Why don't people like Tournaments?

I plan on going out there in about 2 or 3 months and by that time I will have about 6 or so months of experience. My main fears are really just getting my ass kicked really bad, embarassing the people at my gym for losing so bad, looking like an idot for being terrible.

They always say that at my school to. I mean your not gonna win if you dont go anyway so you might as well try. You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. I think people dont want to lose so they dont compete untll they feel mentally ready which is usually....never

I just got home from NAGA and lost both of my fights, but you know what? I loved fighting and I am still on natural high. i can't wait for the next tourny to come around. The I will buy my finace a spa treatment or some shit for that day so she stays out of my hair

NAGA was alright. Hated the wait even though my matches were first because i joined teens. No place to sit and they'd barely call your name. Some kids took this shit way too serious, parents were too hard on some of their kids or didn't support them even if they lost. And the fact I had to watch the rest of my teammates wait for a match and sleeping on the floor made it worse. Highlight was the Gregor match,

Overall, I don't know if I'll do another one of these tournies. Who the hells lets novices and beginners practice leglocks??? Things I did like was how they did the point system. They didn't give you points for every position unless it showed any significance. Submission attempts were rewarded as well.

Also a lot of teens were really nice to me and I got to meet some great guys.

Anyways, tournies are very important but only if they can run a bit more organized. It's a fuckin headache throughout the day.

I think most people are simply too scared to compete. I love competing tho, I bring all my friends and family every time. It is something I love to do and I try and do my best at it. People who dont compete arent serious enough, and I dont really even know why they train at all. They are training ti get better for practice basically, they are not trying to advance themselves. I think to earn higher belts it should be a requirement to compete, but thats not the case, atleast not where I go. There are a few blues that have never competed and have no desire to.

infamous mattyd said:
I just got home from NAGA and lost both of my fights, but you know what? I loved fighting and I am still on natural high. i can't wait for the next tourny to come around. The I will buy my finace a spa treatment or some shit for that day so she stays out of my hair

NAGA was 50 bucks? Really? Was it in Jersey? Bayonne, the Beverly Hills of NJ

CoutureFan16 said:
I think most people are simply too scared to compete. I love competing tho, I bring all my friends and family every time. It is something I love to do and I try and do my best at it. People who dont compete arent serious enough, and I dont really even know why they train at all. They are training ti get better for practice basically, they are not trying to advance themselves. I think to earn higher belts it should be a requirement to compete, but thats not the case, atleast not where I go. There are a few blues that have never competed and have no desire to.
I know a few blue belts.. actually a lot of blue belts in my club who if joined this Naga they would win for sure but have no desire for tournaments. They do BJJ because they like it, they don't need a medal. These guys are already good people and know that there's enough competition in our club and if need something to improve on, they could simply ass one of our black belts. I chose to compete because I wanted to, these people chose not to compete because they simply didn't want to.

infamous mattyd said:
it was in hoboken, my home town...represent
Dude hoboken is fucking beautiful, that shit is yuppiesville.'

Edit: Holy shit were there some hot girls at NAGA or what. I have to go and watch these beautiful girls again. Wow watching a fit girl with a fatty roll is awesome.

God I'm such a perv.

Soid said:
Dude hoboken is fucking beautiful, that shit is yuppiesville.'

Edit: Holy shit were there some hot girls at NAGA or what. I have to go and watch these beautiful girls again. Wow watching a fit girl with a fatty roll is awesome.

God I'm such a perv.
Good stuff I liked the TSK and the one whos trainer had a renzo shirt.

Those TSK girls were friggin hot, in the warm up room hamstring stretch.nuff said

infamous mattyd said:
I like them when they are over...I hate the prefight jitters
yeah, i hate that too. people don't like entering tournaments because they are afraid to lose.

infamous mattyd said:
it was in hoboken, my home town...represent

Hoboken Has a great nightlife.......they got some hot bitches there. Parking sucks though.

