Why has Aoki not made it to UFC

I hope so. I enjoyed him at 155 and i think he'd do well at 145.

Makes more in Japan than he would in the UFC.

Shame, could make some good fights in the UFC Especially at FW.

Aoki is a boss

HAve you seen who he's been fighting lately?

He'd have harder fights in TUF auditions!

This is the 3rd thread on this in the past 2 weeks or so. The 2nd one is the Worldwide.

Makes more in Japan than he would in the UFC.

Shame, could make some good fights in the UFC Especially at FW.

Aoki is a boss

What MMA org exactly in Japan is running big shows and can afford to pay Shinya Aoki big purses in modern times? I'd like to know because with all these guys saying he's making so much money in Japan, there must be some big time Japan MMA org aside from defunct PRIDE FC and DREAM that's having Shinya Aoki bouts I'm not aware of and haven't seen yet and aren't listed in Sherdog's Fight Finder database.

I think OneFC and Evolve are paying him well enough

Look at jake shields striking, he's been somewhat successful in the octagon.

Demian Maia isn't the traditional NCAA All American wrestler, but he manages to get takedowns too.

People trash talk Shinya Aoki just like they trash talk Crocop, but there's a high probability Shinya Aoki will take his opponent down somehow and rear naked neck crank them or do some other nasty submission while his opponent can't do anything to him.

What MMA org exactly in Japan is running big shows and can afford to pay Shinya Aoki big purses in modern times? I'd like to know because with all these guys saying he's making so much money in Japan, there must be some big time Japan MMA org aside from defunct PRIDE FC and DREAM that's having Shinya Aoki bouts I'm not aware of and haven't seen yet and aren't listed in Sherdog's Fight Finder database.

His last fight in Dream is less than a year ago. Besides I've got a sneaking suspicion that they hand out some of that sweet under the table money at One FC. Victor Cui has seriously deep pockets and Aoki is pretty much his poster-boy.

So yeah, more money than he would make in the UFC. Maybe not in Japan but Singapore is a bit closer to home than the US.

Shinya would have mixed results in UFC and would only be there for big money- so a couple of losses would end up with a humiliating cut and sent off. Plus hes getting on- bit late to change things up you see

Even before the Melendez fight, Aoki said something along the lines of "If I didn't have 2 dependents to feed, I'd sign with the UFC." There was just too much at stake to be fighting in the octagon. He couldn't afford to fail and spoil his already established career. In UFC, unless your name is Sexyama, you won't be given too many second chances.

His last fight in Dream is less than a year ago. Besides I've got a sneaking suspicion that they hand out some of that sweet under the table money at One FC. Victor Cui has seriously deep pockets and Aoki is pretty much his poster-boy.

So yeah, more money than he would make in the UFC. Maybe not in Japan but Singapore is a bit closer to home than the US.

He could make more if he was the best or near the top in the UFC. He would not make the type of money he does fighting D level opponents in the US like he does in One. He would make more if he was a top guy in the UFC. Unless Shinya has some secret that no top ten fighter in the world has (there are none in One) and everyone in One FC is just making bank.

It isn't under the table money from One FC. He is getting a lot of money to train regular schmoes at Evolve. He is kind of like Jon Fitch now but at a lower level. Making his money training white collar types while just fighting whoever.

And he has fought in Japan once in two years and it was against Antonio Mckee. You have to got to go back over three years ago when he was fighting serious opposition in Japan. Japan is not a relevant part of his career at all anymore.

Last edited:
So I just got done watching Luke Thomas' weekly chat and while I generally like him, he was up to his usual Aoki bashing self. "People still asking about Aoki? Are people really still clamoring to see him in he UFC? He's a hype train that blah, blah, blah..." Ugh, disgusting...Aoki's the Dangerfield of MMA. NO RESPECT AT ALL.

His last fight with DREAM was under a year ago...and DREAM has yet to announce a show, schedule a show or even function as a promotion since then. Not to mention the "DREAM" card he fought on was put together by a kickboxing company.

So I just got done watching Luke Thomas' weekly chat and while I generally like him, he was up to his usual Aoki bashing self. "People still asking about Aoki? Are people really still clamoring to see him in he UFC? He's a hype train that blah, blah, blah..." Ugh, disgusting...Aoki's the Dangerfield of MMA. NO RESPECT AT ALL.

The fights Aoki is taking clearly show he doesn't give a shit about his "standing" in the sport. So I don't know why would care about a writers opinion.

He gets money training rich people at Evolve in Singapore and will take a fight on the side against guys like Cody Stevens and Arnaud Lepont. That is his career right now.

He could come back and try and be a relevant fighter again, he has the talent. But do you really think he even cares about being a relevant fighter at this point? There was a point where he was doing big fight outside of the UFC. That point in his career was years ago though. Don't blame someone else for pointing out the obvious. He probably makes good money, just not from being a relevant MMA fighter.

Last edited:
The fights Aoki is taking clearly show he doesn't give a shit about his "standing" in the sport. So I don't know why would care a writers opinion.

He gets money training rich people at Evolve in Singapore and will take a fight on the side against guys like Cody Stevens and Arnaud Lepont. That is his career right now.

He could come back and try and be a relevant fighter again, he has the talent. But do you really think he even cares about being a relevant fighter at this point? There was a point where he was doing big fight outside of the UFC. That point in his career was years ago though. Don't blame someone else for pointing out the obvious. He probably makes good money, just not from being a relevant MMA fighter.

i hate this is true.. he would get his shit pushed in the ufc tho no doubt about it but still i want to see penn v aoki or aldo or pettis or bendo...one could only hope

Back