Why has Paulo Costa been successful this far

Loking

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He is a brazilian with a background in jiujitsu. He competed in the ultimate fighter 3 brazil. Chael described him having raw strength he used to overpower opponents.

I don't get it, there are a lot of strong guys in Brazil that do MMA. Is Paulo just stronger than all of them.

What's his schtick? He can throw power inside at a pace similar to Colbys pace in his respected style.

I just think i'm missing something.

Big guy, good fighter, has a very high pace and trown a lot of body shots. he's a bad match up for basically everyone and he doesn't have many weak spots ( outside of cardio which for the volume he trowns isn't even that bad )

Big guy, good fighter, has a very high pace and trown a lot of body shots. he's a bad match up for basically everyone and he doesn't have many weak spots ( outside of cardio which for the volume he trowns isn't even that bad )
leg kicks, front kicks, and counters

His schtick is his weight cutting ability. How many fighters can cut from 214 to 186?

Michael Chandler told people what it's like. These guys work harder than most. Chandler said he's in the gym 360 days a year, not twice a week like the guy with the remote control. Costa works his butt off and it will show Saturday night. Will it be enough to beat Izzy? I think so but he needs the right gameplan.

He is a brazilian with a background in jiujitsu. He competed in the ultimate fighter 3 brazil. Chael described him having raw strength he used to overpower opponents.

I don't get it, there are a lot of strong guys in Brazil that do MMA. Is Paulo just stronger than all of them.

What's his schtick? He can throw power inside at a pace similar to Colbys pace in his respected style.

I just think i'm missing something.

He's a very physically strong and athletic fighter, remember the early wrestling exchanges vs Yoel? He outmuscled Yoel Romero.
UntimelyClosedBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

He actually has pretty technical striking by MMA standards, good hands and kicks, solid speed, very good power...Not necessarily one shot KO power, but that natural kind of power where everything he throws is heavy without having to load up into individual strikes. He throws good combinations, changes levels well and loves working the body. He's defensively responsible too.

He's a pressure fighter and uses it to his advantage, cuts off the cage well with roundhouse kicks and throws in flurries when he gets his opponents against the cage. He's always moving forward and not afraid to engage or close distance, comfortable in the pocket and under fire. Dudes got a granite chin, he knows it, hes undefeated and confident.

The guy is physically very strong, with a great base...no ones taking him down easily and early on in the fight Im not sure anyone can keep him down at 185 either. He is huge and musclebound and has shown cardio issues in the past, which Im not sure he can ever fully fix, improve sure but there's limits to someone so muscular cutting so much weight.

Vs Izzy, it will be interesting. In my opinion the closest thing to Costa Izzy has ever fought was Vettori and Gastelum, which were his two hardest fights in MMA. The pressure, speed, cutting off the cage and power can definitely cause Izzy problems. That said, an elite striker with a 7 or 8in reach advantage that likes to counter and has proven he can go 5 rounds vs a heavy hitting, stocky pressure fighter that has never fought 5 rounds and has slowed down in the 3rd? Also Costa offers no real threat of a takedown either.

That said, Izzy has been fighting a lot longer, Costa has been visibly improving while Izzy is a proven product. Thats a little bit of an X factor going into this fight too. Who do I think wins? Izzy but its a damn good fight.

He's a very physically strong and athletic fighter, remember the early wrestling exchanges vs Yoel? He outmuscled Yoel Romero.
UntimelyClosedBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

He actually has pretty technical striking by MMA standards, good hands and kicks, solid speed, very good power...Not necessarily one shot KO power, but that natural kind of power where everything he throws is heavy without having to load up into individual strikes. He throws good combinations, changes levels well and loves working the body. He's defensively responsible too.

He's a pressure fighter and uses it to his advantage, cuts off the cage well with roundhouse kicks and throws in flurries when he gets his opponents against the cage. He's always moving forward and not afraid to engage or close distance, comfortable in the pocket and under fire. Dudes got a granite chin, he knows it, hes undefeated and confident.

The guy is physically very strong, with a great base...no ones taking him down easily and early on in the fight Im not sure anyone can keep him down at 185 either. He is huge and musclebound and has shown cardio issues in the past, which Im not sure he can ever fully fix, improve sure but there's limits to someone so muscular cutting so much weight.

Vs Izzy, it will be interesting. In my opinion the closest thing to Costa Izzy has ever fought was Vettori and Gastelum, which were his two hardest fights in MMA. The pressure, speed, cutting off the cage and power can definitely cause Izzy problems. That said, an elite striker with a 7 or 8in reach advantage that likes to counter and has proven he can go 5 rounds vs a heavy hitting, stocky pressure fighter that has never fought 5 rounds and has slowed down in the 3rd? Also Costa offers no real threat of a takedown either.

That said, Izzy has been fighting a lot longer, Costa has been visibly improving while Izzy is a proven product. Thats a little bit of an X factor going into this fight too. Who do I think wins? Izzy but its a damn good fight.
Honestly his best definition is a stronguer ball to the wall max holloway with more power and less cardio

Nah Max style is very different compared to Costa. I think a better comparison would be John lineker.
Nah i don't think so, costa is not a murderous puncher like lineker and lineker doesnt have much volume ( for a flw is nothing crazy ) what they do have in common is the body work though, maybe a mixture of lineker and max would be him

Last edited:
Honestly his best definition is a stronguer ball to the wall max holloway with more power and less cardio

Holloway is a looser puncher with less relative power. Costa keeps his hands up and his shoulders tight, Max drops his hands, can fight long and do it well. Holloway also is way more of a movement based fighter.

The heavy base, great takedown defense is comparable. I think they both work the body well have strong kicking games and throw in combinations but they aren't that similar. They're both tough chin wise too, sure. Holloway does most of his work with the 1s and 2s, Costa uses a lot more uppercuts and hooks.

Back