This is what I like about NAGAs. They may be expensive, but you can enter as many divisions as you want. A lot of people in this thread are asking why they should pay 75 to compete once. Fight in more divisions. At 2 day NAGAs I compete in 4 divisions minimum, and at 1 day ones I compete in three usually. That is a horrible though anyways. That is just assuming you are going to lose.

physicaltherapy said:
What I don't like about the touneys is the price. It's just so damn expensive. 75 for NAGA 75 for grapplers quest..............jesus that's kinda bull, to have one 5 minute roll. I did my fair share of competing. I don't like starving myself. I don't like spending whole fuckin Saturday or Sunday waiting around 'till they call my division.....I really feel like damn these promoters are just getting fat/rich off of me..... Jesus look at the kids divisions there must be a 1000 kids out there......I'd rather take my 75 dollars and pay matfees at 3 different schools and roll with different people at my level. And get some good instruction out of it...........meet and make connections with different people............I don't do jiu jitsu to get a piece of metal.

When you roll at different schools its actually a lot cooler.....Everybody there tries to kill you ...it's great!!! I mean they really try to submit you...Not like in competition where some asshole who's been wrestling since he was 8 years old enters an intermediate (or worse beginner/novice level) takes you down and just hangs on for dear life, trying to stall and hold on to his 2 fucking points for the win. What's great is when you hear his coach actually encouraging this very gay stalling process. "Hold him little Billy!!!! You have 4 minutes and 30 seconds left." Congratulations buddy...you're a fucking pussy. I'm sure this is what Helio had in mind when he envisioned the future of jiu jitsu. Thanks for laying on top of me and stalling.....I really feel like I got my 75 dollars worth. You are the better fighter.
You shouldn't focus on what someone's elses tactics are. When someone does that to you, it just proves that you need to work on your bottom game.

Frodo said:
A lot of people at the places where I roll don't want to enter any grappling competitions or tournaments even as beginners. They say they want more practice first. I don't understand this reasoning at all! I feel that tournaments are a great way to motivate yourself to work extra hard during practice. They also provide a concrete structure to your training regime. And they are better goals than simply "lose weight and get in shape the BJJ way."

Since starting grappling/bjj six months ago, I have competed in virtually every tournament in the area (about one a month). Each time, I gain a lot more understanding on what I need to study and a lot more insight into grappling in general. Granted I don't do well all the time especially during those tournaments when I had only a few weeks experience. ;-) But who cares about that? As long as I'm having fun I want to roll as much as I can!

You got to roll with new and better people to get better yourself. I don't understand why people don't want to enter competitions.

Honestly, I think it's because of the ego thing. And I'm not just talking about other people; I've found myself in that situation.

It's tough. It's not easy to go out in front of all these people who are watching you, who don't know the hours you've put into training, and who haven't seen all the improvements you've made and the sacrifices you've given. All they see is whether you win or lose, and you worry about looking bad in front of them.

It's also tough because losing can be damaging to your ego. You do really well at the gym and have a positive view of yourself, and you worry about ruining that with a loss. You hate having a loss on your record.

It's tough, but once you get over your ego and just care about having fun and getting better, it gets easier. Competing is another way of getting better, and it's just a different thing from training in the gym.

Most of the time it's an ego thing. If you are someone who constantly gets their ass kicked in your gym and go to a tournament, your fear of losing is less. When you go knowing you do great against people in your gym and lose then that's where ego, and reality sets in. Like I said, some kids were expecting too much from themselves when they lost. I think the reason many adults from our gym won was due to the fact that the level of competiton at our gym is much better then most schools, and the fact that most train there asses off everyday rather then for a competition.

Yo Iceman, nice neckcrank in that avatar :p

1.) The frequent sandbagging that occurs.
2.) Injuries (more of a risk at a tournament than just free sparring at your club).
3.) Fear of losing.

Back