lazy to cook?
lol. Slow cooking is cooking.

But slow cooking is for people who do not have the time to wait around while something cooks. It is also to make tougher cuts of meat taste like far more expensive. There are also many meats that are best slow cooked (ribs , beef and pork, etc).

Pressure cooking is more for people lazy (or better yet time constrained) and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone enjoys spending hours and hours in the kitchen. I love my pressure cooker too.

I'm fine with that position too. The convenience geared devices are not going to be the exact same as the other methods but an experienced cook can almost certainly compensate for that.

Its like all pots are not made equal.

I have cheap pots and then I have my Le Creuset

81lqCI-vV7L._SX425_.jpg

I will use the Creuset for many things including slow cooking at times but have no issue using my slow cooker.

I would never say cooking in a pot is not cooking just because some methods are not as good as others (cheap pot versus a pot like Creuset).

I have the same pot in green.

Sous vide for meat. If you're looking for grilled meat style. Sous vide the beef or pork or chicken then go outside and blowtorch it to sear it very quickly.

Slow cookers are the shizz! My wife just started ours that we got and it's delicious.

lol. Slow cooking is cooking.

But slow cooking is for people who do not have the time to wait around while something cooks. It is also to make tougher cuts of meat taste like far more expensive. There are also many meats that are best slow cooked (ribs , beef and pork, etc).

Pressure cooking is more for people lazy (or better yet time constrained) and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone enjoys spending hours and hours in the kitchen. I love my pressure cooker too.

Lol at ribs or steak being best in a slow cooker. Have you never grilled before?

Sous vide for meat. If you're looking for grilled meat style. Sous vide the beef or pork or chicken then go outside and blowtorch it to sear it very quickly.
ya, its all the rage and I have not tried that technique yet. Guess I got to get on it.

Wait till you get a load of Instant Pot. Then it's on to Air Fryers and Sous Vide....

tumblr-om5vtgx7-Vx1v3wutio7-500.gif

LOL
Sure, let me spend 3 hours cooking a steak that usually takes 3 minutes. I can see it for chicken, but the things people use those things on makes me cringe. A good rib eye NEVER belongs in a pot of water. I don't care if it is in a bag.
And no matter what people say, searing after cooking in water is NOT that same as cooking over coals.

Lol at ribs or steak being best in a slow cooker. Have you never grilled before?
I live off my grill and would not cook a steak in a slow cooker. My steaks are blue rare seared at super high heat. I am going to melt my Weber one day as I get it up to where the iron cooking surface is red hot and the heat gauge no longer registers, lol.

For Beef and Pork ribs, ideally I would love a good smoker and to slow cook them that way but I am a condo dweller and we can only have gas grills on our patios. And while I can cook a mean pork or Beef rib even on a gas grill it is not ideal. Very time intensive and even with indirect heat you must watch for flair ups.

Cooking either first in the slow or pressure cooker then finishing them on the gas grill at very high is my best option and you get a great finished product that way.

I live off my grill and would not cook a steak in a slow cooker. My steaks are blue rare seared at super high heat. I am going to melt my Weber one day as I get it up to where the iron cooking surface is red hot and the heat gauge no longer registers, lol.

For Beef and Pork ribs, ideally I would love a good smoker and to slow cook them that way but I am a condo dweller and we can only have gas grills on our patios. And while I can cook a mean pork or Beef rib even on a gas grill it is not ideal. Very time intensive and even with indirect heat you must watch for flair ups.

Cooking either first in the slow or pressure cooker then finishing them on the gas grill at very high is my best option and you get a great finished product that way.

I'm looking into a smoker as well. Right now I use a charcoal grill and it's the best way to cook ribs by far. Yes, more time intensive. Hence my "slow cookers are for people too lazy to cook" comment.

I'm looking into a smoker as well. Right now I use a charcoal grill and it's the best way to cook ribs by far. Yes, more time intensive. Hence my "slow cookers are for people too lazy to cook" comment.

Ya i call myself a foodie snob who is not a snob at all. I love great food and will pay for it and try to make it. But I also like some real street level, minimal prep and no fancy method cooking. Bare bones and minimalistic. I can also like some really greasy spoon, I might not eat it if I read whats in it, type of stuff on occasion.

For me I think you miss out if you get too snobby with regards to food. Yes there is always a penultimate way to do something. Perfect tools, perfect circumstances and the perfect amount of time. But there are many ways to still get very good and sometimes great food in non perfect, non optimal circumstances. I've been put in that spot many times and ended up cooking something that everyone who ate thought was amazing even though i did not have the tools nor all the ingredients I would have desired.

----

I wish I could have a Charcoal BBq and Smoker. :oops: But at least in Alberta I can have a gas grill on my condo patio. In Toronto you cannot even have a gas grill. :oops::oops::oops:

Back