Why don't you pull Sumo?

I do some of both, but I really, really hate having my elbows inside my knees. Just feels like they're going to get stuck.

I'm on a heavy DL day today, so I'll go try a sumo 1rep max and see how it compares.

Sumo does tend to focus more on pure lower back strength, so it can be a good tool for folks who are having trouble with lockout in standard DLing.

I'm wondering if relative shoulder width has anything to do with a person's DLing choice.

I think you have this backwards.
I don't think so, but I'll check and see.

As I remember it, since there is no real knee flexion, there isn't as much recruitment of leg strength/muscles.

quads_coan_4.jpg

Not much knee flexion in a sumo deadlift???? It's all thigh and hip power. The back angle is near vertical, which is why it is easier to hold a neutral spine. Most guys will almost pull pure straight leg with max conventional pulls which is all back.

Yep - I had it backwards.

I never had any knee issues switching to sumo once I realized I had to push my knees out parallel to the bar instead of pushing my knees over the bar.

Lower back fatigue, etc, is much less pulling sumo. My upper back gets more fatigued and sore than my lower back does.

Your hips, glutes, hamstrings, and groin will get beat to shit pulling sumo.

I was able to surpass my conventional PR with just a few sessions pulling sumo, but that's just me - everyone is different. I was able to adjust quickly since I squat wide, so the same muscles used pulling sumo were already strengthened pretty well. If you do not squat wide it is going to take you some time to be able to pull sumo with your conventional weights. Some people cannot pull sumo to save their life.

Your back should not be strained/fatigued much at all pulling sumo, but since you aren't a sumo puller you are going to have all sorts of new and exciting pains to deal with.

I think I was doing something else they warned about in that thread - going too wide with my feet, which demands a ton of flexibility that I don't have.

The result was more or less an SLDL - which would do what I was saying.

You can learn something new every day.

I'll try again with better form, because I don't think I've ever done them right.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_764328-->

I might go sumo for a while to go easy on my lower back...

im still tryin to get my conventional form down

i cant be messing around with the sumo

I DL a heavy-ass industrial strength push mower into the back of a John Deere Gator a couple times a day just about every day. No sumo. I've never tried sumo, but I might sometime, although I'm quite happy with my conventional pull.

I DL a heavy-ass industrial strength push mower into the back of a John Deere Gator a couple times a day just about every day. No sumo. I've never tried sumo, but I might sometime, although I'm quite happy with my conventional pull.

Has anyone else noticed that a large number of women who train/compete pull sumo? Or am I just making this up.

I do sumo because it works the legs more. I use it as a core leg exercise.

I pull more. Funny that my conventional PR with no gear (305) just beat my geared sumo pull back in March (303). I'm curious to see what my geared sumo pull is up to now.

BTW, I've said this before, sumo pulls are good for squat training. Hammies FTW. :)

BTW, I've said this before, sumo pulls are good for squat training. Hammies FTW. :)

For sure, this is why I'm gonna start adding in sumo deads to my workouts

Back