Why don't we see more Judo

FutureBwChamp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My guess is there is not enough coaches and people that would want to train it. I really wouldn't want to drill being thrown over someone's shoulder. Judo is intense shit! Any guesses . . .

Probably more wrasslin coaches that will work cheaper than the old judo master.

Considering the wide range of skills an mma fighter needs, wrestling is simpler so fighter have more time and energy to work on other skills.

My guess is there is not enough coaches and people that would want to train it. I really wouldn't want to drill being thrown over someone's shoulder. Judo is intense shit! Any guesses . . .

Several reasons.

The judo community hates MMA and will ban athletes from santioned judo for training MMA.

They banned leg grabbing so it doesn't translate to MMA as well as it used to.

Also R3 is really known for her newaza game which has really translated nicely to MMA.

Many of the top judokas that have competed in MMA did so passed their athletic prime.

It's probably more of a wideworld diffusion/statistic thing,but up to now wrestling proved to be better

Just being a judo expert only works in the shallow pool of talent that is the UFCs women's division.

from what i've seen, most of the traditional martial arts practitioners need to be exceptional in their discipline and have the physical tools to utilize it. Whereas with wrestling it seems having that for a grappling base only requires them to be above average to have quite a bit of success(jon fitch for example)

When I hear judo I don't think of Rhonda and neither should anybody... You should be thinking of the likes of Ishii getting head kicked, the likes of Ming Su Kim getting donkey kong smashed by Brock, the likes of Karo washing out of the UFC, etc

Just being a judo expert only works in the shallow pool of talent that is the UFCs women's division.

This. Men's MMA have guys who can neutralize judo through other techniques/disciplines.

/thread

Several reasons.

The judo community hates MMA and will ban athletes from santioned judo for training MMA.

They banned leg grabbing so it doesn't translate to MMA as well as it used to.

Also R3 is really known for her newaza game which has really translated nicely to MMA.

Many of the top judokas that have competed in MMA did so passed their athletic prime.

Top shelf stupidity there by the judo orgs.

Banning students because they also train in MMA? What possible rationale is there for that beyond a desire to go out of business?

Also, I've never been shocked by stupid Judo rule changes as much as I was when they banned leg-based take downs.

They're already different enough from wrestling to have their own identity. They don't need to exaggerate it by banning effective wrestling techniques from their competitions.

At the rate they're going Judo will resemble fighting about as much Olympic fencing resembles a sword fight - i.e. Not at all.

Karo, Ronda, Lombard, Akiyama, Sokoudjou, Ishii, Dong Hyun Kim I believe.... There are plenty of judo practitioners who excel at MMA.

1. It's super expensive to take, and not as well known as Wrestling
2. It's difficult to find a Judo gym while wrestling/boxing gyms are in every city
3. Wrestling can act as a substitute for it (Many of the throws are done in both sports)

Because Judos leaders are dicks.

Also most of the throws etc rely on the gi from my understanding.So not everyone can translate it to mma well.Also most of them have 0 ground game.Ronda is the exception in that she developed techniques that werent soley reliant on the gi and had a submission game

Top shelf stupidity there by the judo orgs.

Banning students because they also train in MMA? What possible rationale is there for that beyond a desire to go out of business?

Also, I've never been shocked by stupid Judo rule changes as much as I was when they banned leg-based take downs.

They're already different enough from wrestling to have their own identity. They don't need to exaggerate it by banning effective wrestling techniques from their competitions.

At the rate they're going Judo will resemble fighting about as much Olympic fencing resembles a sword fight - i.e. Not at all.

Both sports could mutually benefit each other but the judo community is stubborn.

They banned legit techniques for aesthetic reasons.

The judo R3 competed in was vastly different than what is going on now in judo.

I didn't say being a one dimensional. I just mean why don't people train it as often as wrestling, boxing, muay Thai, jiu jitsu etc

I'm guessing that UFC is largely consisted of Americans and Brazilians on the top of the chain and we don't see much Japanese fighters.
Lots more wrestling gyms than judo in America.
The best Judo gyms are most likely in Japan.

Back