Why don't we see more broken arms in MMA?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
No one ever really blocks the kick with their legs like muay thai style. MANY MANY of them just blocks it with their arms/elbows. It just puzzles me why we don't see more broken arm/elbow since most of them just blocks it with their arms/elbows.

I've seen it once at a KOTC event, guy rushed to block a headkick, and it fractured. Got KO'd after, his arm dangled and he looked at it like WTF, but the fight wasn't stopped and his opponent went for a superman and he went out

I've seen it once at a KOTC event, guy rushed to block a headkick, and it fractured. Got KO'd after, his arm dangled and he looked at it like WTF, but the fight wasn't stopped and his opponent went for a superman and he went out
sad day

Have you seen how poorly most fighters kick in MMA?

Fighters might be more worried about the takedown and might be throwing kicks with less force. Plus, the technique difference between kickboxing/muay thai and MMA is huge.

I can think of a few cases like Couture Vs Gonzaga, Franklin vs Liddel, Le vs Shamrock.

Then there are guys like Whittaker who was rocked by Adesanya from a single arm blocked kicked.

I can think of a few cases like Couture Vs Gonzaga, Franklin vs Liddel, Le vs Shamrock.

Then there are guys like Whittaker who was rocked by Adesanya from a single arm blocked kicked.

yes but out of million fights

Fighters might be more worried about the takedown and might be throwing kicks with less force. Plus, the technique difference between kickboxing/muay thai and MMA is huge.
It’s this. Plus you need to conserve energy for defending takedowns and moving your feet which is harder than simply shelling up and defending strikes.
Kicks take a lot of energy, especially high kicks.

Although my point is less of a problem for actual good kickers

It’s this. Plus you need to conserve energy for defending takedowns and moving your feet which is harder than simply shelling up and defending strikes.
Kicks take a lot of energy, especially high kicks.

Although my point is less of a problem for actual good kickers
funny i typed exact same thing out before reading this

funny when single sport guys try to rag on mma saying they suck in certain things but dont understand that you have stand in certain positions watching out for certain things

my boxing coaches are like that sadly

kicking has to be done a bit different also in mma guys dont fight near as square as thai guys due to the td

I think that's a myth that needs to die. Let's look at a top stadium champ in Muay Thai along with a couple MMA champs who have the best takedown defence in the game along with a solid kicking game of their own.

Nong-O fighting MT in small gloves
5HuOuEd.jpg

Jose Aldo had very strong kicks in his prime and is still nearly impossible to take down
PlpwaTi.jpg

Joanna is a very high volume kicker and she's almost as hard to take down as Aldo
FJxqMZf.jpg

The stance is actually quite similar, it's not nearly as different as most people think. A good stance for kicking is also a good stance for defending takedowns, there's no real need to use a modified wrestling/boxing stance which compromises kicking, but that's what most MMA fighters end up doing.

There's really nothing that stops an MMA fighter with good kicks from launching full power kicks into an opponent's arms until he breaks them.

I think that's a myth that needs to die. Let's look at a top stadium champ in Muay Thai along with a couple MMA champs who have the best takedown defence in the game along with a solid kicking game of their own.

Nong-O fighting MT in small gloves
5HuOuEd.jpg

Jose Aldo had very strong kicks in his prime and is still nearly impossible to take down
PlpwaTi.jpg

Joanna is a very high volume kicker and she's almost as hard to take down as Aldo
FJxqMZf.jpg

The stance is actually quite similar, it's not nearly as different as most people think. A good stance for kicking is also a good stance for defending takedowns, there's no real need to use a modified wrestling/boxing stance which compromises kicking, but that's what most MMA fighters end up doing.

There's really nothing that stops an MMA fighter with good kicks from launching full power kicks into an opponent's arms until he breaks them.

But your argument isn't as weak compared to if you showed some fighters with similar stance who isn't Muay thai based fighters in MMA tho, but I get what u are saying.

There is a shortage of very good nak muay competing in mma. Most mma fighters learn muay thai as a.secondary art and therefore their kicks are less proficient.

Sounds like a bad ref.
Bad refs get people fucked up.

Sounds like a bad ref.
Bad refs get people fucked up.
Might've been, in his defense he couldn't see it. He didn't move off to the side to be perpendicular to see what happened; He was watching in a straight line where the winner's back was what he could see, and couldn't make out from that angle the other guy looking down in shock.

Now that I write that all out.... it sounds like a poor job....

Might've been, in his defense he couldn't see it. He didn't move off to the side to be perpendicular to see what happened; He was watching in a straight line where the winner's back was what he could see, and couldn't make out from that angle the other guy looking down in shock.

Now that I write that all out.... it sounds like a poor job....
lol ya. i have a particular sore spot for bad refs.

a ref let a dude get away with punching my fighter in the throat. he fell unable to breathe thus unable to defend himself and the ref let him get beat completely undefended for at least 30 seconds before ending the fight, and we didn't have a towel or anything (didn't think of using one of our shirts) to throw in before then either.

lol ya. i have a particular sore spot for bad refs.

a ref let a dude get away with punching my fighter in the throat. he fell unable to breathe thus unable to defend himself and the ref let him get beat completely undefended for at least 30 seconds before ending the fight, and we didn't have a towel or anything (didn't think of using one of our shirts) to throw in before then either.
Thats fucked.

Not as bad as your case, the worse ref I saw in person was at NAGA. It was at one of the opposite mats and a guy gets a flying armbar, the dude is tapping but the ref looks out of it. Armbar'r is in limbo trying to not injure the guy, yet hold the sub long enough so the ref calls it. Other dude is fighting the hardest battle of his life to be able to go to work on Monday. Crowd screams at the ref, and he goes:

Oh!

Then calls it.

WTF

Thats fucked.

Not as bad as your case, the worse ref I saw in person was at NAGA. It was at one of the opposite mats and a guy gets a flying armbar, the dude is tapping but the ref looks out of it. Armbar'r is in limbo trying to not injure the guy, yet hold the sub long enough so the ref calls it. Other dude is fighting the hardest battle of his life to be able to go to work on Monday. Crowd screams at the ref, and he goes:

Oh!

Then calls it.

WTF
Honestly I don’t know if i'd feel comfortable competing there or taking anyone else to compete there ever again.

It was like a decade ago but damn something like that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

which sucks because as far as i'm aware it's the only MMA promotion for about an hour or two.

Last edited:
No one ever really blocks the kick with their legs like muay thai style. MANY MANY of them just blocks it with their arms/elbows. It just puzzles me why we don't see more broken arm/elbow since most of them just blocks it with their arms/elbows.
Technique used to defend a body kick often refered to a a Dutch block softens the blow you're not just eating the kick on the arm. You're zoning away from the kick and using your opposite hand to catch and slow the kick down

Back