Why has no one tried a Ryu Uppercut in MMA yet?

@ Too Defensive- Sagat got his scar on his chest by shoryuken. It was shown on street fighter anime movie. Maybe it's because when a mma fighter do shoryuken and missed, it's easier for the fighter to take him down

Imagine Dhalsim in a MMA fight. He'd be impossible to submit.

Dan Henderson has been practicing his own variation of the Hadouken known has the Hendouken on barn rooftops. The unfortunate Englishman Michael Bisping was destroyed by the wrath of this technique. The ball of flame resulting from the Hendouken is only visible to high level wrestlers. Chael Sonnen witnessed the sheer power of the technique and it nearly drove him insane resulting in random and absurd trashtalking interviews previous to his fight against Anderson Silva.

Your not supposed to lead with a hook unless your name is Mayweather. Leading with an uppercut is just asking to get KO'd. Maybe you could get away with it in MMA because of the god awful boxing though,

Wrong on both counts

^ Not the same lol. Ryu actually leaps into the air. : )

But if you want a serious answer, TS, it doesn't work because like most traditional boxing punches, power is generated from the ground to the hip to the shoulder, etc. in case you didn't already know that, which I'm assuming that you don't because your even asking this. Now, logically, when your foot or feet leave(s) the ground, you no longer have any power. The flying left hook works because it's good for getting inside. And if you time the punch to land when your foot lands, it should be about as powerful if not a little more so than a regular left hook. The uppercut you're doesn't work so much because it's a punch from the rear hand. I could see a flying lead uppercut, though, if you're that hell bent on emulating Ryu in sparring/fights.

^ Not the same lol. Ryu actually leaps into the air. : )

But if you want a serious answer, TS, it doesn't work because like most traditional boxing punches, power is generated from the ground to the hip to the shoulder, etc. in case you didn't already know that, which I'm assuming that you don't because your even asking this. Now, logically, when your foot or feet leave(s) the ground, you no longer have any power. The flying left hook works because it's good for getting inside. And if you time the punch to land when your foot lands, it should be about as powerful if not a little more so than a regular left hook. The uppercut you're doesn't work so much because it's a punch from the rear hand. I could see a flying lead uppercut, though, if you're that hell bent on emulating Ryu in sparring/fights.

You bring up a good point, power does indeed come from the ground.

But then I got to thinking...why is it that there are jumping side kicks, jumping knees, superman punches, jump spinning back kicks, jump spinning heel kicks and the like?

Its because when you're jumping, power still comes from the ground because the initial jumping motion is sourced from the ground, after that the power is momentum based.

Although I used to be really into the Jumping attacks, they aren't considered to be any more powerful than their "grounded" counterparts...and the risk/reward ratio generally doesn't make them worth it.

Last edited:
Okay, serious business time. What if you start in a left lead and feint the shot by dropping levels and taking a step into your opponent with your right leg. If your opponent bites on the feint he'll change level to stuff the takedown and be open for an uppercut.

In this instance it is possible to throw the right uppercut by standing up into it. Conceivably a leaping uppercut could land to great effect. Although it would probably look more like a Tiger Uppercut or Thunder God Fist.

This thred and title literally had me in tears. Thank you everyone for making my morning at work better.

You know why? It's incredibly hard to do that forward, down/forward motion on the joystick while wearing mma gloves.

I don't think anyone has enough chi to channel raw flame through their fists.

well the jumping, spinning, side kick is the most powerful kick out there, and it is more powerful than the grounded version. For some reason spinning in the air generates more power than spinning with one foot on the ground.

you can kick down a door with this bad boy

The grounded version is more powerful. When you're in the air you are limited by your own mass and momentum. On the ground you can push off your base foot for increased power. Try it on a heavy bag.

Ever notice how they never had any TKD characters in Street Figher? Kim Kapwhan was the man.

Raiden's adibabade is superior to ryu's shoryuken.

Not trying to start the street fighter vs mortal kombat thing again, but Joe Rogan said so.

Just sayin'.

no. when in the air, you can twerk your entire body into the move. Try both and you will immediatly see the difference.

Is that the guy from king of fighters?

Yes he's from KoF, and no, no matter how you "twerk", you can't generate more power airbourne than you can grounded.

It's a matter of physics, not personal preference. I've been doing both for many years now. If you're getting more power with your jumpkick, I suggest you work on your technique standing.

Back