Why fight top competition for less money in the UFC?

This is exactly the question these fighters should be asking themselves. If the UFC is treating them like shit they would do well to leave and go to PFL. One tournament win would dwarf their earnings and it would force the UFC to negotiate.
A UFC belt is fairly meaningless since they’re essentially handing out tile shots and if you get up to take a piss they’ll create an interim title with your belt.

Ask casual fans who has heard of MVP and who has heard of Tyrone Woodley and you should have your answer.

Casual heard about neither?
A guy who semi regularly commentates events and has fought main events on PPV and you are suggesting even casuals haven't heard of him....

A guy who semi regularly commentates events and has fought main events on PPV and you are suggesting even casuals haven't heard of him....

Casuals don't watch every PPV. They watch stars.
They might've paid some attention to him during Conor and Jones PPVs, but his fights there sucked so much that they probably forgot about him instantly.

As of commentating - they probably confuse him with Cormier

The reality is that we don’t know exactly how much they get paid, especially at the top level.

Jones said he made more than 5m a fight, while his disclosed pay was 500k. And that’s not just PPV points, there’s other undisclosed stuff going on. That’s a huge difference.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Tyron made quite a bit more than 200k, being that he’s an ex multiple time world champion and all.
Why do they have undisclosed pay? What purpose does it serve? Rather, who's interests does it serve? The UFC's.

Undisclosed pay is used to deflate pay. If everybody knows what everybody else makes, salaries go up. You don't even have to look to sports. It's the same in the business world. It's the same with real estate. Nobody would pay $30 million for a condo without precedents. Real estate agents don't keep prices of sold homes and apartments undisclosed. They make sure to keep them public, because it drives up prices. You wouldn't buy from, say, an electronics store that doesn't have price tags on the items and the sales person tells you, "I have a special offer just for you." You shop around. You compare prices, and items.

This is economics 101.

I have used this example before. Gordie Howe was the biggest star in the NHL in the 1950s and much of the 1960s. No disclosed pay in the NHL back then. Gordie was told by the Red Wings manager that he was the highest paid player in the league. As one would expect. It turned out he wasn't even the highest paid player on the club. He was third highest paid. Was Gordie naive? Of course he was, but he also had little way of knowing.

Then you have the exclusive contracts. NHL teams owned a player for life until the NHLPA was formed in 1967. Teams owned you from the time you were 16 or so. Bobby Hull demanded a raise. He was forced to publicly apologize and crawl back to his club.

How can we stand for this shit going on today? It was bad already in the 1960s.

Yeah, I always asked myself that until Jon Jones claimed that he wins more than 5 million dollars per fight while his disclosed purse (the ones you are citing there) is only 500.000. So where does the other 4.500.000 came from? And how much are the rest of them winning? Nobody in UFC is running towards PFL so I don't think they really win that little inside UFC.

Casuals don't watch every PPV. They watch stars.
They might've paid some attention to him during Conor and Jones PPVs, but his fights there sucked so much that they probably forgot about him instantly.

As of commentating - they probably confuse him with Cormier
giphy.gif

Yeah, I always asked myself that until Jon Jones claimed that he wins more than 5 million dollars per fight while his disclosed purse (the ones you are citing there) is only 500.000. So where does the other 4.500.000 came from? And how much are the rest of them winning? Nobody in UFC is running towards PFL so I don't think they really win that little inside UFC.
Does it matter? And the UFC refused to pay Gegard more than minor league salary.

Make salaries public.

your forgetting the guys who lose there first fight make 10k only for the year. it only pays off if you win.
so does the guy losing in the UFC.
It's about being the best? That comes with brain damage, this is not tennis.
Palmer is set while UFC HW champs like Stipe have to work a regular job

Does it matter? And the UFC refused to pay Gegard more than minor league salary.

Make salaries public.
Honestly the more they pay them, the less they fight apparentely. Every champion fights once a year. And conor fights once every 2 years. I'd rather they pay them less if they are going to behave like that...

I like how “sponsorship money” is the new mythical locker room bonus for shertards who hate the UFC.

so does the guy losing in the UFC.
It's about being the best? That comes with brain damage, this is not tennis.
Palmer is set while UFC HW champs like Stipe have to work a regular job
He works a regular job because he chooses to. He has fought 3 times in 3 years, he wins so much that he doesn't feel like fighting more than that. Palmer needed to fight 5 times per year to get that money. If Stipe fought twice a year he would already make more. In fact, if Stipe wins half of what Jones claims to make (5 million). He already wins more in 1 fight than Palmer did in 2 years and 10 fights. So yeah, Stipe is not going anywhere...

Higher earning potential?
PFL GP winner gets UFC champion's money.

And if you are smart with sponsors, you get way more than Reebok money, especially if you just started in the UFC
Yes, higher earning potential. The UFC gets more exposure than any other promotion by far. If you are good and have know how to market yourself you can make a lot of money outside of fighting after you get some fans from fighting in the UFC. PVZ isn’t even a good fighter and she’s getting paid outside of fighting. Sugar Sean is making a killing playing video games after earning fans from UFC viewers. The ceiling is much higher in the UFC and that is what higher earning potential means. Conor

Despite what Sherdoggers day UFC pays more.

Only 6 people in PFL get a million. And that’s only after 4/5consecutive wins. So they make 200k-250k per fight. UFC has guys that make more guaranteed regardless of whether or not they win 5 in a row.
The amount of stupidity that gets posted when anyone mentions fighter pay is astounding. You're one of the smart ones. Thank you for your effort.
<RomeroSalute>

By my estimation, there are more than 6 MMA fighters

Back