Why Don't MMA Fighters try to Check Leg-Kicks?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If they go to good thai or k1 schools, I figure that they would at least teach checks and to stop eating leg kicks like most fighters..

Sure, you can work on a gameplan like Weidman vs Silva II. I remember his coach telling media in the countdown show, that this was a part of the plan because he ate too much of them in their first fight.

But doesn't it make more sense to learn how to check kicks more consistently? Rather than take them and hinder movement.

I know rules could play a factor; if you spend too much time focusing on checking, you could become stationary and get taken down.

Thoughts?

they dont come from great kicking backgrounds. also mma fighters don't kick that hard and often kick with the foot, so they dont bother to check them.

If they go to good thai or k1 schools, I figure that they would at least teach checks and to stop eating leg kicks like most fighters..

Sure, you can work on a gameplan like Weidman vs Silva II. I remember his coach telling media in the countdown show, that this was a part of the plan because he ate too much of them in their first fight.

But doesn't it make more sense to learn how to check kicks more consistently? Rather than take them and hinder movement.

I know rules could play a factor; if you spend too much time focusing on checking, you could become stationary and get taken down.

Thoughts?
Because it fucking hurts and moving out of the way is an option.
<{you!}>
Sometimes they're the best choice though. So...
<209Bitch>

MMA has a lot of guys that kick hard, but not a lot that would actually be described as good kickers.

Also, if you haven't noticed, a lot of people are solely offensive minded in MMA; that's not me saying it's a good thing, but just how it is. The defensive stuff is mostly TDD and neutralizing submissions.

Most guys would be better off just bettering their footwork and moving out the way anyway.

If they don't check a real kick it's probably because they didn't see it. It's not effortless to check a kick after you defended a punch combo anymore than it's effortless to slip jabs. It takes a lot of practice to see them coming.

If the Diaz' had the ability to they'd probably check kicks and stop losing fights because of it. Or maybe they're just too cocky and stupid.

Stance mostly. Most of the time, being forward heavy is normal in MMA. Due to this checking is alot slower and difficult to do compared to being 50-50 or 80:20 rear leg heavy.

On the list of things to deal with, leg kick isn't too much of a priority. Also most gyms that don't have a decent MT or KB program don't respect leg kicks, its the equivalent of a slap with the mindset of "ah, I can take it, so I can press forward and land my cross or get a takedown".

i only check kicks if i couldn't jam it in time i love to double leg leg kicks i drill it alot to blast the hips if i couldnt get in good i try to follow up with a 3 punch combo depending in there stance if i step in i take away the blunt force of the kick i feel is better than checking as is aid checking is my last option i try

The best example of kick checking in MMA was Fedor vs Crocop. Fedor read Mirko like a book and blocked everything.

MMA has a lot of guys that kick hard, but not a lot that would actually be described as good kickers.

Also, if you haven't noticed, a lot of people are solely offensive minded in MMA; that's not me saying it's a good thing, but just how it is. The defensive stuff is mostly TDD and neutralizing submissions.

Most guys would be better off just bettering their footwork and moving out the way anyway.

Probably because they kick out of weaker stances, negating much of the force

First I think it's important to differentiate that MMA & kickboxing/MT are different sports.

There are many more avenues in MMA to deal with leg kicks than in MT/kickboxing - because there are more ways to deal with leg kicks you aren't going to see checks as frequently as you do in kickboxing/MT. This is one reason you don't see checks as frequently.

You also have to weigh up the fact that everything is determined by risk/reward - because MMA & MT/Kickboxing are different sports the risk/reward for each technique will differ. Anyone smart will go for techniques/applications that offer less risk for more reward. That is another reason you also don't see checks as frequently.

Also I'll add checks aren't the only way to deal with leg kicks.

Off the top of my head in MMA - you can pretty much deal with leg kicks by:
a) Moving out of the way.
b) Eating the leg kick to deliver a punch right down the pipe.
c) Grabbing the leg kick and initiating a takedown
d) Check
e) Grabbing the leg kick, lifting up the leg (putting off balance) & throwing a punch.
f) By having superior boxing (pre-emptive counter to leg kicks)

If I was to rank the list above for the most effective way to deal with leg kicks in MMA - I'd probably put checks towards the bottom. Why? Because I'm ranking it based of risk/reward for MMA.

