Why Dustin Poirier favors Justin Gaethje over Michael Chandler

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
dustin-poirier-justin-gaethje-ufc-on-fox-29-8.jpg

Dustin Poirier thinks Michael Chandler will have a tough time dealing with Justin Gaethje.

In a high-stakes lightweight matchup, Chandler (22-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC) meets Gaethje (22-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at UFC 268 on Nov. 6, when the former title challengers will vie for another crack at the title.

Poirier (28-6 MMA, 20-5 UFC), who’s expected to challenge newly crowned champion Charles Oliveira before the end of the year, has already locked horns with Gaethje before in what was a gritty, back-and-forth fight.

So having already been in there with Gaethje, Poirier knows the kind of fight “The Highlight” brings and thinks he’ll be too much for Chandler.

“I kind of favor Gaethje in that matchup,” Poirier said on American Top Team’s “Punchin’ In” podcast. “Chandler is going to have trouble getting him down, holding him down and to avoid those big shots.”

Although he was able to eventually knock out Gaethje in Round 4, Poirier had to battle through some adversity before getting the finish. Gaethje is known for his brutal leg kicks and was able to inflict quite a bit of damage on Poirier.

“Gaethje probably, he partially tore my quad,” Poirier said on the hardest leg kicker he’s faced. “In the fight, him not caring about position and throwing kicks as hard as he can just to land them, not worrying about repercussions – no setups.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-justin-gaethje-over-michael-chandler-ufc-268

Gaethje only has 8 fights in the ufc? Damn it feels like he's been here forever but I guess that's what inactivity does to certain fighters

This making me think Chandler gets it done. Dustin called the last Chandler fight completely wrong too.

Chandler has great explosive power. Also Justin's wrestling doesn't stack up. He stopped working on it from college onwards and it shows.

Michael Johnson, Poirier. Everyone he's fought has taken him down. Mean whiles chandler is still as sharp as ever.

Justin admits he doesn't train BJJ, hasn't he gotten fat after the Khabib fight too?

He's gonna get blasted, end up on his back and get submitted by Chandler. You heard it here first.

This making me think Chandler gets it done. Dustin called the last Chandler fight completely wrong too.

Chandler has great explosive power. Also Justin's wrestling doesn't stack up. He stopped working on it from college onwards and it shows.

Michael Johnson, Poirier. Everyone he's fought has taken him down. Mean whiles chandler is still as sharp as ever.

Justin admits he doesn't train BJJ, hasn't he gotten fat after the Khabib fight too?

He's gonna get blasted, end up on his back and get submitted by Chandler. You heard it here first.
Another submission prediction??? Smh

Another submission prediction??? Smh

Or he just knocks him out. As much as we talk about chandler's chin, he wasn't the one knocked down by Tony and got saved by the bell.

That Justin chin is glass, just waiting for the great Chandler overhand to smash it.

Or he just knocks him out. As much as we talk about chandler's chin, he wasn't the one knocked down by Tony and got saved by the bell.

That Justin chin is glass, just waiting for the great Chandler overhand to smash it.

Tony dropped Gaethe? I don’t remember that.

Justin’s chin is glass??? Lmao sooo many people sleeping on Gaethje

Because it makes Dustin look better because Dustin already beat him?
Tony dropped Gaethe? I don’t remember that.
Yes Tony did drop him. That fight wasn't as one sided a beat down as people make it out to be. Tony had his moments. If he didn't do 2 weight cuts and actually attempted to take the fight to the ground he probably would've won.

Yes Tony did drop him. That fight wasn't as one sided a beat down as people make it out to be. Tony had his moments. If he didn't do 2 weight cuts and actually attempted to take the fight to the ground he probably would've won.
No he wouldn’t have

That fight broke my heart man.

Justin’s chin is glass??? Lmao sooo many people sleeping on Gaethje
Very overrated. Destroyed by Eddie, finished by Dustin and got to feast on the ghost of Tony.

He's TDD isn't great, he doesn't train BJJ. He's the least skilled strike in the top 5 and to top it all of he's obviously chinny.

Very overrated. Destroyed by Eddie, finished by Dustin and got to feast on the ghost of Tony.

He's TDD isn't great, he doesn't train BJJ. He's the least skilled strike in the top 5 and to top it all of he's obviously chinny.
Lol at all you dorks who took it literally when he said he didn’t train BJJ

Face it, Justin isn't UFC calibre. At least Chandler with his defensive holes, has great wrestling, power and hand speed.

Guy said it up there, saved by the bell from a 4-4 record in the UFC.

Face it, Justin isn't UFC calibre. At least Chandler with his defensive holes, has great wrestling, power and hand speed.

Guy said it up there, saved by the bell from a 4-4 record in the UFC.
Now he isn't even UFC calibre??? Lol

Back