Why hasn’t anyone stood up to the UFC and its business

Viacom couldn’t do it , trump tag teaming with a T-shirt company couldn’t do it. There is a graveyard of failed mma promotions. History says anybody getting into the mma promotion business is going to burn money if they try to aggressively expand.

81qy%2BMXuxDL._AC_SL1392_.jpg

I blame the fighters that keep coming to the UFC. It's an attractive gamble, if you hit jackpot: cool, you made it. If you don't: you just signed your life away including your likeness and image and name for the stupidass video game. Also, you sign a contract for $10 bucks, you don't perform well, the UFC can renegotiate the contract to $2 a fight. Don't like it? They tell you to GTFO. Dana White goes on record saying you're a coward that don't wanna fight because you refuse to do it for 40 cents. If they know you want out? They'll hold your career hostage by refusing to give you fights until your contract expires. LMFAO!!! You got to be one stupid mfers to sign with the UFC at this point. Stay with Rizin... Help them grow. Give the UFC some competition. Stay with Bellator. Eventually those promotions will have just as good fighters as the UFC if they don't already. UFC always claimed they had the best but they really don't. Not until recently. But the game constantly evolves. If they stay with their orgs they will eventually be as good as the UFC. They just won't have the bullshit ass branding. But if all you care about is $$$ then come sell your soul in to the UFC and most likely get treated like shit.

And why the fuck would anybody with any honor and self respect and who wants to be the best wanna come to the UFC where you only get title shots based on how much you sell??? Look at careers permanently ruined like Ferguson, Souza, Fitch, and many more who were on insane streaks but didn't get a title shot or got skipped for a big mouthed clown who doesn't even have a single win but can sell more? Look at how many careers were ruined or derailed because of guys like Bisping, McGregor and tho different case, Sterling holding the division hostage. Fuck that. It's not even about being the best.

If there are pay laws for everyone they'd have to pay scrubs as well. Replacing top guys wouldn't matter, as a certain percentage of revenue would go to fighters anyway. That is the only way to change it. For it to happen they can't just settle with this anti-trust suit. They'd have to go for results. Again and again. Together.

For me personally I would try to arrange a CBA myself. Come to a deal for some percentage and a time how long it's valid. Help to form a association. Then all these anti-trust and constant negativity useless headaches would pass. Then the roster would stay active and didn't try to fish stupid celeb boxing paydays. It's also responsible.

As i've said in a previous post, every other promotion is losing money out their ass, its extremely difficult for a new promotion to enter the market AND be successful, the long list of dead promotions from the past is just further proof of that.
If you are not UFC it is simply an extremely unstable marketplace and unless you have billions to spend on a stacked roster and a lucrative tv deal you will not last long.
WFA, EliteXc, affliction, and strike force, not to forget Pride as well. All gone. The thing is, the ufc is very good at making a profit and continue to snowball that profit. I don’t think any other mma promotion has ever made money like the ufc makes money, even when start ups like affliction who tried paying the fighters good money to poach them, how long can that be sustainable? The company itself has to make money in order to expand and sign new talent. I don’t think companies like triller are going to be around in the next year or two. UFC has been very good at being profitable.

They pay substantially more than Bellator to all but a very small amount of fighters who are still very good but wouldnt touch UFC gold or are very good but boring.

The entry level guys make much more, and so do mid level and the champs in the UFC. It also isnt particularly close. GSP said he made 10 million against Bisping, literally no one in Bellator, ONE, or Rizin has made ten mil, probably not in their whole career there.

Yes I do think the revenue split is still too low for the fighters but pay has continued to go up across the board and will continue to do so. Just a shame about the death of individual sponsors.

You don't see him having to nudge and threaten the UFC into letting him box as a cry for pay?

I love that it's Bjorn of all people. Pot meet kettle.

Which part of the Ali Act worries you?

Don King described the mindset of a promoter perfectly: ""My philosophy is that all fighters are two-dollar whores. Never fall in love with your fighter. My rule is to fuck the fighter before the fighter can fuck you. Never let the fighter become bigger than the promoter." "
People fail to see that it's a systemic problem in combat sports, not an individual one. It's just an industry more prone to abuse of employees than most.

Bjorn was a much better promoter than Coker is. He held more events, got better ratings and created home grown talent including a few stars.

Coker does Kimbo vs. Dada and chases UFC cast offs desperately.

I blame the fighters that keep coming to the UFC. It's an attractive gamble, if you hit jackpot: cool, you made it. If you don't: you just signed your life away including your likeness and image and name for the stupidass video game. Also, you sign a contract for $10 bucks, you don't perform well, the UFC can renegotiate the contract to $2 a fight. Don't like it? They tell you to GTFO. Dana White goes on record saying you're a coward that don't wanna fight because you refuse to do it for 40 cents. If they know you want out? They'll hold your career hostage by refusing to give you fights until your contract expires. LMFAO!!! You got to be one stupid mfers to sign with the UFC at this point. Stay with Rizin... Help them grow. Give the UFC some competition. Stay with Bellator. Eventually those promotions will have just as good fighters as the UFC if they don't already. UFC always claimed they had the best but they really don't. Not until recently. But the game constantly evolves. If they stay with their orgs they will eventually be as good as the UFC. They just won't have the bullshit ass branding. But if all you care about is $$$ then come sell your soul in to the UFC and most likely get treated like shit.

On average fighters make less money in other organisations. When they're signing for the UFC the 10/10 is usually more than they were making elsewhere. Fighters who were making significantly more than that outside the UFC get brought in on more (Jiri and Chandler aren't making 10/10 and Kayla won't be).

Bjorn was a much better promoter than Coker is. He held more events, got better ratings and created home grown talent including a few stars.

Coker does Kimbo vs. Dada and chases UFC cast offs desperately.
Coker is wack, he got extremly lucky with Strikeforce and didn't know what to do with it.

You dont hear Conor crying about the pay. Fighters need to learn how to promote themselves and stop whining.
Very white belt post. Promoting yourself will do jack shit for you when you're in a contract that lets the UFC completely fuck you if you don't accept their fight offers

Where the gonna go? PFL? One? Bellator?

So many great career options outside UFC, I am not surprised everyone has left.

Many did, they just failed. Affliction, strikeforce, bellator, ect ect

You're giving Dana White too much credit.

Without the Ultimate Fighter show, then the UFC might be out of business. Dana White was against the idea of a reality TV show.

I would like to see some sources on that. Also he clearly shifted his position and opinion, like any smart ceo does.

And why the fuck would anybody with any honor and self respect and who wants to be the best wanna come to the UFC where you only get title shots based on how much you sell??? Look at careers permanently ruined like Ferguson, Souza, Fitch, and many more who were on insane streaks but didn't get a title shot or got skipped for a big mouthed clown who doesn't even have a single win but can sell more? Look at how many careers were ruined or derailed because of guys like Bisping, McGregor and tho different case, Sterling holding the division hostage. Fuck that. It's not even about being the best.

Ferguson and fitch never got title shots???

<36>

Back