Eating the leg kick and landing a strong punch in a 4oz glove, grabbing the leg kick/initiating a takedown & gaining top control, grabbing the leg/lifting the leg and throwing a strong punch again in a 4oz glove, moving out of the way and having superior boxing - provide a much better risk/reward ratio.

It's not that checks aren't effective - they are. It's that there are more ways to deal with leg kicks and checks are much more situational technique in MMA than in MT/Kickboxing.

For example if you are a superior grappler - would it make sense to check a leg kick or grab a leg kick and initiate a takedown & go to an area of strength for yourself?

Or if the guy/girl you're fighting is a better kicker - would it make more sense to try your best to check the leg kick or try to grab the kick, close distance and enter punching range by throwing a shot down the pipe?

Then you have to remember how often MMA fighters going to throw leg kicks compared to MT/Kickboxers. That's also why you don't see as many checks.

Checking is one of many solutions in MMA. MMA is also much more situational than MT/Kickboxing precisely because the ruleset allows for more & because their are so many backgrounds/styles in MMA. This is why MMA fighters don't check as often.

Thoughts?

You'd be surprised how many K1 fighters don't check leg kicks.

There is a school of thought around bracing a low kick, dutch fighters tend to lean forward a bit and take the kick in a way that cushions the blow slightly - and alternate between that and checking, but it's not a great way of defending low kicks in my opinion.

Thoughts?

I just want to land my haymakers, brah

not from experience, but Rampage boxed and wrestled, didn't check anything in some fights?

Last edited:
depend son your skill set as well me being a boxer and grappler i love to shoot a hard blast double when they commit to a kick if i didnt react in time i will try to follow up with a big combo best time to attack someone na fight is when they leg kick only 1 post to the ground thats my shot for my opening

First I think it's important to differentiate that MMA & kickboxing/MT are different sports.

There are many more avenues in MMA to deal with leg kicks than in MT/kickboxing - because there are more ways to deal with leg kicks you aren't going to see checks as frequently as you do in kickboxing/MT. This is one reason you don't see checks as frequently.

You also have to weigh up the fact that everything is determined by risk/reward - because MMA & MT/Kickboxing are different sports the risk/reward for each technique will differ. Anyone smart will go for techniques/applications that offer less risk for more reward. That is another reason you also don't see checks as frequently.

Also I'll add checks aren't the only way to deal with leg kicks.

Off the top of my head in MMA - you can pretty much deal with leg kicks by:
a) Moving out of the way.
b) Eating the leg kick to deliver a punch right down the pipe.
c) Grabbing the leg kick and initiating a takedown
d) Check
e) Grabbing the leg kick, lifting up the leg (putting off balance) & throwing a punch.
f) By having superior boxing (pre-emptive counter to leg kicks)

If I was to rank the list above for the most effective way to deal with leg kicks in MMA - I'd probably put checks towards the bottom. Why? Because I'm ranking it based of risk/reward for MMA.

Eating the leg kick and landing a strong punch in a 4oz glove, grabbing the leg kick/initiating a takedown & gaining top control, grabbing the leg/lifting the leg and throwing a strong punch again in a 4oz glove, moving out of the way and having superior boxing - provide a much better risk/reward ratio.

It's not that checks aren't effective - they are. It's that there are more ways to deal with leg kicks and checks are much more situational technique in MMA than in MT/Kickboxing.

For example if you are a superior grappler - would it make sense to check a leg kick or grab a leg kick and initiate a takedown & go to an area of strength for yourself?

Or if the guy/girl you're fighting is a better kicker - would it make more sense to try your best to check the leg kick or try to grab the kick, close distance and enter punching range by throwing a shot down the pipe?

Then you have to remember how often MMA fighters going to throw leg kicks compared to MT/Kickboxers. That's also why you don't see as many checks.

Checking is one of many solutions in MMA. MMA is also much more situational than MT/Kickboxing precisely because the ruleset allows for more & because their are so many backgrounds/styles in MMA. This is why MMA fighters don't check as often.

^^
Pretty much this.
But I would like to add that there are not that many skilled lowkickers in MMA as in MT, KB or knockdown. Also the range in MMA is longer than in kickboxing type sports, it is not ideal for spamming lowkicks.
You do not need to worry about as many (or as hard) lowkicks as in those sports, and then you can eat them if you have to.
Also, checking them means standing on one leg as a reaction -great way to get taken down.

Thoughts?

becauase they are not Muay Thai

Back