Why has Bas Rutten never commentated for the UFC?

90% of the time Bas is talking about himself.
His stories are fun but it can get too much.

My guess is that Bas was with Pride and the UFC guys are still a bit bitter.

Thinking about it is weird, even Tank did commentate

Bas did come to UFC, you know (he was Heavyweight Champ in 1998). He also never fought in Pride (as it came about as he was retiring, 1997). He fought for Pancrase.

American billionaire Mark Cuban, business mogul doesn't seem to have a problem with Bas's english... I think it's def good enough

Tell me again what happened to Affliction? Cuban'n investment with Bas at the announcer's table?

Bas did come to UFC you know (he was Heavyweight Champ in 1998). He also never fought in Pride (as it came about as he was retiring) 1997. He fought for Pancrase

I know Bas fought and won a title in the UFC.

I was talking about commentating, as the thread is about it.

He was a reporter in Pride, did pre fight interviews and commented as the fights were happening.

This guy is awesome; he's a fighter, has a good personality for commentating, and has done mma commentating. Joe and Bas together would be good.

Joe + Bas are my commentating dream team, too. I like listening to someone who is actually knowledgeable about the sport and combat in general. Both are.

Tell me again what happened to Affliction? Cuban'n investment with Bas at the announcer's table?

I don't think affliction's downfall was because of Bas's english haha.

Dana refuses to call him el guapo, thats why.

90% of the time Bas is talking about himself.
His stories are fun but it can get too much.

My guess is that Bas was with Pride and the UFC guys are still a bit bitter.

Thinking about it is weird, even Tank did commentate

You must be talking about Frank Trigg, Bas did a pretty good job with Pride. Or you may be thinking about when he is commentating on his own fights in Pancrase.

Bas is the man and has a ton of knowledge to share anyone is better than Jon Anik though, dude needs to be reporting the weather or something.

You must be talking about Frank Trigg, Bas did a pretty good job with Pride. Or you may be thinking about when he is commentating on his own fights in Pancrase.

Bas is the man and has a ton of knowledge to share anyone is better than Jon Anik though, dude needs to be reporting the weather or something.

I was talking about him commentating for Pride, and his pre fight interviews.

I don't think affliction's downfall was because of Bas's english haha.

It had to do with people not knowing what they are doing. People got positions they shouldn't have.

Ohh the thing that you may have been quoting me on him talking about himself.
That is based in his interviews and what not in general.

This guy is awesome; he's a fighter, has a good personality for commentating, and has done mma commentating. Joe and Bas together would be good.

People really don't seem to understand how commentating works, you have play by play (Goldberg, Mauro, The Voice etc.) and you have the color guy ( Rogan, Bas, Pat etc.), 2 color men wouldn't work very well, they could add Bas, kind of like the Strikeforce setup but you can't eliminate the Play by Play guy.

Laugh if you want, but I really like Kenny Florian.

Because Bas and Zuffa have beef, like seemingly everyone else in the larger MMA world.

I know Bas fought and won a title in the UFC.

I was talking about commentating, as the thread is about it.

He was a reporter in Pride, did pre fight interviews and commented as the fights were happening.

wow, that sounded a bit defensive.
I misunderstood your post, apologies for ruffling feathers re:MMA knowledge. Nothing meant by it.

As far as I can remember Bas has commented on every possible televised forum except the UFC, inc the Japanese organisations and old videos. It could be because of an old Pride rivalry, maybe you're right - however I still think it's cos they've got their own home grown guys and current/recently retired fighters who are more known to casual fans. Plus Rogan's their color guy.

Sadly, I think more casual fans know who Brian Stann and KFlo are than Bas.

Uhh.....Didn't Bas just recently post on Sherdog that he's commentating for the UFC soon?

wow, that sounded a bit defensive.
I misunderstood your post, apologies for ruffling feathers re:MMA knowledge. Nothing meant by it.

As far as I can remember Bas has commented on every possible televised forum except the UFC, inc the Japanese organisations and old videos. It could be because of an old Pride rivalry, maybe you're right - however I still think it's cos they've got their own home grown guys and current/recently retired fighters who are more known to casual fans. Plus Rogan's their color guy.

Sadly, I think more casual fans know who Brian Stann and KFlo are than Bas.

Sorry if I sounded defensive, I just figured you took the wrong approach to my post, nothing negative meant from my side.

I agree. Also, I think that Dana has said that Rogan is there for as long as he wants, as he was there without any salary in the early days.

Something along those lines.

Bas and Joe are both "color" commentators it wouldn't work Mauro , Goldie and Anik are play by play you need a good mix of the two for it to work

Back