Why has the UFC never been to Hawaii?

juddy96

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Plenty of UFC fighters come from Hawaii, why has a UFC show never happened there?

BJ Penn
Travis Browne
KJ Noons
Yancy Medeiros
Max Holloway
Louis Smolka
Dustin Kimura
Brad Tavares
Russell Doane
Eddie Yagin

Give them opponents, and that's a solid fight night card.

I'm not sure, maybe Ron Jhun would know because he runs a gym there and trains a few fighters in the UFC.

Seems like a great spot to have a fight night event or something. Have it outside on the beach like Bodog fights

Insane taxes

3% of first $50,000 gross ticket sales
2% of all gross ticket sales over $50,000
2% of all receipts from television broadcasting, internet, DVD sales, etc.

Insane taxes

bum_dana_white.jpg

I dont think people on the east coast want to stay up until 5am watching a fight night.

UFC has robbed BJ Penn way too many decisions to EVER BE WELCOME IN HAWAII

Insane taxes

3% of first $50,000 gross ticket sales
2% of all gross ticket sales over $50,000
2% of all receipts from television broadcasting, internet, DVD sales, etc.

Your numbers are way out of date. The law has been amended a few times since 2008 (which is where your numbers are from) and the current fee structure was established in 2010. Essentially, it's:

(1) 2% of gross ticket sales; and
(2) The lesser of $50,000 or 2% of gross receipts from ppv.

Expensive to run and it would have to be a stadium show. They would have to have the right fight to sell it out and make it worth it

Penn/GSP would have done it but they didn't go that route for whatever reason. Probably for the best with how the 2nd fight went.

I saw an interview were Dana said it was to do with Hawaii not having commissions or a sports body as such, and how they didn't want to upset the Cali and Vegas commissions,

Lots of red tape

Expensive to run and it would have to be a stadium show. They would have to have the right fight to sell it out and make it worth it

Penn/GSP would have done it but they didn't go that route for whatever reason. Probably for the best with how the 2nd fight went.

Why would it have to be a stadium show?

It takes a lot of work to put on any show -- and getting all of your equipment to Hawaii takes a lot of work.

So you can put on a smaller show (fight night, whatever) with a lot of base cost (moving your octagon), or you can put on a big show and not sell out, since the population is small.

Pick your poison.

I dont think people on the east coast want to stay up until 5am watching a fight night.

Main events usually start at 3am for me. We need more events in Europe, but with better fighters. They always seem to give Europeans the shittiest cards.

Back