Why has Bas Rutten never commentated for the UFC?

People really don't seem to understand how commentating works, you have play by play (Goldberg, Mauro, The Voice etc.) and you have the color guy ( Rogan, Bas, Pat etc.), 2 color men wouldn't work very well, they could add Bas, kind of like the Strikeforce setup but you can't eliminate the Play by Play guy.

please no, also if ZUFFA wants to let go of a beef and get the best colour guy to replace kenny florian (cause only an idiot would want rogan replaced) they would sign up PAT MILETICH.

Pat has been really good for strikeforce and is way way better than BAS.

People really don't seem to understand how commentating works, you have play by play (Goldberg, Mauro, The Voice etc.) and you have the color guy ( Rogan, Bas, Pat etc.), 2 color men wouldn't work very well, they could add Bas, kind of like the Strikeforce setup but you can't eliminate the Play by Play guy.

In my opinion rogan does better play by play than goldie, I think it's because Rogan knows more about jits, and fighting in general; he can give better descriptions/backround of what's going on during the fight. Goldie is just over the top exaggeration, doesn't even make sense most of the time.

Sorry if I sounded defensive, I just figured you took the wrong approach to my post, nothing negative meant from my side.

I agree. Also, I think that Dana has said that Rogan is there for as long as he wants, as he was there without any salary in the early days.

Something along those lines.

I did hear something about Bas commenting for UFC, might he be in the studio like they did for FOX with Stann in the future?

Dana makes and breaks and makes up with guys like he's a 5year old girl... you never know who he's gonna hate next. The fact that he hated on JBJ this year totally caught me off guard...

Bas was very funny commented Pride fights, the funniest moment was the fight of Shogun vs. Arona

Bas and Joe are both "color" commentators it wouldn't work Mauro , Goldie and Anik are play by play you need a good mix of the two for it to work

Man I don't know why ppl are labeling joe and bas as just color guys. I think they give good play by play during the fights, better than anik or goldie.

Man I don't know why ppl are labeling joe and bas as just color guys. I think they give good play by play during the fights, better than anik or goldie.

I love Joe and Bas separately but together I think it would be an on slaught of over the topness ( don't think that's a real word but you catch my drift)

I like Bas, but sometimes he talks too much about himself.

the play by play guy does all the advertising promos and shit like that. rogan and bas would be terrible at that.

seriously watch rogan introduce the people at the fox/ufc first press conference. it was horribly bad. you need ANIK/MAURO/GOLDIE etc etc to do all the fight hype/advertising before and during the fights.

has nobody else seen bas's post on sherdog saying he's commentating for the ufc soon!?!

Wtf?

the play by play guy does all the advertising promos and shit like that. rogan and bas would be terrible at that.
is p
seriously watch rogan introduce the people at the fox/ufc first press conference. it was horribly bad. you need ANIK/MAURO/GOLDIE etc etc to do all the fight hype/advertising before and during the fights.

I think Bas would,could do that, or even rogan; he does advertising promos on his podcast, I'm not saying its completely the same, but its similar. I give goldie credit for the advertising promos, hes good at that. But the advertising stuff is seriously like 1-5% of air time and I think they could def do a good job. The UFC could also get someone else do that shit, completely feasible.

Bas is as overrated as a commentator as he is a fighter.

I love Joe and Bas separately but together I think it would be an on slaught of over the topness ( don't think that's a real word but you catch my drift)

I see what your saying, but I think the chances of it being successful altogether are more than not.

UFC is an American company. Announcers and commentators should be native english speakers.

So? I'd say more than half the fighters aren't American. A lot don't even speak English.

Bas clashes with ZUFFA.

this could in some way be the reason, bas is a professional and doesnt openly talk about private business stuff but maybe his relationship with zuffa and the people that run it are not that tight or are just ok.

I wouldnt be upset if bas and rogan commentated the next ufc. Might be funner!

has nobody else seen bas's post on sherdog saying he's commentating for the ufc soon!?!

Wtf?

No I didn't know that, thx for bringing that up. Maybe thats why goldie isn't commentating; slowly being phased out possibly.

Usually in MMA (and other sports) you have one guy who is an ex-participant in the sport and the other guy is an actual professional announcer. In the UFC, Rogan fills the role of the ex-participant (even though he technically doesn't fit that role profile) and Goldie is the sports caster. Even if Goldie leaves, they won't hire Bas because he doesn't fit the job profile left open by Goldie.

Schiavello is the best MMA commentator by far for me. His level of enthusiasm is infectious and gets you so excited for the fight like no other guy can. I can see why he annoys some people, but those people's opinions are not valid.

The worst is everyone on the Showtime team, especially Mauro Ranallo. I dont know why I could tolerate him in PRIDE but not anymore. Bas probably kept a lot of his retardedness in check.

No I didn't know that, thx for bringing that up. Maybe thats why goldie isn't commentating; slowly being phased out possibly.

He even posted a link to the thread on his Twitter to show that it was really him.

I can't find the thread or his profile on sherdog, otherwise I'd link the shit.

I just think it's crazy that this thread has gone on this damn long and nobody but myself has seen that thread. He posted it like 3-4 days ago!

I'm not sure if he said he'll be commentating for tonight's show or the next one, but he for sure said soon.

nope
dunno
i want him in there too
joe and he would have a fuckin blast together
people would start watching the ufc for the hilarious commentary alone
i know germany and sweden have some situation like that for eurovision song contest/melody gran prix
norway sort of has that with one of our soccer commentators
and I heard that the nfl has something like that too, maybe for some special time of year or special event?
mexico has something like that too for sports
anyway, it does happen
why not the ufc?
plus he is awesome, well known and liked by fans and he knows a shit tonne
would be dope

Back